1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC Reloading Problems

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Houston6, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Houston6

Houston6 TS Member

I'm useing a MEC 650 progressive reloader with 1oz. shot and 18 grains Solo 1000 powder for a low recoil load. About 1 or 2 shells out of each box seem to have barely enough powder to clear the wad from the barrel.
    I cleaned the reloader and increased the pressure on the wad but the problem persist.
    I tried the same powder in and old single stage MEC Jr. and got good shells, so it doesn't seem to be the powder.
    What could cause inconsisstent powder drops.This powder has been in the original can for 7 years.
    Thanks
    houston6

2. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

1.- put the wad pressure back so that it just barely moves the indicator when you seat the wad.

2.- check that your charge bar is moving all of the way to the left. So that the screw is barely or almost touching the bar housing. This is most likely your problem. Adjust the locknut on the bootom of the long rod at the front of the loader to make this adjustment.

3.- weigh your powder charges with a scale to make sure that they are correct!

Brett D.

3. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Probably a fine grain of your Solo 1000 powder is binding the bar movement. Movement on the down stroke is by positive linkage, but the return movement is by spring tension only. If you have your bottles too tight, or a grain of powder is in the bar passageway, the return movement may not be the full movement, and full movement is required for the powder drop.

4. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Pay close attention to Brett D.'s suggestion #2. I had the same problem and now carefully watch that the charge bar is moving properly. I had to adjust the long rod which controls how far the charge bar moves. Best Regards, Ed

5. Houston6

Houston6 TS Member

Thanks Brett D
    You are right. The long rod was adjusted too short and bar wasn't moving all the way to the left.
    Thanks again

ps; It helps to know what you are doing.

6. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Forgot to mention...after getting the travel of the charge bar set, put a 'back-up' lock nut on the long rod so the primary doesn't back off over time. Ed

7. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

houston6,

Just a note that you can go to MEC's website and download the manual for free, in case you don't have one. You'll need Adobe Acrobat.

Tim

8. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

Are your wads compatible with the hulls you are using -- if you do not get a good seal over the powder this will give you problems -- Doug

9. ec90t

ec90t Guest

My 9000G has allready got a self locking (nylon insert) nut on it from the factory. It's not the nut backing off that is the problem. The rod is made of soft steel and will stretch over time. This stretching will happen very quickly if the nut is adjusted too tight and the screw on the charge bar is hitting before the bottom of the down stroke. This will also cause excellerated wear on the pivot, where the rod attaches, that acuates the charge bar.

ec90t

10. psfive

psfive Member

The best thing I ever did was install a MEC powder baffle. I weigh three or four powder drops in every box I load. Yes it slows me down, but I enjoy doing it.
    Paul

11. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

You're welcome. Feel free to ask anytime.

Brett D.

12. JLW

JLW TS Member

My powder baffle was screwed in to far putting pressure on the charge bar causing inaccurate drops.-Jerald

13. Houston6

Houston6 TS Member

After adjusting the long rod as Brett D suggested I ran off a batch of shells and went to the range and tried them out. They shot great. Not a single bad shell. Thanks guys. I may even try putting my powder baffel back on it now.This is a great site to get help.
    hj

14. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Houston,

When I used MECs I always liked the red PC baffles the best. With one of them and an adj. bar, you can dial in some phenominally accurate powder charges. This isn't a sales pitch, :) , but you can see this by looking at the grabber and MANY extras that I have for sale on the garage sale thread. Seeing as you seem to be a decent dude, as many on this site are, the price could even be negotiated somewhat. Have fun.

Brett D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.