1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec reloders question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jackaroo, Aug 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jackaroo

jackaroo TS Member

having trouble with new mec reloader..charge bar doesnt throw enough shot as it calls for and the shot bushings either throw to much or not enough powder, i have tried different size bushings one sizt to much and next size to little and neither is consistant either. any advise or is that just how it is with mec reloaders?

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I went to universal charge bar. But before that, The more solid your work station is and more consistant smooth firm pull I got better drops. When I first got my loader it was mounted on a small movable island work type stand. then moved to very stout heavy bench with loader bolted down. much more consistant drops from there. Also loader is higher on this bench. More comfortable at standing height for me. Good smooth pulls from new bench also.

3. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

That is how it is with any system that drops by fixed volume amounts.

With MEC's the shot bar is set to drop the weight of chilled shot of #9 shot. So larger shot and/or shot with more antimony ie Hard/Magnum shot will weigh less. As for the powder you will find out different lots of the same powder will often require a bushing change. You will also find out if you weigh a lot of drops of powder that you can have variances between drops.

I just pick the closest to what I want with the bushings. As for the charge bar, I really don't mind that it is dropping less. With the price of shot now days squeezing a few more loads per bag helps. But then I shoot factory shells at any major tournament.

If you are trying to duplicate factory ammo, you should get an adjustable bar and a chronograph to develop your average shot weight and velocity to match the average of the factory ammo.

Jason

4. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

go to the universal charge bar and the powder baffel comes as a set for about $30 if you have different hulls you can play with the shot to get a good crimp the new baffel does not need the rubber gasket i have a 9000 in 12ga for sale has all the extras 275 +shipping rick

5. sundogs8

sundogs8 Member

I take those powder bushings and use a file and emory paper to enlarge them in increments. For instance, I will have a #27, #27 1/4, #27 1/2, etc. powder bushings. This takes some trial and error and I have spoiled a few bushings by shaving off too much of the bushing, but it allows you to get pretty much the exact powder drops that you want. The powder drops can change between different batches of the same powder.

Keith Rich

6. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

That's funny Keith, I've done that too.

7. willing

willing Member

Black electrical tape works and doesn't damage the bushing. Also make sure the bar is going al the way over.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.