1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Medals versus Money

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bluedsteel, Oct 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I would be curious to know how folks felt about medals versus money as prizes. I thought an excellent point was made in the letters section of the November 2009 issue of Shotgun Sports magazine. The letter writer mentioned that a medal or trophy was always more meaningful to him as a prize than money.

I agree 100%.

As the writer mentioned, if I wanted to earn money, I would work on my Saturday, not compete in a trap shoot.

The money is quickly spent (blown) and forgotten, but a trophy or medal can be a lifelong reminder of a success or accomplishment.

In fact, awarding medals instead of money could be advantageous to the club sponsoring the shoot. I see several websites that sell nice trap medals for example, in gold, silver, or bronze color, along with an attactive neck ribbon for between $5 and $6 each! The medals I saw were nicely done, and required no engraving or effort on the part of shoot management, other than occasionally placing an order.

I don't often win, but in the rare cases I do win, I am handed like 15-20$. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate anything, but I would gladly prefer the $5 medal and let the club keep the remaining 10-15$.

I have also noticed that new shooters as well as young shooters are thrilled when they are handed something like a medal or trophy, and it seems this would be a way to attract and sustain more participants.

...just my 2 cents...

bluedsteel

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

You can have both. Pretty simple procedure too.

Curt

3. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Money id soon gone. For shooters like me who started late in life at the game a trophy or something like that is well remembered. It doesn't happen that often.

4. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I'd love to see a picture of Leo riding his new trophy skateboard and listening to the Ipod he just won at the State shoot!

Guy B.

5. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

I would much prefer trophies to money. I make a special trip to buckle shoots for instance, and treasure the few awards I've won over the years. I don't 'play the money' at all, as the reason I'm there is to enjoy the camaraderie and friendship as well as the competition.

My observation from the younger shooters is they would prefer trophies by a wide margin. I understand there was very good attendance at the Grand for the lap top prize shoot off.

6. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

bluedsteel

I am in complete aggrement with you. A few dollars, a box of shells or some other innocuous trophy holds no meaning after you put it in the car and are on your way home. A medal with and inscription will have meaning years down the road......

7. high 2

high 2 Member

I`m 180 off from you guys. Trinkets and crystal plates take up room and don`t get used. When a new shooter starts competition shooting they DO want the trophies and such. For me I would rather win cash or shells or primers or something that will make my gun go off. That`s just me and I know I`m in the minority.

8. otnot

otnot Active Member

I would rather win a metal car like in the old days.

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Actually gary, I have been thinking about that for our club

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

Those that have won a lot of trinkets likely have a different perspective than those who have won very little.

My two Grand trophies this year may be worth less than $300 but mean more to me than 10 flats of Gun Clubs.

Clubs should err on the side of trinkets. I know a few older guys who have buckets of buckles and may complain about "cheap" trophies but still shoot. Trophies keep the new, young and average shooters shooting.

Don Verna

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If the trophys are of good quality and worth while displaying thats one thing but when you win and get some cheap piece of crap trophy that you'd rather hide than display it takes a lot of the shine off of the win ... How many Belt buckles can one man use for crying out loud ... I got a buckle that I won over 20 years ago and still have not used it and I don't want another belt so that I can ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I would take a medal over money, unless the amount was $100 or more. Less than that, I would rather have something to show for it. Medals are a lot more easily displayed than are big trophies that you have to set on a table or something. You can frame them along with a pic and they make a beautiful wall hanging. If you win a lot of medals, you can hang them all together and it doesn't take up your whole room (or house in some people's case).

For shoots like the Grand, I love the fact that they give out the championship rings.

13. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

I agree with the majority on this one. Because I just don't win that many...I prefer a little trophy or medal that I can keep and remind me that on that given day I did pretty well........Uncle Sam, Pa.

14. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Young shooters generally don't have to pay their own entry fee or buy their own shells or guns let alone travel expenses for that matter so of course they would prefer a trophy. Shooters who don't shoot much or win very often don't spend much money so the payout is minamal. Sure they would like a trophy when they win that would be normal. When the dust collectors and tarnish makers get to a point that you've forgotten what they were for and the wife complains about the collection of junk that belongs in a box in the attic then you start to prefer money to off set your shooting costs. A "Nice" trophy for a major win at a State Shoot, the Grand, or some other large or special event is great but other wise let me have the bucks and a $7.00 pin and I'm more than happy.
    Post-2

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Desk top pen and pencil sets, wooden horse with a clock in its belly, clay targets painted gold and glued to a piece of wood (Plaque), little plastic trophys with a guy holding a gun on top, assorted Belt Buckles, the list goes on and on ... Give those that want trophys some little trinket and give those who shoot for the money, more money ... Unless its some nice leather bags or something worth something, give the ladies a new broom and see if they can remember how to use it or how it works or money and see what they take ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

No offense to any ladies out there ...

16. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The memories a buckle or trophy bring back are priceless.. The few dollars I would ever win would mean little.. The resulting bag and buckle from my one day of glory reminds me.. IF I put my heart and soul into something.. I can come out on top.. A marker for determination.. Just my .02 cent..

17. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

PerazziBigBore nailed it for me. Trap is a hobby for me and it's supposed to be relaxing and fun. It is for me, most of the time.

In the same context as WPT's idea of broom trophies for the ladies, maybe we could get some of the clubs to offer spelling classes for the some of the men.

18. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Shooting for money is okay but over the years the options and purses have not kept up with inflation. The shoot sponsors want to keep their entry low so don't raise the option prices. If the money entry for a good sized handicap was $200 instead of $20 the folks who think they are pretty good shots would be out there sweating - hoping to win.

On the other hand, I wear a belt with a sterling silver buckle won about 35 years ago - and wear it every day. All the ladies in my doctor's office are fascinated.

19. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

IF I was in the trophy business, I would make small wall hung plaques out of some of the exotic wood used in gun stocks. Most shooters admire pretty wood.

20. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Some say young shooters always want trinkets instead of money. All one has to do is ask those former All-American junior and sub-juniors where all those dishes and bowls they won are today. My guess they're in the same place my former All-American son keeps his-collecting dust in boxes in the basement.

It cost me around $18,000/year to keep him shooting for that team in the 90's. I'm sure it's considerably more today. Winning a few hundred bucks always made next weeks shooting a little easier on his parents pocketbook!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.