1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC "SPITTING" POWDER

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by flyfish, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flyfish

flyfish Member

MEC

I have been using Hodgdon Clays in a MEC 9000 with an Auto Mate for a 1-1/8 oz. recipe for 16 yard targets for several years. I have had absolutely no problem with the powder, and the press turned out some really nice shells. I recently obtained some Hodgdon Titewad, changed the chargebar and bushing, and set up the press for a 1 oz. recipe. Now, the press is "spitting" powder and I notice a considerable amount of powder on the charge bar as it travels back and forth as well.

In the past, I've used Clays, International, Red Dot, Solo, and 700-X - never had a problem. The recoil on the Titewad shells is soft and the recipe patterns well in my gun. But I'm wasting and having to clean up too much powder. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. spclays1

spclays1 TS Member

MEC

Check your rubber grommet and brass washer....

3. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

MEC

Flyfish I think you need to go to the above link and check the schematic and make sure you have all the parts that go under the powder bottle if not you can order what you need on the website.

Bob Lawless

4. setter

setter Member

MEC

Once the correct powder bushing is installed, next place the brass washer in, dimples facing up, Then the rubber (neoprene) grommet, then the powder bottle.

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

MEC

Setter, has told you no Lie's. This will solve your powder leak. If you have both of those in your reloader already(most likely you don't). You need to have them replaced. Nothing last forever. Break-em all. Jeff

6. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

MEC

Check your drop tube for obstructions. I had a spider make a small web in my loader once and had a heck of a time figuring out what was going on. I suspect what the other poster have said is the real problem but you never know.

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

MEC

Titewad is a fine grained powder and it will find the smallest cracks to fall through. The Red PC Baffle will probably seal it just fine, but I don't like to use baffles. The brass washer can get worn to the point that it slides a little to the side and allows powder to leak. Make sure the rubber grommet and brass washer is fairly new and properly installed. I'd replace those two items and use the Baffle only as a last resort. Also, a little bit of wear or looseness between the charge bar and the areas where it contacts the press can allow some fine grained powders to leak. A call to Mec might offer a solution. They can guide you to finding where the leakage is and help reduce it. I use WST and Titewad on occasion, and it almost always leaks a little. Just not enough for me to worry about. One press needed a little "adjustment" to remove some of the clearance. A socket and a big "C" clamp seemed to have done the trick.

8. Soot Them All

Soot Them All Active Member

MEC

Flyfish, Like the other guys have explained, I'd bet when you changed the charge bar what was left of the brass washer went missing. good loading SF...

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

MEC

Ajax

The main reason I don't like ANY baffle is simple, but pertains to several issues. I have had powder stop flowing through such baffles because of bridging. Both the Red Plastic and the Pot Metal ones. These were powders that usually flowed well without a baffle. I have only had one bridging event without a baffle. I had a dozen or more with the baffles. I have also not seen any real improvement in consistency of my powder drops and in two cases, it became much worse. I am also a firm believer in the KISS principle and that if it isn't broken, don't fix it. I'll agree with the guys that make and sevice the Mec presses. They have always advised me and others, against using them.

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

MEC

Ajax

That's the reason I check my drops about twice every 25 shells or so. Experience the problem once and you'll think it's a fluke. See it a few times and it becomes a problem. I don't do anything to impede the flow of powder as the press was designed. I had more trouble with some coarser powders like 800-X and the variances went from +/- .3 grains to over a full grain variation with the baffles. I tried both baffle types to verify that issue and then experienced a "bridging" event after ten drops using the Red PC baffle. I eventually used up the rest of the 12 pound keg without a baffle and never had any trouble with bridging or excess variations. I just pause for a second at the bottom of the down stroke. Promo, Green Dot, 700-X, and Red Dot were some other powders I had trouble with using the bushings. Powders like WST and Clays were never a problem either way.

I originally used the Red PC to see if it would help with a little powder leakage. It apparently worked alright with that particular powder. Putting in a new set of washers did almost as well.

There are a lot of people that use the baffles, but I have not had great results. If they work for you, then use them. I just didn't have a great experience with them.

11. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

MEC

My powder spitter is the Hodgdon's Universal, in both 20 and 12gauge loads. Clays I have no leakage. Like stated above, Universal seems to be a fine granular powder. I even changed clear down to the bar. YMMV Omaha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gasket under powder bottle mec loader