1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec Universal Charger bars

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by nsrailroad, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

Is worth having a mec universal charge bar or just keep regular bars and extra bushings? and where arte the unversals avalible?

2. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I know lots of people use them to good advantage. I am the exception. I had three and decided to do away with them. I had two loaders that when the bottle was tightened the bar would not traverse fully to each side. I had to leave the bottles a full turn loose to make them work well. The spacers and rubber bushings were in place before you ask. I had everything from bloopers to shooters and ended up throwing away about 500 28ga loads. Bars off, MEC bushings in, no more problems.

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Although a lot of posters will be along to sing the praises of adjustable bars, I had one for an afternoon and disposed of it. I cannot see how anyone can reset one of those things PLUS recheck its drops with a scale faster than I can change a bar and/or a bushing.

Ed

4. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Experiences with the adjustable charge bars vary greatly. I have used the adjustable bars in every MEC I have used over the years (currently a 9000 with the AutoMate) and would never go back to the non-adjustable bar. The main advantage in the adjustable bar is that you can set it for the exact load you want, not just something close. Using the powder inserts, it is rare to get a powder drop within .5-1 grain of what you want, in my experience (though this can vary by powder). I can also get exact drops of shot by weight, again not just something close, and can take adjust for different shot sizes. It is a bit slower to set up/change than the standard bar, but in my opinion, worth the effort. It may also take a little fitting initally to get it to operate smoothly, and make consistent drops with no leakage, but can be done by following the instructions without a great deal of trouble. Again, worth the effort in my opinion,

Jim R

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I agree totally with Jim R, above. I will never go back to bars and bushings. I reload a lot of Promo powder and each lot varies some in weight. It would be impossible to throw consistant charges with bushings, as it is sometimes only .5-.8gr. difference. With the adjustable bar, it is a snap to adjust your drops to get what you want. Bars and bushings? No more for me, thank you...... Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

The adjustable charge bar IS THE WAY TO GO!

Yes, it can be frustrating to adjust. However, once you learn how to adjust/tweak the adjustable charge bar you will never go back to bushings.

I have been using the adjustable bar for years without any problems. You need a good powder scales to set the bar up to the correct drop.

Set the adjustment knob to throw a little under what you want. Than, SLOWLY turn the knob in SMALL increments and slowly creep up to the weight you want.

I have two adjustable bars: one set for 1 ounce and one set for 11/8 ounce. This makes it easy to go from 16 yard shells to handicap shells.

Like I said they can be somewhat frustrating, but, when you learn how to adjust them, I think they will answer your concerns.

Frank

7. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Between my son & I,we have 8 MECs & reload all 4 game gauges. Have used MEC loaders for about 40 years. I do not use universal bars. I have tried. I agree about bushings & charge spread. If I want,I can get an get the next smaller size bushing & open it slightly. I actually did this with .410 bars throwing shot. 1 was set at 0,next at +5,next at +10 #9 shot. Stupid dumbie,ain't I. And just as stupid to blow off $6-7-8.00 into the air in 15-30 minutes,shooting something called TrapSkeet.

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Perhaps it's because I use a fine-grained powder (PB), but I can always get to within one or two tenths of a grain of the powder charge I want using bushings. Factory loads vary more than that.

When I buy powder, I get a pair of eight-pound jugs with the same lot number. I then weigh charges until I find the bushings I need for that lot (usually the same or within one size of ones for the previous lot). I then put the bushing for one-ounce loads in my one-ounce bar and the bushing for handicap loads in my 1-1/8 bar. All I have to do for the time I load those jugs of powder is change bars. That's much easier at my age and tolerance for frustration!

Ed

9. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Hey guys

I agree with the guys above universals all the way, the only thing is I don't use the furnished brass washer that comes with the universal bar I use the one from MEC. I install universal bars on most all loader I sell.The web add is,
    http://multiscalecharge.com

thanks
    lee

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

I have one for sale. It is new. $30 plus shipping.

Also an as new 12 ga Size-master in original box - $135 plus shipping.

Both for $155. PM if interested.

Don Verna

11. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Tried the Universals...got tired of the frustration of trying to "dial them in" to a desired setting...sold them all and never regretted it. Bushings work just fine, but use your powder scale to ensure safety & accuracy. Best Regards, Ed

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The adjustables are frustrating and can make you throw a fit. They are the only way to go though if you want acurate drops on both powder and shot. I use both bushing bars and adjustables. They are a bar that takes patience but once figured out are excellant for precise drops. Frank had it right about creeping up on the weight you want. Once you have learned them you'll love 'em.---Matt

13. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

Thanks got my answer.

14. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I have Universals on both my MEC's one is set up for 7/8 and the other for 1 oz. Once you dial them in, you should be able to leave them and they will throw consistant charges. Even so, you should still check your charges from time to time and especially when you open a new bottle of powder. These bars cannot be beat for throwing a 7/8, 1 or 1-1/8oz shot loading closer to true weight.

15. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

I checked my drop today and fluctuating 17.7 to 18.4 using a hornady digital and lee scale. Seen alot about promo and may go to a adj bar.
    Thanks
    Railroad

16. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

I have adjustable bars for my Mecs. If you can read, & have a scale, I don't see where there's a problem. I have many bushings & bars sitting on a shelf above my reloaders,all unused. No, I don't want to donate them. However, my thoughts on the subject are, go with what you are comfortable with, AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A SCALE & USE IT. Many fellows,and I assume gals too, are reloading without owning a scale. To me,this is first class negligence.I repeat,don't just own a scale,USE IT.
    Joe Jordan

17. psfive

psfive Member

I have three one each for 7/8 oz 1 oz and 1-1/8th oz. I can change them as fast as you can change a standard bar and bushing. The difference is I took the time to set each of them for exactly what I want for each load and that's what I get. Not close to what I want exactly what I want. I will never go back. It can take some time to get them set but they work and I get the loads I want. It takes less time to set them than it does to work a standard bar and bushing to get exactly what you want. Then if I change my load I just adjust my bar for my new load. Paul

18. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Railroad,
    While you're checking things out, weigh a few shot charges (especially 7 1/2s)your fixed bar is throwing. You'll have another reason to go to the adjustable bar. We need Bob Dodd to come on here now and give his operating instructions, then you'll be all set.

19. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

What Ed said in his first post and what Ed said in his second post.

20. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

thanks Send Bob on down

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
mec universal charge bar

mec universal charge bar instructions

melamine universal charge bar