1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Medal of Honor - Dakota Meyer

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blade819, Sep 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I urge everyone to learn more about this young Marine from Columbia Kentucky. Then, go to his Facebook page and thank him for what he has done. He is a young man who everyone should be proud of.

blade819

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

I had a chance to meet him Saturday at the Arlington Fairfax IWLA during the Pull for our Heroes shoot sponsored by Patriots Path Foundation. It was an honor to meet and speak with him.

The attached website has a report on the actions that earned this remarkable young man the Medal Of Honor.

As with most true heroes he says very little about his actions on that day and talks about the bravery of his brothers in arms.

--- Chip King ---

3. blade819

I just watched the ceremony on TV. His actions were incredible. If us "older" folk ever bogg down and start think that our young people today are the "do nothing generatiuon", all you have to do is meet some of these young men and women who defend our country and values. God Bless them all!

blade819

4. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

He is a fine young and a great example of a young Marine doing his job.

Don

5. ONEDOLLARBILL

ONEDOLLARBILL Member

I only wish more young people would follow the FINE example this Brave Young man has set, I was also surprise to hear how he thinks of himself as ordinary,Extraordinary in it self ! SEMPER FI !

6. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

God Bless him and all service men and women.

7. willing

willing Member

I watched the ceremony on Fox news, the caption stated ARMY. I'll bet that got them some calls from irate Marines.
    Bill

8. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

He is a fine young man; brave and deserving of our recognition.

If any of you have access to this month's Army Times, read the article about the Army Soldier who was fighting along side Meyer - who received nothing - not even a commendation. This isn't to take anythng away from Meyer, but just to point out how many heros actually walk among us - the vast majority anonymously.

9. blade819

M R Ducks............I agree with you. It has always been like that throughout our wars.

blade819

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

They are all amazing- the young men and women. This particular operation made heroes forever out of two who were recognized.

They dont accept the honors bestowed upon them lightly, nor do they even think they should have such honors but without a doubt these Marines and all that serve today are the best that America has and are truly part of a great genearation of service men and women.

Regards and a salute from Iowa

Gene
    U.S. Army retired

11. Kerz

Kerz Member

He exemplifies the reasons to be a proud American and fellow Kentuckian.
    Vic

12. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

"Does the Army Times article also detail the abysmal support for the patrol from the 10th Mtn. when shit hit the fan ?

http://kitup.military.com/2010/02/ganjgal-investigation-shows-lack-of-support-from-10th-mountain.html"

I wouldn't jump to any conclusion. The comments left by the user "noseeum" in the comments section, says it all. To paraphrase, if you weren't there, then you don't really know what were the circumstances surrounding this incident.

13. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

The case surrounding Pat Tillman is a prime example of why you need to have been there to really know what happened. How many versions of what really happened have come out of this incident?

Additionally, the actions of a select few in the 10th does not represent the unit as a whole. Just like the select few involved in the Abu Ghrarib detainee fiasco do not reflect their MP unit or the Army as a whole.

14. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Did anybody see 60-Minutes? Dakota Meyer is the Genuine Article but the negligence that killed all those guys is sickening. Air support was readily available, 5-10 minutes away, and was repeatedly denied for 1 hour, 45 minutes.

The segment ended on this exchange:

INTERVIEWER: "It's been two years since that operation. It's still not safe to go into Ganjgal."

MEYER: "It's not."

INTERVIEWER: "For all that loss of life, for all your courage, what was gained?"

MEYER: (Long pause) "Nothing. Nothing. But at the end of the day we still did our job, were still fighting."

-Gary

15. RAScott

RAScott Member

I watched that tonight. I am proud of our service men and women. It blows my mind that the support was denied for 1hour and 45 minutes. Not for nothing but if we cant fight to win, what the HELL are we doing there? We should have lit up that village. those savages have been like that for thousands of years and will remain like that for thousands of years.

God bless the men and women of our armed forces!

16. 03a3

03a3 TS Member

I was squaded with Dakota at the Arlington Fairfax IWLA during the Pull for our Heroes shoot. Very humble young man and it was the highlight of my day.
    [​IMG]

17. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

GW22, Gary,

Did you see the part at the medal ceremony, where they showed the other Marine in the audience?

They said he was also awarded the medal, but all his paperwork was lost, and was re-submitted!!!

Both are amazing Americans!

Danny

18. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I did see that, Danny. Amazing Americans indeed.

It saddens me how many of their lives are being wasted over there for no apparent reason. Longest war in U.S. history. And for what?

-Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.