1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Medial Meniscus (Knee Problem)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Chango2, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Well...last year it was repair of a bad rotator cuff, a very badly injured one, and now it seems that my left knee's medial meniscus wants attention. Likely will need another round of orthroscopic surgery. MRI scheduled for Tuesday, had X-Ray on Wednesday. I have a very respected and "good" doctor who does "my" work for these repairs. What I thought were mild injuries in my 20's, injuries that I ignored at the time, are coming back to demand their due attention. BTW, shoulder came out just great thanks to Dr. Wm. Stetson of Burbank, California. (Unabashed plug...)

Question: Anybody else "been there, done that" re. knees? Knee let go with lotsa pain in the medial area about a month ago. I kinda figured. It hurts more after walking a bit, picking up heavier things, and pushing in a heavy clutch.

So..laughingly feeling sorry for self, anybody else "been there" and what was the disposition after the diagnosis or procedure(s)? Standing and shooting more than, say two rounds of trap on one day does not sound appealing at all...as does pushing in a clutch.

2. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Eastern Washington
    Two surgeries on right knee. First took out the inside ring, second 10 years later had the remaining taken out. Both were day surgery's. Second time had to stay off it for 2 weeks.

The "Popping" is very loud and annoying at times. If I turn just right it lets go and I get some pretty funny expressions from anyone around when it happens.

Right now, its doing its own thing and when the pain comes back, they'll replace my knee.

And as my doctor told me, the meniscus is not a living tissue so the "products" that claim to repair and regrow it, Don't bother buying.
  3. mobear

mobear Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Way to many arthos on both knees, the final injury to my right knee required having a knee replacement surgery. Didn't realize how bad the knee was until it was replaced, will probably need the left knee done before I hit 50.

One warning about MRI's, they don't do a very good job of showing the true damage to a knee, I had one done on the right knee after the major injury, and they said all they saw was torn meniscus, and a slight tear on the acl, the did a scope on the knee and found that I had torn the meniscus completly off the femur and it was floating around in the knee, it was the size of a silver dollar, and the slight tear of the acl was a complete tear.
  4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I had parts of the meniscus in both knees removed in the mid to late 1980s. One knee healed up quickly. The other caused problems and I wound up being declared partially disabled because of it. Problem is both knees were about the same and I've forgotten which one is the disabled one LOL.

Wrecked my left knee again last summer. It's bad this time. Had a CAT scan done. The doctor said he had bad news and bad news. I asked for the bad news first. The meniscus is badly split and torn inside, and much of it would have to be cut out to fix it. The other bad news is this will wind up with bone on bone contact, and that will degenerate into crippling arthritis. He said to see how things go and we'll make a decision whether to operate or not this winter or spring. Not sure what I'm going to do but I think I've screwed the pooch on this one.
  5. redfin

redfin TS Member

Jan 3, 2013
    i had a torn meniscus disk 2 years ago ,had it fixed ,no problem.it was done
    orthascopicly,3 tiny little holes in my knee,3 bandaids.18,000 bucks,i had to shell out 3000 out of pocket. joseph
  6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2006
    S-E PA
    The Meniscuses (medial and lateral) sit on top of the Tibia - they look a lot like sections of an orange.

They provide the 'walls' of the joint that keep the bottom end of the Femur in place.

Typical surgery is to remove pieces that have been torn (crushed) and are hanging into the joint space. Pinch a piece between the two bones and 'hello' pain.

Knee will be filled with fluid to pressurize and expand the joint capsule and to flush blood, etc. out so they can see. Tool used resembles a drill bit inside a tube with a small window - used to cut away the pieces that hang into the joint space.

If that is all then procedure should go quickly and healing should be fast. If there is arthritis in the bone itself pain can remain - even get worse post surgery. Spend a lot of time going over the prognosis with MD AFTER the MRI and before surgery.

I am making an assumption from the rotator cuff surgery that you are older rather than younger, so arthritis should be a concern for you as a post-op issue. Not that this would stop you from having the surgery, just to inform that the recovery may be longer than you might like, and that you may still have pain, etc.

You need to really listen to the MD and the PT who will supervise your recovery...

Good luck - ask for the video of the surgery (done with micro video cameras and is really interesting to watch). Above video shows probing of the joint - not the cutting.
  7. avery53

avery53 Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Northern Michigan
    OUCH, I've had both knee's trimmed, once when younger, the other when I was about 50.
    The recovery time on the last one was quite a bit longer than the first. You probably won't be shooting for awhile.

Good luck!
  8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Jan 29, 1998
    I must be getting it in my Ankle left one swells up when I walk on iot and it snaps and crackles just barely moving it, am takining Glucosomine

Gary Bryant
  9. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Two knees and a shoulder and right now with the cold and snow they all give me pain! Handful of Ibuprofhen before bedtime helps and next month to Florida for a month will help also. 65 yrs. old and it seems to get worse as I get older.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.