1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC'S new primer tray assembly

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gyrine, Jul 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

MEC

I have been using the new MEC large primer assembly for about two months now on my 9000 and my experience is that it is far from an improvement. The primer feed system seems to be the MEC weak link and I think this new item creates far more problems than it solves. For me it takes constant tinkering to keep it in adjustment. If anybody asked me, I would say "save your money".

2. capvan

capvan Active Member

Well, I've been using one since they first came out and I have had zero problems. I was careful with the initial setup and tightened everything down once it was working. I still keep on eye on the primer drop, but the hiccups have been few and far between. I load around 2,000+ shells a year.

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Aside from the occasional adjustment, cleaning, and drop of graphite, mine have been pretty much trouble free, provided they were set up right from the beginning. The first thing I look at when they go "Out Of Adjustment" is the operating handle, to see if it is bending or starting to crack at the bends.

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Pretty much trouble free for me too. But, you still have to keep an eye on the primer to see that it did drop.

Other than that, it's good to go.....

Hauxfan!

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Hauxfan! 8 years and counting. Hi Dave! Hap

6. dugout

dugout TS Member

Gyrine;
    I agree with you. After using both I get along as well or better with the bead chain primer feed. There is far less hanging off the press, in the way, and I find the old system more reliable and easier to shut down than the new one. I'm running 4 9000s all with the old systems, now, swapped over from my old 650s.

7. atexaspete

atexaspete Member

I have a "slightly used" newer (200 primer) model and 2 of the older (100 primer) ones that are NIB. I will sell them for $50 for the new model (used) and $40 for the new (older models) shipping included.
    Any interest send me a PM.
    Thanks,
    Mike

8. psfive

psfive Member

Had the old ball chain worked on it more than anything else. I got the new one could not make it work - hated it. I called MEC told them of my problem. They said I bet you got one that has a bent bracket. They sent me a new one right away. I compared them and could m=not see any difference. Put the new one on and have not looked back. Thousands andthousands of primersand still going. I love it. Paul

9. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I switched to the new one and had about 1 primer failure per 100. I know about the tricks, waxes, silicones, etc. Was not happy but was going to keep tweaking until it was perfect. For some unknown reason the arm began cracking on my new tray after less than 500 loads. Switched back to the old style.

With the old style I have it working nicely with very rare primer drop failure. Today was a reload marathon in prep for a 3 day shoot my son and I are attending. Loaded 1200 shells without one failure using the old tray. I load 12,000-15,000 shells per year and with the old style, estimate I experience a primer drop failure of 1 in 800-900.

If you buy a new machine with the new style tray, that’s just fine. But not worth the upgrade. Personally, I like the old ball and chain…but that may be just because I am so accustomed to its quirks.

10. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

On the advice of Jim Forebach I got out a medium sized adjustable wrench and did some minor bending and tweeking on the black steel bracket. Seems to be working real good now, just needed a little blacksmith work. Still in my opinion the unit is not worth the cost over the ball and chain model. I use both types side by side. The new one is easier to load and does keep the occasional primer from falling over and jamming the works. Thanks Jim. Rich

11. cafowler

cafowler Member

Couldn't disagree more w/ original post.

Put the new one on last summer and have had only 1 single primer issue in app 35 flats of re-loading since then. The old was a major PIA, problems every box. Sounds to me like yours may not be installed/adjusted just right? Instructions say use a little Pledge to wipe it down once in a while, and I think that does make a big difference and really helps all those little primers flow thru that thing real smooth. I wouldn't use a MEC without the new primer feed. To each his own.

12. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Well worth the upgrade.......GOOD LUCK

13. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I have 2 new Primer trays one on a 12ga and the other on a 20ga reloader. No problems. I wish it was a 400 primer tray instead of a 200 primer tray.

14. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

My 9000's have the old style primer feed, and with some minor modifications and fine tuning, they rarely ever fail to function properly.

15. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

I sell these new 200 count MEC primer trays, and I can't keep them in stock. If someone buys one, they ultimately buy 3 more for their other machines. Most of these folks are using Cheddites, and the bulky red plastic trays don't load too well in the old style MEC trays. The new trays work well with all types of primers. The Pledge trick is definitely a must. They are a bit tricky to get working well initially, but once they are set correctly, there's no turning back. If you're not satisfied with the new tray, you owe it to yourself to tweak it a bit more. There's no reason for the new tray not to work well.

16. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

So far, since the 70s, I've had no reason to change from the original primer feed on two MECs. Gotta a nabor though that swears his new style primer tray is better than sliced bread. Whatever spins your wheels I reckon.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

17. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

Make sure that you have the tray pushed ALL THE WAY UP when you begin. If you don't the primers may get hung up. I wouldn't even think of going back to the old style. Nothing better that filling up the new tray with 300 primers (yes, I said 300) and just keep pushing the buttons on the AutoMate.

Tim

18. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I'm using (2) of the older styles on 9000's and am pretty much trouble free. Like other posters I'm willing to leave well enough alone.

If anyone has any good input or suggestions, on my Sizemaster it (feeds primers o.k.) just doesn't want to let the last 10- 15 primers cycle out to an empty tray. I just keep the tray full of primers but this is a weak link to this reloader. I had to modify my drop tube hole slightly with a Dremmell to get nice consistant drops which wasn't a big deal for me but can see how some guys could get fustrated to the point which they don't use the primer tray on the Sizemasters. A Sizemaster without a primer tray is an expensive 600 jr.

19. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

Is anybody out there still using the tube feed for their 650's besides me? It's slower to fill but is fool-proof. My Grabber has the old-style tray feed and once I got it adjusted properly it worked okay.

20. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Model Number 12

I have several 650's with the tubes. I have one of the "Pacific" tube filler accessories also. You put a box of primers in, put it on top of the tube, and turn the knob. Tube fills in a few seconds. I just don't want to be around if a primer goes off in the tube. An old timer told me about the possible results many years ago. I think he was talking about a first hand experience. He mentioned the need to discard everything you would be wearing below the waist. He also stressed the idea of wearing eye protection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
mec 650 tray assembly

mec primer feed instructions

mec primer tray

mec primer tray adjustment

mec primer tray assembly

mec primer tubes
mec sizmaster primer tray assembly
primer tray