1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC9000G HANGUP

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by flyfish, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flyfish

flyfish Member

My MEC9000G is smoothe as silk FOR THE FIRST 50 +/- RELOADS. After that, there is a "hangup" or "bump" on the upstroke (only). There's never a problem on the downstroke, but about half-way up, it "bumps" or "bangs" and jars the entire reloader, getting progressively worse the more I load. I have cleaned the collett and lubricated the areas that the manual indicate need to be lubricated. The press is kept clean and covered when not in use and turns out good looking shells that perform very well. I just can't figure out what's causing it to hang up. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I still suspect the collet. Clean of any trace of shot; spread the lube (neversieze) so it gets everywhere - all around the collet, on the links, on your clothes and hands and face, everywhere - I think it will help.

Neil

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I believe your machine is possessed by demons. Call someone in who can perform an exorcism and everything should return to normal. HMB

4. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

I wouldn't be surprised if a piece of shot gets into the collet when that happens. Next time it happens, lift up on the hull holder rod on station 1(inside the collet)from underneath the loader and see if a piece of shot falls out. You'll usually feel it hit your finger as it falls. It may take a few instances to actually feel the shot fall out, but I think you will. Lubrication is important but I'll bet it's shot getting in the collet.

5. mrgcskeet

mrgcskeet TS Member

I've had this problem on all three of my 9000G's from time to time. The collet will actually work it's way "tight." Back off the collet tightening ring, one "click" or maybe (at most) two clicks. The problem will go away. It also helps if you'll put a thin coat of "anti seize" (get it at the auto parts store) on the OUTSIDE of the collet fingers. Do both and it will cure the problem.

6. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

I have/had the same problem:

1st. Make sure there is no shot hung up in the collett. use a tooth pick or dental tool to remove and shot stuck in the collett.

2d. Take a can of BREAK CLEANER (non flamable)and clean up the collett area top & bottom, use shop rag's around the collett area to catch the junk.

3d. Apply Antisize compond on the outside fingers of the collett all around.
    You should be back in business.

7. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Lube the collet

8. Nutnbutsmoke

Nutnbutsmoke Member

My press is fighting me to, has since it was new! not the same as he describes but close, on the way up the handle moves fine but the sizer will pop and when it does it will make the new primer jumo right out of its hole? lube it all up works good for maybe a flat and starts all over, I have tried many types of oils and greese and loosening the collet etc and can't find a combo to get rid of it?

9. willing

willing Member

Check previous threads for the Shotgun World Article. It shows how to grind the top of the collett fingers which seems to stop the popping.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.