1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC vs CB4100-12-B Wads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by AveragEd, Apr 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Been there, done that and found that modifications to your wad guide will solve that problem. This happens a lot when using the longer wads called for in 7/8 and one-ounce loads.

First, file a little off the bottom of the beveled ridge that is used to clamp the guide in its holder. I took about 1/8" off of mine but you don't have to worry about removing too much material as you can always slide the guide up in its holder and the clamp will hold it in place.

If more clearance between the wad guide and the shot drop tube is needed, use your bench grinder or a file to shave some material from the guide's body so the top of it slopes away from the right side of the loader. In other words, you want to remove material on an angle from the outer third of the guide's body. Be careful not to take too much off of it - when you expose the top of the ring of fingers, you've gone too far. Basically, you just want to remove the edge of the wad guide's body enough that the wad can be swung under the drop tube.

Ed

2. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

Average Ed gave me the same advice a while back and it worked great for some extra long wads I was using. When you grind down the wad guide be careful not to cut into the edge of the fingers or you'll be placing an order.

As an aside just making sure you know to loosen the nut and slide the tube up for more space before messing with the guide. That is all you should need for most 1 and 1 1/8 wads.

all the ebst,
    john

3. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Hey Guys,I've found an easier way. Mec has a swing out wad guide,it's in the kit for loading steel shot but you can buy it separatly. Works like a charm. Takes about 10 minutes to install. If you load the Ballistic Products spreader wad you might want the whole Steel Kit. The kit (I think) around $42 and swing out wad guide $21. Hope it helps. GOOD LUCK

4. AveragEd

Thanks, Shady! I wasn't aware of that option being available. I've also heard that MEC offers a lower-profile "one-ounce" wad guide but I've never been able to find them for sale anywhere, so I made my own as I described above.

Ed

5. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Ed's advice re: shaving a "slope" to the wad guide is exactly what the MEC service technician did to my MEC Grabber when they serviced it at the Grand a couple of years ago. Raising the drop tube also helps. Ed

6. tp

tp TS Member

Mec does make a modified wad guide for the longer wads. It is apparently not a regular catalog item but you can order it by phone. Works great.

7. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm just old fashioned..I have always placed the shot cup up on the shot drop tube, held it and stepped on the hydro at the same time. Seems to work fine regardless of what length wad I'm using. Also overcomes those folded wad fingers. Just remember to get your fingers out of the way.

Big Jack

8. AveragEd

Jack, I believe that's how most of us do it with or without a hydraulic or electric power unit but the problem we've encountered is that there is not sufficient room between the shot drop tube and the top of the wad guide to swing the wad over the wad guide.

Ed

9. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Ed,I've also been known to loosen the wad guide clamp,drop it down 1/2 way and retighten. GOOD LUCK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cb4100

cb4100 12b

cb4100-12b herco

cb4100-12b wads

cb4100-12b wads for sale

swing out wad guide mec

what is the difference between cb 4100-12 b & cb4100-12