1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC reloaders

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by amboy49, Jan 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

Anyone tried to buy the parts and upgrade their MEC Grabber to a 9000 ?

How expensive and diffilcult ?

Would think about buying a used 9000, but they go for $300 and up on eBay plus shipping. And probably won't get much out of my used Grabber.

2. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I believe the only difference is the auto indexing, which is nice. However, if you pack for boxing as you go (and check the finished shell), the Grabber is really the exact same loader. I believe if you have the grabber, stick with it. If you wanted to change to P/W or Spolar (or other auto indexing loader), then I would pull the pin and sell your grabber.

I have had both the Grabber and 9000, and time wise, it probably works out the same to me.

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have one 9000 and 3 grabbers and can load an additional 8 boxes in an hour with the 9000. It is a 12 ga and the others are 20, 28 and 410. I know the 12's are easier to load though. I asked someone at a gun shop one time and was told that you can't convert the grabber to 9000. I wish you could for a reasonable price as I would surely do it. Jackie B.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

That and I know a good many people that have disabled the auto-index feature on their 9000s and basically made them Grabbers. I wouldn't worry too much about your Grabber machine.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

5. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

I have the Grabber and the 9000, like the Grabber better, might disable auto advance on 9000. Bill

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

There are some parts listed as can not be ordered on the web site to do a conversion, do not think it is worth the time or effort, If you really wont auto index find a used loader. I bought one here on TS.com 325.00 shipped with larger 200cnt primer tray ,4 large bottles ,bottle support, adj charge bar and a scale. I later sold the scale and 1 bottle for 40.00 so loader cost me 285.00. It works great but will fumble here and there with the indexing, I still use my other "loaders" also. If I came across a dillon for a good price I would try them also

7. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

9000 on FeeBay 22 hrs to go $225 item #290288962035

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Although I have always disabled the auto-eject finished shell feature on all my loaders, there is a spring that can be fitted around the base of the Grabber's center post that will kick your finished shells off the loader. I'm not sure but Precision Reloading MAY offer it.

I had a Grabber a long time ago and liked it a lot but prefer my current 9000GN with an Automate II. I like to inspect and box my shells as they come off the loader and appreciate not having to rotate the carrier to remove those shells.

Ed

9. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I'm not sure who made it but I remember an auto index fitted to a Mec 650 a friend once owned. It worked for him but I can't say I ever saw another. My 650 works just fine with me turning it. Just can't see trading it off for all the modern conveniences.

Big Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

are mec grabber and 9000 the same reloader