1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mechanics, GM question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Cooper, May 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cooper

Cooper TS Member

Just a quick question for any mechanics out there. I have a 1998 Jimmy w/4 wheel drive that I need to change the bottom ball joints on. I just did the top side and was going to do the bottoms at the same time but discovered I couldn't wiggle the bottoms out unless I pull the front axles. Is this correct or did I just give up to easily? Any tricks I'm missing? Thanks, Cooper

2. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Yes you have to pull the drive axles and you will need a ball joint press for both out and in.

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

You need to pull off the axle nut and free up shaft. then when joints are seperated spindle assembly will slide off lower ball and shaft. You can leave attached to tie rod if you wish. I find it easier to just undo and remove spindle completely. Its out of your way. Then you tie up the shaft best you can.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Maclellan1911 has it about right. I don't remember there being an easy way around it.

5. Cooper

Cooper TS Member

Thanks for the help guys. I'm to cheap to pay someone to work on this car so I guess I will just take another shot at it. I hope I can muddle my way through. Thanks again, Cooper

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Do you have a ball joint fork to break the taper? Or are they pinch bolt type? You will need to remove the axle nut and you my get them out with out removing the shafts all together but once the nut is off the rest is easy, it's harder to remove the steering knuckle/ spindels. Use jack stands under the frame and a small floor jack under the lower control arm. Remove the outer tie rod from the knuckel to give you the ability to turn the spindle back and forth to ease in removing the assembly.

7. Cooper

Cooper TS Member

No I don't have a ball joint fork. I had it loose already I just couldn't wiggle it out past the axle. I had it set up just as Bruce suggested, car on jack stands and floor jack under wheel assembly. Thanks again for your suggestions, Cooper

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.