1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC Station 1 reloading problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ESMDHokie, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ESMDHokie

ESMDHokie TS Member

I've had about 12 out of 100 of every shells come out like this as shown in the pictures that are linked. On the downstroke I can feel the increased resistance but its too late to stop the stroke.

Pretty clueless here, couldn't connect what it says in the manual to what I was seeing happen here.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30195381&id=1223760079

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30195383&id=1223760079

Thanks,
    Phil

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Your links don't work without a password. If the rim is crushed to the diameter of the tube, then you have an ussue where the shell is not dropping into the collet all the way. That can be caused by some foreign material in the collet, a broken collet finger, too many primers in the tray, or something preventing to lifter from dropping all the way. Best course of action is to clean, inspect, lube and reinstall the collet if it is OK. If not, replace it. You'll probably find a piece or two of shot in the collet. That's the usual cause of trouble.

3. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Believe it or not if you have lube on the lifter it will cause this problem. Pull the lifter out.... wipe it off...DO NOT lube it... and reinstall. May fix your dilemma.

4. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

The biggest problem that I see is the anti seize they recommend is worthless. Get rid of it and clean collet. Use case lube --stp -- I like the Imperial sizing wax. But anything you use dont MOP it on, you only want it on OUTSIDE of the collet

5. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Assuming that a crushed shell rim is the symptom, another cause can be the wad guide. The rod it is attached to is also the rod that allows the hull in station 1 to be lowered for sizing. Make sure your wad guide is properly aligned.

6. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Subject: MEC 9000G Collet Question
    Email:
    Date: Fri, Apr 03, 2009 - 07:30 AM ET
    Website Address:

Phil,

I fixed the problem on my MEC 9000G collet. The collet was not broken, nor was it dirty with broken pieces of shot wedged in it. No new parts were required. I made a simple jig to expand the collet / fingers back out. Over time they tend to compress to the point where the hull will not drop down into them freely, and that's the key. I let them set for a period of time to help with "memory" in the metal. I did not heat them.

I kept the collet resizing nut setting to a bare minimum because 1) my guns are break action and 2) tightening it unnecessarily only tends to compress the collet fingers which can cause the problem I was having.

There is a possibility that down the road this collet may need to be replaced. The memory in that metal could possibly return to it's smaller inside diameter. Only time will tell. Try it & good luck.

PS - E-mail me if you get stuck.

Jon Reitz

7. ESMDHokie

ESMDHokie TS Member

fixed for now, no problems for the 100 i loaded today. Took some compressed air and blew out some fallen shot. that and removed the collet then popped it back in.

Thanks,
    Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.