1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC Wad Guide?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mark425, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Wad guide height for a MEC 9000? How far down into the shell should the fingers extend. I cant find any info in the manual or the web.

Thanks,
    Mark

2. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

From the top of the wad guide bracket to the top of the wad guide is 1/16" Depending on how new the loader is there should be 2 little notches down inside the wad bracket grove where the wad guide slides down, now this specks is for a 1 1/8oz load. For 1oz and 7/8oz you will have to move it down and many even have to cut a notch in the front to get the wad in straight. I hope this helps. I you need to speak to me my # is 423-743-9233

thanks
    lee

3. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I am not sure I understand. I hope this makes my question more clear.
    To recap: On the full downstroke (to the stops), how deep inside the shell should the wad guide fingers extend. I know I can adjust the wad guide up/down on the guide rod to make this adjustment. Just wondering what is a good starting point.

Mark

p.s. I am loading 1 oz. wads, MEC 9000

4. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

My MEC wad guide doesn't quite look like that but, the bottom of my wad guide goes .285 below/under the crimp mouth on a Winchester AA shell and It's been running fine like that for years.

5. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Spanky,

Ha-ha...I know it doesn’t look exactly like that....but,

1) Had to do it from memory.
    2) At work and can only screw around so long.
    3) Most importantly, I am no Michelangelo.

However...that is exactly the information I was looking for. Thank you.

Mark

6. crk

crk Member

Maybe I was doing something wrong on my 9000 progressive but -

1- my wad fingers go down completely into the hull to just about resting the wad guide lip on them which is unlike the picture shown here. This insured that the hull was fully open in the process. Not sure about the gravity comment on wad setting as the fingers hold the wad until the shot tube pressed the wad through them into the hull.

2- When I went to smaller load wads (7-7oz), I moved the shot drop tube up a small tad but never re-set the wad guide finger height as that is more determined by the hull size used (2-3/4") and not the wad fingers. Never used wad pressure other than slight movement of the wad pressure indicator.

As my unit was set up and checked annually by MEC I would have to think that was the way it was intended to work. But other ways will accomplish the same end result.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

adjust wad guide mec 9000

adjusting for wad height in mec 9000

adjusting wad guide mec 9000

mec 9000 guide

mec 9000 wad pressure adjustment

position wad guide on mec 8567

steve12

wad guide for mec 8567