1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Medal of Honor Recipient Ed Freeman died yesterday

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by chipking, Aug 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chipking

chipking TS Member

You're an 18 or 19 year old kid.You're critically wounded, and dying in the jungle in the Ia Drang Valley, 11-14-1965.

LZ Xray, Vietnam.

Your Infantry Unit is outnumbered 8 - 1, and the enemy fire is so intense, from 100 or 200 yards away, that your own Infantry Commander has ordered the Medi-Vac helicopters to stop coming in.

You're lying there, listening to the enemy machine guns, and you know you're not getting out. Your family is 1/2 way around the world, 12,000 miles away, and you'll never see them again. As the world starts to fade in and out, you know this is the day.

Then, over the machine gun noise, you faintly hear that sound of a helicopter, and you look up to see a Huey, but it doesn't seem real, because no Medi-Vac markings are on it.

Ed Freeman is coming for you. He's not Medi-Vac, so it's not his job, but he's flying his Huey down into the machine gun fire, after the Medi-Vacs were ordered not to come.

He's coming anyway. And he drops it in, and sits there in the machine gun fire, as they load 2 or 3 of you on board. Then he flies you up and out through the gunfire, to the Doctors and Nurses.

And, he kept coming back......13 more times..... and took about 30 of you and your buddies out, who would never have gotten out.

Medal of Honor Recipient Ed Freeman died yesterday at 80,

From one who served in the Green Hell THANK YOU Ed Freeman and may GOD Bless

Semper FI

--- Chip King ---

2. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Ed W. "Too Tall" Freeman (November 1927 - August 20, 2008)

Ok didn't know of him until now but he was a hero for sure, I bet the family of the guy's he got out will never forget his efforts to bring them out sometimes it pays to not listen to your superior's.

Rest in Peace

Foggy

3. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Ok notice at the end of the post who got him the medal of honor.

ok here is the guy below read the whole post.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/foghorn220/military/?action=view&current=McCain_at_Annapolis.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/foghorn220/military/?action=view¤t=edfreeman4.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Helicopter Pilot and Congressional Medal of Honor recipient Ed “Too Tall” Freeman of Boise, Idaho died Wednesday, August 20, at about 8:30 a.m. from complications from Parkinson’s disease. Freeman had lived in Idaho for the past 30 years. He was 80 years old.

Freeman was born on a small farm in Neely, Mississippi on November 20, 1927. He quit high school at 17 and joined the Navy in 1945. What followed was a long and illustrious military career that also included serving as a U.S. Army infantryman in Korea, and as a U.S. Army helicopter pilot in Vietnam. Freeman also served a couple of tours as flight instructor. After retiring from the Army as a Major, Mr. Freeman continued to fly a variety of missions for the U.S. Department of the Interior, and the Bureau of Land Management. Freeman’s missions included herding wild horses, capturing big-horn sheep, firefighting, and topography and mapping assignments. He was rated for both airplanes and helicopters, but always preferred helicopters. He was also Chief Pilot for Intermountain Helicopters.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/foghorn220/military/?action=view¤t=Ed_freeman_2001.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Freeman receives the Congressional Medal of Honor from President George W. Bush

Over the last 20 years, Freeman had logged 17,000 hours of helicopter flight time. His total flight time representing his 36 years behind the stick, from 1955 to 1991, totaled 22,000 hours.

As the story goes, during Korea he suffered frostbite and was transported by helicopter medevac to a MASH hospital. It was then that he decided to become a helicopter pilot. He got the nickname “Too Tall” because he was six feet four. At that time you had to be six feet or less to fly. Eventually the regulations were changed. It was a good thing too, as Freeman would go on to be honored for his heroic services in Vietnam, where he piloted a helicopter and saved more than 30 men during the war. His heroics grew nationwide attention when his character was featured in Mel Gibson's war movie, "We Were Soldiers." Actor Mark McCracken played the character of Ed "Too Tall" Freeman in the movie.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/foghorn220/military/?action=view¤t=huey.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

UH-1 helicopter insertion in Vietnam, much like those performed by Freeman

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/foghorn220/military/?action=view¤t=edfreeman3.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Ed Freeman speaks at one of the annual Twirly Bird receptions.

On November 14, 1965, as a flight leader and second in command of a 16-helicopter lift unit, Freeman supported a heavily engaged infantry battalion at Landing Zone X-Ray in the la Drang Valley. An Army battalion unit nearly out of ammunition and surrounded by enemy forces was in a very desperate situation. At great personal risk, Freeman flew his unarmed helicopter through enemy fire to deliver water, ammunition, and supplies, even though the helicopter landing zone had been closed. In all, Freeman flew 14 separate rescue missions that resulted in the successful evacuation of 30 seriously wounded soldiers.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/foghorn220/military/?action=view¤t=edfreeman2b.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Freeman prepares to receive the Medal of Honor at the White House

Thirty-six years later, in an East Room ceremony at the White House, the former Army helicopter pilot received the Medal of Honor from President George W. Bush. Bruce Crandall, Freeman’s company commander had made the recommendation to the Pentagon, which then forwarded it to Congress. There with the help of then Congressman John McCain, of Arizona, a former Navy pilot, the recommendation traveled through Congress and to final approval.

HAI extends its deepest sympathy to Ed “Too Tall” Freeman’s family. He will be missed. Freeman's funeral will be held at 11 a.m. at 2760 E Fairview Ave. in Meridian. Burial will be at Idaho State Veterans Cemetery.

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Thank God for men like Ed Freeman!

I salute him and his memory!

Hauxfan!

5. shadow

shadow Active Member

May our "Good and Faithful Servant" Rest in Peace, Job Well Done.

6. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

The selfless acts of a man tall in stature and big on bravery have certainly earned him a place in the memory of us all. Having many of my family men who are currently serving and have served, I was moved when I read about his rescue efforts.

Rest in Peace.

7. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

My boss was a "46" pilot during Vietnam and I hear the stories when other Marines(+Army / Navy) come in our shop. It's interesting to hear directly from those that endured and fought during this war.

8. zelmo96

zelmo96 Member

SIR, the honor was all ours. This is a real AMERICAN. May you rest in peace SIR. Al Baker

9. beaker100

beaker100 Member

thank you Too Tall

10. eagles11

eagles11 TS Member

This brings tears to my eyes. To see in action service above self is an inspiring event. This nation is blessed to have so many who do so by military service as well as other means. What is more inspiring is the reaction these days to those who do serve us by the ones who are served. America is waking up to the fact that it is these folks who give us our freedom by protecting it.

God love those who provide us with our freedom and show us how to be honorable.

God love this man and keep him close.

Jack Burch

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

He was laid to rest a couple blocks behind my home in the Idaho Veterans cemetery. I walked back there last week

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

To me, this story was happy and sad at the same time. I did not know Ed Freeman and I do not ever recall hearing his name before this thread. I have to ask how many others have given heroic actions and great sacrifice so that I can sit in a soft chair, eat dinner and go to bed in comfort tonight? I sincerely thank Ed and all of the others. I owe all of you a great debt and I do not know how to pay you.

Pat Ireland

13. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

What a brave and wonderful man. The tear glands kicked in on this one.

Booger

14. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

God Bless "To Tall"

15. nipper

nipper TS Member

peace be with you sir

bill

16. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

"I have to ask how many others have given heroic actions and great sacrifice so that I can sit in a soft chair, eat dinner and go to bed in comfort tonight? I sincerely thank Ed and all of the others. I owe all of you a great debt and I do not know how to pay you."

I'd like to think our continued recognition and pride in those who gave some, or gave all, will have to suffice...

Our Old Hero's are dying.
    But, we will always have new Hero's in Harms Way.
    Let Us not Forget!!

17. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Salute to a Very Fine American. May you rest at ease.

18. Hollywood Marine

Hollywood Marine TS Member

A great and brave American has left us. Ours is the loss. God bless him.
    Doug Humble

19. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

To those engaged with enemy forces in that "Green Hell"...There was NOTHING ON THE PLANET more welcome than the sound of a Huey coming in.
    MANY THANKS to all the heroes who kept us goin'.
    R.I.P. Too Tall...

20. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Having made a number of combat air assults as a Grunt, and I might add, scared to death each time. It always amazed me how those crews could to it day after day. And in some cases, many times a day like "To Tall." One hell-of-a-man. Rest in peace!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.