1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC650/ 762R or Pacific 366 What do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by spicyfish, Feb 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spicyfish

spicyfish TS Member

I presently use a MEC 600 and am considering a progressive loader. Which of the three is better and why?

Thanks.

Lou

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Well i use a 366 and love it. Since you are already familar with the MEC products they may be easier to learn. However I myself started on a 600jr and had no problem learning the Pacific/Hornady 366. They are built like a tank and the only part i had to replace was the wad guide fingers(less than $5). My vote is always the 366 because its what i have. All the machines you listed will work just fine and do the same thing.

Matt

3. spicyfish

spicyfish TS Member

Thanks Matt. Your comments are greatly appreciated especially since you also started on a MEC 600.

Lou

4. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

When I bought a progressive loader I looked at the Mec and 366 side by side. The heft and bulk of the 366 swayed me to the 366, the thing is rugged. Mec's sheet metal turned me off. Most people I shoot with have Mec's and have no problem, load lots of shells. Mec probably makes more shells than any other loader. I still think the 366 is the best built of the 2.

5. spicyfish

spicyfish TS Member

Thanks. I spoke to one of the guys I shoot with and he uses a 650 but his is OLD. He said that the newer MEC's are not as heavily built as his older 650.

Lou

6. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

well I'm hoping the 366 I just acquired does a good job, has an extra station or 2 compared to the Mec's, but will still make a shell with every pull of the handle. The Mec may cycle slightly faster, but then it also had a tendency to drop ligher charges, or hang up completely on the powder delivery/ on occasion, I like the charging bar set up on the 366 best. Good luck with whatever you chose just go slow at first and watch everything till you get your machine and motion perfected.

7. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

As most above said the 366 will last longer than most of us, keep it oiled, start slowly-- carefully & watchfully as you would with any progressive machine because there is a lot happening with just one pull of the handle. If you have the operators manual read it thoroughly first. Don't be disillusioned at the early mistakes, once you get the "hang" of it you'll love it. Ross Puls

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

If you do indeed get the Hornady 366 and have any questions don't hesitate to ask by starting a thread or sending me PM. I think you'll grasp it quickly.

Matt

9. miner1

miner1 Member

I echo grntitan's offer......I've loaded on a 366 since 1987 and will be glad to answer any questions.

Dan

10. spicyfish

spicyfish TS Member

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

11. leftex

leftex Active Member

Having been a 366 user since the early 80's with the occasional grabber and 9000g thrown in, I prefer the 366. I like the solid feel of the 366. All will load great shells.
    Wayne

12. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I have never used the 366 before, but it appears the resizing and de-primer is kind of cumbersome because you have to place the shell in the turret afterwards. The MEC 9000 you put the shell in the turret and it does everything from there.

Might want to look at a MEC 9000G or H model if you are interested in a progressive reloader.

13. twotimer

twotimer Member

Lou, I've only been reloading about 4 years now, and started out with a 366. Great machine, can do about 400 an hour pretty easy. Get the larger shot and powder tubes, and the hydralic piston option. Also drill a hole in the primer tube toward the bottom so you can tell whe you are about to run out of primers. It is my first reloader, so I could only be disatisfied if I had something better to compare it to. The above threads are all good... I've put over 30K rounds through it, and all is good. Mike

14. spicyfish

spicyfish TS Member

Thanks to all of you. I have deceided to purchase a 366 from one of the board members. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Lou

15. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Lou, after you purchase the 366, if you you need extra shot and poweder bushings, PM me. I have several in many sizes.

Thanks, John E.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.