1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec resizing collett on 9000H

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Mar 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Both of my Mec 9000s have the collett fingers, 2 of them facing the rear of the loader bent in and at times prevent hull from dropping, can this be repaired with out dis-assembly or replacement of the collett, these are fairly new machines, there is nothing holding them in like a piece of shot, I thought that this was un-usual for a newer machine.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Sounds like broken fingers to me, every time I had one that was bent in and wouldn't go back on its own, it was cracked. Not too difficult to replace if your mechanically inclined, but its time consuming, and you need an impact driver usually to loosen the very thin nut holding the collet on.

3. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Take the nut off the bottom, screw it out,(I use butter knife) straighten fingers, inspect, replace......GOOD LUCK

4. below 0

below 0 TS Member

Contact MEC. I'm sure that you have a broken finger and will need to replace the Collett. Lack of lubrication is probably the cause. Dale

5. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

Doc:
    Repairing the collett is not as diffacult as you may think.
    There was a link on this site a few weeks ago that showed exactly how to do this repair yourself.
    I'll try and look for the link and get it to you.
    But you do a search also.

6. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

Doc:
    Check your E-mail

7. kolar12

kolar12 Member

Please make sure that it is not just a stuck piece of shot keeping the fingers from opening. Use a flashlight and a dental pick to remove. Clean the inside with brake cleaner or naptha and relube with anti sieze.

8. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

If any shot gets in the collet, then the fingers will become cracked upon further usage and be bent inward. They cannot get "bent" back into shape as the damage is already done. Only fix is to replace the collet.

WHENEVER shot is allowed to get into collet, it MUST be cleaned out immediately or face a $20 repair!

AndyH

9. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

It's not to difficult to do. I've done this removal on a few occasions but not because of broken fingers just cleaning and PM type repairs.

Go to shotgunworld.com and search for MEC collet removal. There is a removal procedure that is second to none with text and pictures. This is not a MEC document, 100% better to follow. Sorry, I mean no disrespect to MEC, I'm a huge happy MEC consumer but, the procedure is great. See if you can find it. If not I'll search it. I know it's there. Good Luck, don't sweat it it's pretty easy.

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Spanky, I searched and couldn't locate the pictoral help you mentioned for collet fix? The search feature just took me to the reloaders site? Help!! Hap

11. clayman51

clayman51 Member

Here is the link to the page

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=148737

Dennis

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Thank you Dennis!! Hap

13. clayman51

clayman51 Member

Hap,

Your welcome.

Good shooting to you!!

Dennis

14. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

If the fingers haven't broken yet they will. Replace the collet. I keep a spare on hand. Its strange they only break when you want to use them. D Winter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.