1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC RELOADING QUESTION

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gdbabin, Mar 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I’ve reloaded several flats now on my 650. I’m using a brand new universal charge bar. Occasionally, without warning, and not every box, my machine fails to drop powder or shot in a hull.

Any ideas why?

Guy Babin

2. Gwenzilla

Gwenzilla TS Member

I'd say to check and make sure your charge bar isn't occasionally sticking.

3. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I put a stronger return spring in my 650 to fix the same problem.

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

With the above, I'd also check the tightness of the bottles. Sometimes a piece of shot will hang up a bar on the way back to get shot too? Most likely the bar is binding in the bracket occasionally on the return stroke.

Hap

5. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

If you are using a baffle make sure the brass washer and the rubber gromet are in place before you attach the powder baffle and bottle.

The baffle has a spring loaded lip that keeps the proper pressuer on the moving parts.

If you are not using a baffle back off on the tightness of the powder bottle.

Charlie

6. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

Check your bar-lock . It may be catching and not allowing the bar to fully return to the right .

Charlie

7. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

somewhat off topic but just today the bar lock stared to engage and not drop shotI loaded a full flat and it randomly engaged the charge bar about 12 times! I cant see any way it should engage and what is it for anyway?

8. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I had that problem years ago when I used Vihta Vouri(sp) powder. The flakes were so flat that it would build up under the bar and jam things up.

9. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

As E.Beaver stated make sure that the brass washer is put in properly. Dimples up

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

For "light powder drops" make sure you hold the handle down for about 2 full seconds before you raise it. The powder fills up in the bushing only when the handle is fully down. When you go down and up quickly there is not enough time to let the powder to fill up all the way in the bushing before it drops into your shell. Also check to see if charge bar is moving completely in both directions on every pull of the handle. If its not you need to make some small adjustments in the loader. Be sure you get a copy of Mec's Model 650 Shotshell Reloading. This booklet will give you all the ins and outs of your reloader. Like if your reloader is doing this you need to adj. that to fix it. Order or download one on Mec's site. They also have a customer service number you can call and they will help you with any problems you are haveing. there Great to deal with. Break-em all. Jeff

11. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

Also: (As Pull & Mark said) make sure the bar is being pushed all the way to the left on the handle down-stroke. In this manner the operating rod will actuate the bar actuator entirely to the left. Otherwise you will get partial powder charges. Easy adjustment.

12. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

sounds like the charge bar is not coming all the way back to the right side, ck to see if it is clean and the bar moves freely. the way I've found to clean the measure assembly and charge bar is hot soapy water {dawn} works best, dry and use a lemon pledge wipe, to wipe the inside of the measure assembly and the charge bar down and put it back together and it's slick as butter. now ck the linkage for the bar and make sure it moves freely. I would not think it is not powder bridging in the drop tube or you would have a over charge but you can wipe the inside of the drop tube with the same pledge wipe. See if these things help and if you need any more help you may call me at 423-743-9233. Also the pic is the way that the brass washer grommet and baffle should be with this set up

thanks lee
    [​IMG]

13. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Thanks all. I will check things out as suggested. I am a rookie at this.

One thing of note. I started with an older version of universal bar, the one without the mushroom shaped inserts. With this setup I never got "no drops". My shot drops did vary 5-6 gr... but I was told no worries.

This weekend I got my new universal and installed it to see if it would drop shot more consistently. I noticed while installing it the brass washer with the new bar was much thicker and flat as compared to the convex dimpled washer with the older version pictured in Lee's photo.

The new bar does drop shot more consistently--but now the occasional simultaneous no powder and shot drop.

I'll recheck everything. I'd think if the bar wasn't traveling all the way, or the spring was weak somehow, the issue would happen more often.

Guy B.

14. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Guy,

Just to note I do not use the brass washer that comes with the universal bar I use the MEC washer with the 4 tits up as in the loader I sold you. If you need moor MEC washers let me know.

thanks
    lee

15. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Ok Lee, I'll try the washer with the tits.... I've always preferred tits--I just couldn't never decide it I like them up or down. On your advice I'll put them up.

I'll also see if if it works on the wife.....

All good,

Me

16. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

To follow-up. I did change back to the MEC washer with the tits, confirmed everything was sliding smoothly and loosened up the charge bottles a tad.

I loaded several boxes last night without a hitch.

Thanks everyone.

Guy

17. Franktri

Franktri Member

Just recently found out what that washer with the tits is. I have been using my Grabber without it and couldn't figure out why I was getting powder on the table. Called MEC and they told me just what birddog said. Works perfectly now with no spillage!!

18. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Member

Guy,
    Try a PC powder baffle(red plastic) over your UCB with NO washer. You will get more consistent drops and the spring loaded tip of the baffle works well with the UCB. I use these baffles on all my MEC's and get good results.

Scott

19. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Up,down,sideways.........it doesn't seem to make much difference to me.I love em all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! D.P.Reynolds

20. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I agree pap... I aint too crazy for the enhanced ones tho.... nothing like nice natural ones!

Guy B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1964 mec reloading bars

gasket under powder bottle mec loader