1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

mech automate Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bens gun, Jun 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bens gun

Bens gun TS Member

I have a mech 9000 with automate dive , does any one know how to modify the two button safty feature so it will opperate using only one button to cycle loader. I do know it is there for a saftey liab. thanks
  2. X2 fan

X2 fan Member

Why would you want to do this?

Tim
  3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

perhaps he has one thumb?
  4. JACK

Ben. I have yet to see a conversion, although I think it woud be simple to go to foot mounted setup that pushes the two buttons at once.
  5. Bens gun

Bens gun TS Member

Just as i thought ,tipical responce ask a ? get usless coments
  6. Bens gun

Bens gun TS Member

Thanks for your idea
  7. JACK

Must be Wednesday. The sensitive posters abound
  8. alwayslearnin

alwayslearnin TS Member

You can simply take a piece of wood long enough to cover both buttons. Drill a small cavity for each button to fit into which keeps the wood in place. Then presto one hand operation. I can't imagine how you could kill yourself with a Mec press but do it at your own risk yada yada
  9. Bens gun

Bens gun TS Member

thanks for your thought
  10. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Without knowing what the existing control circuit looks like it's nigh impossible to say how to modify it.
  11. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Glad you asked, I was thinking of the same thing. Pushing both buttons slows things down and is a pita.
    I have a foot control on my pw
  12. X2 fan

X2 fan Member

Actually what slows it down with the MEC automate is the fact that you have to hold the buttons down until the machine reaches the bottom of the stroke. On the original model (ATS, of which I own one) you simply hold them long enough to begin the cycle.
    I realize why MEC made it the way they did.

Tim
  13. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

Without ever having owned one...

My instant reaction would be to wire it so both electrical buttons are engaged (pushed)(you could also hold them down mechanically, i.e. tape, clamp, etc) and then plug the unit into a momentary electrical pedal on the floor. Depress the pedal and hold it down through the cycle. Releasing the pedal at anytime cuts electrical to the unit, so it performs the same function as releasing the buttons.

You could wire the momentary pedal directly to button wiring as a more permanent solution, however, I believe there are functions that you can access by pushing and holding a single button also.?.?

Regards,

Chip Porter
  14. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

The existence of solid state components makes it impossible, in my opinion, to predict what changes would have to be made in the control circuit to effect the desired changes. We don't know if there is a relay in the circuit (I assume there is) how the relay is designed internally, what solid state timing or recognition devices might be in the circuit and so on. The days of being able to predict the existing circuit and thus design changes without even seeing the circuit in question are long gone. We have changed from simple electro-mechanical circuitry (it is still possible that's all we are looking at here) to circuits that operate through solid state components, and cannot be predicted. Until you know what the existing circuit looks like, you can't safely make changes. Without a complete understanding of the control circuit, how it works and what the components are doing, and why, you are taking a big risk of screwing it up beyond any repair except replacement.
  15. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Member

Try going to the "reloading" forum @ www.shotgunworld.com. If memory serves me, someone there came up with a conversion kit. Seems there was some circuitry involved, so its more complicated than just wiring the two switches together. Good luck

Try this link http://shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=289313
  16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I would say any modification would certainly count out the chances of MEC ever doing any repair work on it again.

Just Say'n.......................
  17. alwayslearnin

alwayslearnin TS Member

As mentioned this topic has been covered in great detail on SW. Foot pedal and a one switch conversions are detailed there. The reason I mentioned just using a piece of wood allows you to try it one handed. Like X2 fan I also own the ATS version, took a while to find but I had no interest in the Mec version. Unlike the Mec unit you only have to hit both switchs at the same time, you dont continue holding them till the machine hits the bottom position. Having to hold down 2 switchs, 1 switch or 10 doesn't make a diff. You are still stuck holding something. The ATS version is much faster. I hit both switches then grab a hull with my left hand and a wad with my right. Wad gets placed on the wad guide on the upstroke hull on the shell carrier as soon as its stopped. Hit both buttons quick and the process is repeated before the finished shell is off the shute. The other nice thing is you can hit either button and the machine stops and returns to the up position. Very convienent and safe. I think converting both switchs to work this way or a foot pedal if you'd prefer would be a nice upgrade.
  18. Bens gun

Bens gun TS Member

thanks again there is still hope for an upgrade
  19. sadpat

sadpat TS Member

Bens gun my conversion parts and how to--1)dpst mom-on paddleswitch 2) 3 feet of 4 wire 18ga cable 3) plasitc box for the paddleswitch after carfully removing the circuit board from the case, unsolder existing switches and toss. solder cable to paddleswitch contacts and circuit board spots for the switches you just removed. Put back together. The long cable will allow you to move the switch anywhere around your reloading bench. your warranty is probably history, though.
  20. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned

Take a piece of heavy gauge metal, bend it at a height that will hold the button down, drill a hole in the metal and top of Auto Mate and insert a self tapping screw to hold button down, PRESTO

Gary
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.