1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Medical costs for dogs

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by copper, Jun 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. copper

copper Member

Well Pearl my Vizla has a growth looks like extra nipple , she chews it so decided should be looked and removed. Now vet looks at it not to concerned yes should remove will give written estimate, I go well not realy necessary want it done, how much can it be. Well how about $550.00. Anyone think this is high. Dave

2. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

seems high to me, I had a huge growth removed from my lab last year and we are talking the size of a grapefruit, major surgery, and it was about $900....some years ago, he had another lump the size of an almond removed from the top of his head, under $400

3. copper

copper Member

Well I was exspecting about $250.00 tops. I have had lots of pets and things done, but this caught me by suprise. They had flyers for pet medical inurance on the counter I laughed. I had a basil cell removed from the side of my neck last year, the DR worked for over and hour was around a $1,000.00 . I figure his insurance and operating cost are more than the Vet. Dave just Did a quick web serch and found someone asking same question , on ask the exsperts site and answer was $150.00 to $250.00 total more like it

4. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Vet costs are getting or are excessive in my opinion.

I have 2 aging labs (12) and each time I take them in its 2-300.00 each.

Just had the yellow in for shots, bloodtest for heart worm, stool sample,etc., bottom line 317.00.

They did give me some free arthritis medicine. Have to get him tested again in 14 days to check for liver or other organ function. Blood test 97.00.

I heard that vetrinary medicine is one of the hot vocations to be in. Now I believe it.

Regards....Gerald

5. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

For some time, people have been increasing their demand for the same level of health care for their pets that they want for themselves. This has lead to the development of new high-tech procedures, tests, equipment, staff, training and facilities. These advances have to be paid for. Whether you personally use them or not, the costs of providing advanced and specialized health care for your dog are going to be part of your charges. And keep in mind that while you can go to a physician, a dentist, eye doctor, a dermatologist etc. for each of your problems, you expect one vet to be able to deal with all of these problems for your dog.

Carol Lister

6. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

There's more money in animal care today then being a general practitioner. When osalama gets his socialized health care enacted doctors will be fleeing. I know a trapshooter who has spent close to $16,000 on his dog curing it of cancer. They know how much people are attached to their pets and take advantage of it. Copper, see a few more vets and maybe you can save some money.

7. copper

copper Member

I undestand increase costs but and that vets are like the GP of pets. When I do a web serch and find that a vet says it should be half that cost, I feel kind of victimized. I had and old country vet that would hand me gloves ,and I became and assistant ,those days are gone .and he did good work. I have had lots of vet bills through the years this estimate is excessive I think. Dave

8. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Forget the old country vets, there all gone and their replacements are the get rich quick type.

9. 1oz

1oz Member

Yes they see us coming . We has Siberian Huskys 1 male tore both of his acl's Thank god he only has 2 hind legs . After very close to $10,000 yep he's walking , running stronger than ever. Mrs cant hold him back . Anyway I wished I had purchased the dog insurance . Me an neighbor were talking about this just look at the cost of the meds heartworm meds cattle vers dogs . You tell me we aint being taken . My 2 cent

10. CharlieP

CharlieP TS Member

"From: TOOLMAKER 251
    Email:
    Date: Sun, Jun 21, 2009 - 10:08 AM ET
    Website Address:

There's more money in animal care today then being a general practitioner. When osalama gets his socialized health care enacted doctors will be fleeing. I know a trapshooter who has spent close to $16,000 on his dog curing it of cancer. They know how much people are attached to their pets and take advantage of it. Copper, see a few more vets and maybe you can save some money. "

Try getting a human cured of cancer for $16K. Vets may seem expensive, but animal care for the same treatment and disease is about 1/10 as for humans.

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

copper

"They had flyers for pet medical inurance on the counter I laughed."

I think that that was your big mistake. My wife has a Siamese cat just about two years old now. He was ten weeks old when she got him. She made an appointment for the Vet to give him a check up and get another set of shots.

She brought home one of those fliers and read it and then she sign him up for the medical insurance. The only thing she has paid for is that initial check up and those shots.

For about twelve buck a month we have no Vet bills at all they have neutered this cat (her doing not mine) and he goes in for a check up every six months. It still cost nothing more than a monthly payment for the insurance.

So when your Vet bill is higher than you would like just remember how much your laughter is costing you.....LOL

Bob Lawless

12. d endicott

d endicott Member

I have 2 German Shorthairs, their yearly check up with shots is over $200.00 each

13. copper

copper Member

Well if we get anouther dog to keep Pearl company as my wife is trying to get me to do . I will be looking at the pet health insurance two cats two dogs, I am not hunting poor Pearl enough to warent one dog. But am vowing to try harder. It might be worth it just to see the look on my dads face when I tell him health insurance for the dog and he goes what the hell did you say. OH WELL Whats next Dave

14. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Well, maybe they are making up for all of the farmers that can't pay their bills on the large animals. My brother is a veterinarian on large animals only. He is having a hard time with farmers right now being able to pay. High fuel and fertilizer costs against low grain and milk prices just aint making it. Just a guess with you guys unless your vet is small animal only.

Steve

15. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Veterinary work has turned into a major cash cow. What Carol says is true, but it is equally true that maybe two decadesago some shrewd person realised that pets were the new "children" that people weren't having. There are major groups that have purchased many of the long standing vet operations. VCA is one group I know of that has over 470 vet operations. These are run as pure businesses for maximum profit. It pays to ask around to people you know who they use and do they like them and what they charge. Try to find a vet who is independent of the big ownership groups. My dentist and my vet both are independent of any of the big groups and both deliver stellar work at reasonable prices.

16. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

"I have 2 German Shorthairs, their yearly check up with shots is over $200.00 each"

I just took 2 pointers to the trainer,,,,I had to stop at a vet in a small town in OK,,,,got rabies, 5-way, stool sample taken, and overall checkup for........$150.

If you are going to take your animals to the vet for "every" little thing, it is going to cost you. I give my own puppy shots, remove dew claws, trim their nails and everything I can, thereby keeping my costs lower. Botique or speciality vets WILL cost more, they have more education so you SHOULD have to pay more for that education,,,,if you want the "pampering", you are going to have to pay for that as well....

"Forget the old country vets, there all gone and their replacements are the get rich quick type."

You just have to get to the "country" to get a country vet,,,,suburbs don't count....

17. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

<blockquote>"Forget the old country vets, there all gone and their replacements are the get rich quick type."</blockquote>If people weren't lining up to pay for their services, the "get rich quick type" wouldn't be getting so rich, now would they?

Lister

18. d endicott

d endicott Member

I don't think that Central/Eastern Oregon would be considered suburbs would you?

19. copper

copper Member

Well NE PA Wonder maybe I will go north a little and see, they see pure breed hunting dog and get out big pencil . If she was not bothering it I would not be to concerned. Small not stationary so all point to sist like thing. Well we will see. Dave

20. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

just have ONE vet there or ONE town,,,,ever try negotiations,,,,costs can be lower in some areas,,,,but with the ones that I have used in Missouri, Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma and Iowa, there has not been a problem with costs,,,,you also just have to decide what you are willing to pay,,,,some are just willing to pay more....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.