1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC Screw Up....Bigtime

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by over the hill, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. over the hill

over the hill Well-Known Member

Last week my son bought some new parts from MEC direct for his 9000 loader. He paid with our credit card and got an on line invoice 21.00 and change. Whoever entered the charges added another 0 and then it became 210. and change. This caused some outstanding checks to bounce before we cought the screw up. At 35.00 per check it didnt take long to put the account in the rears. My wife spent over an hour to get the mess straightened out. The Chase bank rep was very helpful and called MEC direct.

HA HA well I guess we get to use some more of their money for a short time longer was the reply. The bank rep was not amused and asked my wife what kind of company are you dealing with?

You would think a company such as MEC could have been more professional. Bad customer service in my opinion.

Regards Gerald

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I agree very unprofessional . It,s funny only when it,s not they,er money ,

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

It was a simple mistake! Maybe the comment wasn't appropriate but Iam sure it was given in a sarcastic manner.

4. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

You must mean your "DEBIT" or "Check" card that is linked to your checking account.

With a "CREDIT" card you use the bank's money, you pay the bank back in installments or better yet pay off the balance monthly to avoid paying any interest. The credit card balance will be paid from your checking only if you authorize a payment from the checking account. This is done a few weeks after they send you the credit card statement. With a credit card if there is a dispute, you do not have to pay for the disputed amount.

Jason

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Sometimes in an attempt to lighten a situation or just trying to crack a joke, doesnt go so well. I have not had any problems with mec. If the situation has been resolved then its been handled. Although jokes about your money tend not to be funny. Did you contact MEC first about this?

6. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Anybody can make a mistake. Everyone that I have dealt with at MEC seemed to be human. Would you rather have an automated system for placing orders and asking questions? Perhaps you made an error in calling this a credit card transaction. Perhaps you are human too. You are also getting your information on what was said from a credit/debit card company. I tend to trust MEC more than I trust ANY credit/debit card company. So you come on here proclaiming that MEC screwed up...bigtime. It looks to me like you are claiming 180.00 to be bigtime. If that's bigtime to you, you may be in the wrong sport. I'm not slamming you there, just stating that $180.00 doesn't get you very far in this sport.

If some human at MEC made an error why not let them correct it and make it right. I'm sure they will. Why would you want to make a big issue out of a simple mistake? Does it make you feel like a bigger man? If so, why didn't you handle the issue instead of having the wife do it?

GET A LIFE!!!

Bob

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The card had to be a debit card because thats the one attached to your bank account ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

$180 may not be big money but all of those bounced checks and the damage to one's credit report is big time. I've got no dog in this fight but really, what hapened to this guy is a major deal and IF MEC really did joke about it it was in very poor taste.

9. turmite

turmite Member

"So you come on here proclaiming that MEC screwed up...bigtime. It looks to me like you are claiming 180.00 to be bigtime. If that's bigtime to you, you may be in the wrong sport. I'm not slamming you there, just stating that $180.00 doesn't get you very far in this sport.

GET A LIFE!!! "

"$180...mistake...forces bounced checks...if this is true, and I personally do not believe it to be true...the last thing you should be involved in is this sport."

Guys, it's obvious to me that neither of you really read his post. Nowhere did this man mention that he or his son was involved in this sport.

The "GET A LIFE" statement above....is nothing more or less than an elitist remark, and I hope not the view of most people who shoots trap. I am not involved directly in this sport either, but I come to this forum and others to try to learn what I can to help my 12 year old grandson, who has fallen in love with trap. If I had any hint that this is what is in store for him, I would encourage him to get involved in another shooting sport.

Mike

10. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Mike

What about this sentence? "If some human at MEC made an error why not let them correct it and make it right. I'm sure they will."

This man needs to GET A LIFE. An error was made. It WILL BE corrected. What more do you ask and what more do you expect your grandson ask. At 12 years old, I hope he knows that humans make mistakes and correcting them is all that should be expected. If this all sounds eletist to you, what would you suggest? A lawsuit? This is a great company and they will correct their mistakes. Their reputation is fantastic and their customer service is second to none. Both times I have ordered parts from them, they have sent the parts and an invoice, no questions asked. They have never requested payment before shipping so I am somewhat sceptical of this whole story.

And as an outsider with a grandson participating, you will soon learn that $189.00 does not get you very far in this sport. That's not eletist, it's simply fact. Do the math. One day, 300 targets at $28.00 per hundred, 12 boxes of shells at $7.00, meals, motels, gas and daily fees and poof your 189.00 is blown by 3:00 in the afternoon of day one.

I hope you teach your grandson this reality as too many youth and some adults continue to live in ignorant bliss.

Good luck.

Bob

11. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

If one has "On Line" banking with their bank, you can check each day via your computer, for not only posted transactions but pending transactions as well. Thus, you could have caught the error before it posted, contact your bank, provide them with a copy of the correct invoice, and then under Regulation E it could have been properly taken care of.

Of course prompt contact with MEC would have been in order as well.

Conclusion: Have On Line Banking and check your account daily!!

Allen

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Should have been a credit card. Most will tend to your business and correct errors when they are found. Sometimes this takes a month due to billing cycles.

With Debit cards you should check your transactions. I always keep a few hundred extra in the checking account, sometimes I forget to enter an online payment or misplace a decimal myself.

Lastly, who checked the slip when the shipment came? Let's share blame here.

HM

13. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Over The Hill Like I said No big deal IF it,s your mopney .

14. turmite

turmite Member

Bob my apologies to you. I "assumed" by your get a life statement you were referring to his bank account! I was wrong in that assumption.

As to the reality....believe me when I tell you I know about it all too well, and from first hand experince. I had a string of unforseen financial disasters hit me all within a 4 month period, to the tune of about $40k. It forced me to quit shooting competatively, and honestly, I haven't recovered. With that said, I will do anything within my power to make it possible for my grandson to do this and enjoy himself, as long as it doesn't require lying, cheating or other unsavory acts! :(

Mike

ps....maybe my first hand experience made me a little more sensitive to the comments.....sorry

"Mike

What about this sentence? "If some human at MEC made an error why not let them correct it and make it right. I'm sure they will."

This man needs to GET A LIFE. An error was made. It WILL BE corrected. What more do you ask and what more do you expect your grandson ask. At 12 years old, I hope he knows that humans make mistakes and correcting them is all that should be expected. If this all sounds eletist to you, what would you suggest? A lawsuit? This is a great company and they will correct their mistakes. Their reputation is fantastic and their customer service is second to none. Both times I have ordered parts from them, they have sent the parts and an invoice, no questions asked. They have never requested payment before shipping so I am somewhat sceptical of this whole story.

And as an outsider with a grandson participating, you will soon learn that $189.00 does not get you very far in this sport. That's not eletist, it's simply fact. Do the math. One day, 300 targets at $28.00 per hundred, 12 boxes of shells at $7.00, meals, motels, gas and daily fees and poof your 189.00 is blown by 3:00 in the afternoon of day one.

I hope you teach your grandson this reality as too many youth and some adults continue to live in ignorant bliss.

Good luck.

Bob"

15. Jack Daniel

Jack Daniel TS Member

I was wondering how many more checks were written and for what amounts if $180 put the account in the red?

16. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

What about overdraft protection- it's easy to get and it will completely eliminate bounced checks.

17. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Try what is called a SWEEP ACCOUNT. I have had this for years but with rates on savings it's not as attractive. In sum and substance what you you do is put all your money(necessary $) into savings and none into checking. When you write a check it will SWEEP the amount necessary into your checking account.

Unfortunately I don't believe any bank has this service available for debit cards.

In your case with MEC I would think they would reimburse you for the O. D. charges unless you have abused your priveleges,. then, it's your problem.

18. over the hill

over the hill Well-Known Member

MEC problem resolved.

Mec faxed a copy of purchase to bank . All bank charges should be back in account by tomorrow.

Loader is back together and working like new.

Kudos to Morgan Chase bank and MEC.

Thanks to all for your comments

Regards....Gerald

19. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

I thought it impressive the bank or anyone else could actually talk to someone at MEC. It seems most institutions these days don't want to talk to their customers. Ever call a bank or the phone company and talk to an American instead of someone from overseas?

People make mistakes. MEC was honest about it and tried to make light of it, unfortunately someones sense of humor was not engaged at the time.

Mike

20. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Mec is usually a good company and I was sure they would make it right. Anyone can make a mistake and it does happen regularly. It's waht happens after the mistake is made and discovered that would set them apart.

One word of caution, NEVER EVER USE a debit card online for ANY reason. Use a credit card that you can monitor easily (online) and watch it closely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.