1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC wad guide

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MGeslock, Nov 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

I was loading on a MEC 600 the other day. One of the fingers were somewhat worn and I replaced it. How important are they on a MEC? All they do is make sure that the wad is inserted in the hull.

I have a PW and know that it moves up and down. It also must hold it when the guide swings in an out.

Could I run forever with worn guide?

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

MGeslock

If it's worn or broken, replace it. You could possibly damage the wads by using a worn wad guide.

3. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

As the others have noted, the wad guide is possibly one of the most critical parts of the reloader, as a worn guide or a damaged finger can lead to a cocked or otherwise damaged wad base when inserted in the hull. This in turn, as noted can lead to bloopers but even worse, a damaged wad base or cocked insert can also result in a dangerous overpressure load if a damaged or poorly inserted wad "hangs" in the hull for a split second instead of smoothly moving forward when the powder is ignited.

Jim R

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you lubricate your wad guide with a little paste wax it will last forever and your press will run a lot smoother. HMB

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

A little paste wax on the inside of the fingers would be scraped off by the over powder skirt of the wads and some into direct contact with the powder. I don't think I want to do that. A new wad guide is somewhere around $1. Even I can afford to replace one every 15,000 rounds.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec wad guide