1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Medicare supp.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by TEXASZEPHYR, May 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Ok guys, soon to start medicare, and need to start the search for a good medicare suplement and prescription policies. Whats best and which has the best price. Are pre existing conditions a big problem? gonna have to make a decision soon tnx.

Bob

2. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Look at the mounds of mail you are or have received.

Lots of plans available. Others here will probably be helpful.

Im waiting until Jan. 1st.

Regards....Gerald

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

If you're employed now and are on a medical plan through work, you just might have an option to obtain a medicare supplement plan through the same company. That would be the first place to check; especially if your employer will participate in some manner in your supplemental as they may have in your present health plan. Next best? over the hill is dead on. I've been on Medicare for more than 3 years and get more junk mail for supplemental plans than I can carry to the recycle bin in one trip. So, next best is ask around from people in your situation, those that have retired from your employer. AARP is a huge advertiser but remember they are solid anti-gun. It certainly is important so don't put it off......Bob Dodd

4. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

I don't know anyone that fully understands Medi-care. I do understand that it isn't cheap. Part A is free (hospitalization). Part B costs my wife and me about $180 per month (doctor's and other fees). Part C costs us $165 per month (supplimental, the cheapest one) and Part D $60 per month (prescription drug).

Buz

5. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

There are multitudes of options and no sane person can understand them all. My wife is a consultant for this issue and if you drop her an email at xxxjanweg@comcast.netxx (drop the x's) I am sure she can help you for no fee.

You are not alone. She says no one understands it so feel free to use her as a resource.

Jerry

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

AARP may be anti gun...but their suplemental insurance is very good.

Between the wife and I... 3 heart attacks, 2 hip replacements, back surgery,and an Abdominal anurism...all covered between Medicare and AARP Suplemental, at no cost to us.

7. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

My AARP rep at a senior citizens group said to look into Oxford Insurance Plan . Cost me nothing but the SS deduction - $90+ for Medicare . So far -- with no major disabilities or health problems in my past , I am happy with it and I always ask for generic prescriptions if they are available . Some of the plans can run $150 - $400 per month . I use the Oxford Insurance and don`t mention Medicare at all . It also has AARP listed on my card . This plan is always updating for the better . I`ve also have boxes of plans sent to my house prior to me retiring and well after and yes they are very hard to fully understand but none have offered the price of what I`m paying for Oxford .

8. Montep

Montep TS Member

I would see your pharmacy about part D insurance. they can look at your meds and let you know what plan will cover the most. As far as a supplement to your part A and Part B goes I would NEVER reccomend to not have one. I run a Skilled nursing facility and without the supplement you could be looking at over $150 a day if you ever need skilled care. This is the same in a hospital in skilled care.
    The part D plan is also important because the government penilizes you for waiting and taking it later as opposed to right away. They do this because the insurance companies balance out their costs between the people who have small med bills and the people who have large ones. They figure the younger you are the less your bills will be.

9. Don S

Don S Member

https://www.medicare.gov/MPDPF/Public/Include/DataSection/Questions/

Use the Government website to determine the most reasonably priced plan for part D prescrition drugs. Enter all your info and it will give you all the plans available and compare costs.

10. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I don't know all the options but my mother is on part D and as stated the generics are free and others are about half price until you get to your slot, my mothers starts at $2200.00 and then you pay full price to $4000.00. Her monthly payment is $35.00 on top of that. Unfortunately most of her medication(Alheimers) is not generic. Jackie B.

11. tburrey

tburrey Member

My wife turned 65 three years ago and I went through all of this stuff at that time now it's my turn as I turn 65 in October. I'm going with the same stuff as my wife as hers has worked out great and saved us a lot of money. Part A & B medicare and part D through AARP for the drugs. I would recommend you go with a supplement plan and stay away from advantage plans. Here in Florida we've had a couple advantage plans already in financial trouble plus congress is looking into their costs again as tradional medicare seems to be working out cheaper than the advantage plans! One word of caution on the supplement plans is that you have up to six months after you turn 65 and they have to take you if you desire to purchase a plan at the going rate. If you wait longer than six months after you turn 65 or if you go into an advantage plan and then after six months of 65 you decide you want a supplement plan they do not have to take you or they can charge you a much higher premium than they could have in your first six months after turning 65. On the surface many of the advantage plans are cheaper than a supplement plan but the risks down the road were to high for my liking and my wife and I are going with the supplement plans instead while were healthy and have the guarantee of coverage Hope this helps. Tom

12. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Good advice, Tom.

13. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

thanks guys. still looking. turn 65 in sept so have to start getting this stuffn in the mill. Had a by-pass so guess have to make up my mind pretty quick so that i can have all my marbles lined up when the time comes. any more sugestions are welcome. Who does aarp use for their ins?

tnx Bob

14. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Aetna is unquestionably the worst.

The best is Bankers Life. They have a number of plans some of which will pay EVERYTHING that Medicare does not. If it is approved by Medicare, Bankers will pay all of the remainder.

15. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

looks like aarp recommends UHC. That is co that i'm presently with (retired BNSF) and they have payed very well in the past 0$ for a quad bypass. If they do that well for the medicare it may be the way to go. also noticed that they recommended the Hartford, dont know anything about how they are on service. My mom (age 90)has the bankers life, but it seems like their rates keep going up all the time and not to sure about them. gotta still keep on checking them out. UHC doesnt sell to individuals only groups. More research.
    Yhanks guys. Bob

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Yes, the insurance companies got through to the government and created a nice honey hole of retirees for them to mine with supplement considerations.

The jungle of plans out there is almost impossible to navigate without experienced help. There is an agent called "informed Choice" in my area that can clear the cobwebs away, and if they have offices elsewhere I advise checking with them.

In my opinion, AARP is an outfit that was formed to act as a shill for the various insurances they sell. This is not to imply good or bad for the insurance.

Then along came Part D. WOW! A $200 BILLION gift to the pharmaceutical industry from Santa Bush.

The greatest country in the world has way too many vultures flying around.

In the meantime, there are good suggestions here, keep them coming.

HM

17. tburrey

tburrey Member

In addition to what I mentioned in my earlier post the supplement plans offered by the insurance companies are by law all the same only the prices may vary from one company to another. There are four or five basic plans starting from the least expensive to the most expensive. I chose to go with the UHC plan with AARP for various reasons. My wife has lost a kidney and at the time of the operation everything was paid by medicare and the supplement insurance company including the $130 annual deductible with medicare. I chose the most expensive program based on my wife's health problems and pay $145.75 a month for the best plan available. I could of gone with one of the three or four less expensive plans (which also pay somewhat less) but savings was anywhere from twenty to sixty dollars a month. I feel the fifty or sixty bucks difference per month is definately worth the additional coverage. Again, the plans that are offered are all the same as established by the regulators so it's not that difficult to choose your plan based on coverage and cost. Tom

18. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

You can't be refused or the premium adjusted for pre-existing conditions. I took a recommended policy but because I had ongoing health problems I chose a no-deductable policy with doughnut hole coverage. I couldn't have made a luckier choice because my health went south almos immediately and three years later still is. If you take a lot of maintrnance medicine I would contact each company considered and compare co-pays. I went in to the oharmacy this week to get two new bottles of liquid nitroglycerin and found out that now medicare nor my insurance will for it-only pills. To pay for them myself would have been $149.00 per bottle. Naturally at that price I took a case!

19. crusha

crusha TS Member

Wow!

Trappy is being excoriated on a different thread about a possibly, mildly, somewhat less than totally pro-gun statement he made two years ago...and lookeee here, it turns out everybody is helping prop up AARP (an anti-gun organization funded by insurance company kick-backs from the insurance plans they sell).

Trappy doesn't want his SCTP coach to look askance at him...and you don't want your sick wife to go without health care. Well, gee...

As Thomas Friedman said, "We're all Frenchmen now..."...aren't we?

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.