1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEDICAL PORT IN CHEST/SHOOTING WITH

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shoot2win, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shoot2win

shoot2win TS Member

A shooting friend of mine has to undergo a 2 yr. cancer treatment program using one of those "ports" placed pretty much in the center of his chest. His doctor does not know whether it is ok for him to shoot trap or not with a port. My friend (does not have computer access) asked me to post this to see if anyone else on here has had a port and shot the clay sports with it in? Thank you.

Bill

2. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

My Dad has one. His is on the chest near his shoulder and the surgeon asked him if he shot before placing the port. It was placed where he is able to shoot, sort of, don't think the surgeon shot much. Dad even asked the MD again if it was ok since it was not completely out of his mounting pocket. Doc said no problem. For peace of mind, he uses one of those Bob Allen pads that you strap on your shoulder.

Placement of the port in the shoulder may have less restrictions on activity than one in the chest. One would think the Doctor should have known what activities would be restricted or not.

Good luck to your friend.

Rod

3. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

<I>"His doctor does not know whether it is ok for him to shoot trap or not with a port."</I>

Then I'd find a doctor that DOES know for sure. Every patient is different and every situation is different. What may be allowed for 1 person my not be for another. A public forum is NOT the place to look for information like this.

Mike K

4. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Shouldn't be a problem as long as it's not on the same side as his gun mount.
    They are usuall placed between the collar bone and the nipple.
    He should give it 3-4 weeks to heal.

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

If you have a PortaCath because you have cancer you're getting chemo and your immune system has been weakened. I got a bacterial infection and almost died. It's close to your heart. Don't fool with it, it's not worth it.

6. earlsue

earlsue TS Member

I have one. I told the Dr to put it on the left side, he said no problem, I am not the first to ask this. It has not bothered me at all. Don Cain

7. RAD

RAD Member

I'm a right hand shooter,had my port put on my left side.Had no problem with the port.

8. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I had a port put in for the chemo. Never thought to ask about shooting. The Dr placed it on my right side, near my collarbone. It's about 3"-4" away from my gun mount shoulder pocket.

A few months after it was put in, I went to the Grand. Before any shooting, I asked my Oncologist if shooting was OK. He asked me how I mounted the gun and I showed him. He said "I don't see a problem as long as you don't mount the gun over the port."

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

PS Just finished 6 months of chemo. Yea. <:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

medical port in chest

rifle shooting with a portacath