1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC SHELL SIZING PROBLEM

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Jun 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

When re-loading RIO's and Federal Top Gun shells the sizer does not bring the rim down and causes a shotgun loading problem, and after shell is fired remains in chamber and requires a knocker outer.

I talked to MEC rep at OHIO STATE SHOOT and had tried all his suggestions to no
    avail.

How can you get the rim thinner, I have replaced the collett.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I may have an old Case Conditioner available. This was the ring type resizer, you deprimed and sized the shell so you cold load them in the 650.

PM if interested, and I'll find out if it's still in my pal's basement.

HM

3. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

yuour collet is not ajusted far enough. They will take them down.

4. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I believe Ricks1 has it. The steel shell head does not size the same as brass.

5. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I reload Remington shell some have steel head. No problem at all. Just ajust the collet a little at a time and you will be fine. You should have a size check tool from Mec. This make checking the size easy.

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Diameter of the Brass/Steel head should be about .805" ahead of the rim. Adjust the collet to produce that. If it's the "rim" that is getting stuck, it sounds like the guns chamber could be the issue. Sometimes a gun will have a problem with steel head hulls of one brand or another. A rough chamber could also be at fault. Some careful inspection and measurments may shed some light on it for you. The Rios are sometime problematic since the case head is sometimes longer. The Top Guns are just steel. High pressure loads could also add to the dilemma, since steel does not seem to spring back like brass does.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.