1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec Shell Spring

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Recoil Problems, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Recoil Problems

Recoil Problems TS Member

About 1980, I bought a little spring from a fellow at the Grand in Vandalia.
    I have a Mec Model 8567 Grabber that does not index. This spring seated around the coloumn under the Mec spring and will push a fully reloaded shells off the platform down a shoot into a box mounted lower than the loader. The spring only engages when I rotate the turret on the press.Last night my spring that I had forgotten I had ever bought broke. The spring probably pushed 60 - 80,000
    shells down the shoot. IT DOES NOT OWE ME A CENT.

Does anyone know where a spring like that is made or sold.

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Bryn, post a picture of the spring here? Hard to tell what some of the guys may have stashed away and not even recall what it's for!

Hap

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I recall looking for one for a reader perhaps two years ago. MEC told me they either no longer stocked that part or that it was a aftermarket item. Either way, I don't think it is available.

Ed

4. Recoil Problems

It was not a Mec part. Some guy invented it, made a bunch and sold them at the Grand. I would be surprised if nobody on his site had not also bought one 30 years ago. The new loader all index so they use something other than this spring. Will take the spring to a machinist trapshoote I know and see what he says.

5. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I wonder if it would work on my 650 that does not index???? Please let me know what you find out Bryn.

Guy Babin

6. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

Bryn,

Is that a leaf type spring that portrudes somewhat from the left side of the loader and supposed to deflect the loaded shell out of the shell carrier? If so, I had one a long time ago and if that's it, I'll spend some time looking for it for you.

My wife says I never throw anything like that away so maybe...

Larry

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

iIt's a spring for a MEC, Larry, not a left hand 1100...lol.. See you tomorrow... Dan

8. Recoil Problems

LDad I think you have it alright. I just can't understand why tere aren't more of them out there. Snd me a message and we can talk jbrynm

9. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

A fellow from Iowa was the one who made and sold those springs.

His name was Jack Carter. He used to shoot, but I haven't seen or heard from him for a few years.

He was a really nice guy.

Hauxfan!

10. Recoil Problems

Flincher .. i think you are close with the pricing within $ 45.oo anyway
    If you find it or anyone else and want to sell it for what you paid for it
    probaly $ 5 or $ 6 . send me a message on this site bryn

11. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Byrn: Let me try and clarify things in my own mind. Does your reloader have a square post? Are you talking about a 90 degree flat spring that holds down a ball that indexes each station and is held down by a round coil spring around the square post?

12. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I have 11 of them sitting in front of me. Brand new. I believe I paid $5.00 per spring. I will sell them for $6.00 per spring delivered in padded envelope. They work great and didn't break nearly as often as I thought they would.

Email above if interested.

Thanks

Bob

13. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I remember the spring you are talking about. If memory serves me correctly they used to sell them in Shotgun Sports Magazine in the section where they sold the reloading books with One Thousand 12 ga. loads. They had a lot of nice products in there.

Try as I might I can't find the one I bought. That has to be at least 18 years ago. That is how long ago I bought my first PW.

Bob Lawless

14. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

Haux you beat me to it. He had a call that was higher than any soprano and adjacent traps all got targets when he called. best to be on his squad. Very smart and a nice guy. D Winter

15. nanuk

nanuk TS Supporters TS Supporters

Bob
    I also sent you a private message.
    thx
    Bob

16. VNVET

VNVET Member

I bought a device that attaches to a MEC 650 which will index the shell plate and eject the loaded shell. I still have it along with the instructions if anyone is interested. Price will be $50 shipped. Send me a PM.

Jim

17. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

VNVET,

PM sent

Guy Babin

18. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Old Doc, you got Jack's call down pat. His call was unique, to say the least.

First time I went to the Grand, I went with Jack and another friend of mine.

Anyway, Jack wasn't going to go, but he played the 50's on one of the handicap program's and hit it by himself for around $1500.00 (if memory serves me right).

Don't know if I have the money part right, but I know it was the 50s option that he hit.

Like I said, a really nice guy and I wonder if he is still around or maybe he just quit shooting.

Anyone out there have any knowledge of Jack Carter from Iowa, I'd like to know how he is............or even if he is.............lol

Hauxfan!

19. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Ajax and Nanuk

Your springs are on the way.

7 left

Thanks

Bob

20. nanuk

nanuk TS Supporters TS Supporters

PRIMED (Bob)
    And your payment is on the way---thank you