1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC Reloaders Upward progression worth the cost

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by nm3, Aug 29, 2013.

1. nm3

nm3 Member

Okay, I am using an old(er) Mec 650 that I have been using and struggling with consistant operation. It's my Dad's that he got from a friend years ago. He never used I until I started reloading a few years ago. I have no idea how many rounds have been through it.

It works but sticks occasionally and am losing my faith in the unit that I'm getting reliable reloads.

I'm considering a new Mec reloader and am torn between a new 650N, Grabber and 9000GN.
    The 650N would suit me fine as I have a resizer. Grabber would be an upgrade that adds a resizer and 9000 an upgrade that adds auto shell rotation.

My question is does the Grabber or 9000 have any other advantages over the 650N to warrant the upgrade? Such as sturdiness, mechanism, design, etc?

This is for 12 guage and I can shoot anywhere from 0 to 6 boxes/week.

Any other insight is appreciated....

2. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

IMHO, yes I think the upgrade would be worth it. You can find a good working 9000G for reasonable price. The automatic indexing makes it all worth it really.

Bryan

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Ditto!

Ed

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

No comprendo "sticks".

650 is the most trouble free of the progressives, no collet to stick, no auto index to jump and throw shot all over your bench.

Just use a Case Conditioner or shoot reloads that were fired in your gun. The resize step is eliminated and there is less effort.

If there is a lot of slop in the linkage or something, that's easy to remedy.

(FWIW I have 4 grabbers, one of which is a 9000 with the auto index disabled.)

HM

5. wrd

wrd Member

I have had a 9000 AutoMate for about 4 years. I think the basic design is the same but it is progressive and includes resizing and auto primer drop. The only parts of mine that have failed were my screw-ups. I only load about 20000 rounds per year now but I used to load somewhere around 30000. It will turn out a completed bullet about every 5 seconds. Is that speed and convenience worth the price to you?
    Only you can answer that. But, the machine is as sturdy and reliable as it needs to be. Customer service, if needed, is top shelf. As there is no variation in the stroke, every bullet is the same. A regular 9000 does the same thing but you have to pump it and sometimes the stroke is a little different.

6. nm3

nm3 Member

Sticks - The charge bar doesn't always go back to the right when the handle returns to the up position. Sometimes I catch it, sometimes I don't. Either way, I can't get a rythem and wind up checking the powder and shot on the hulls and takes forever.

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Check the fit of the charge bar in its chrome housing. Too tight and you get what you're experiencing; too loose and powder leaks out and shot pellets get caught in between. That fit is easy to adjust by peening or loosening the rivets holding the housing together.

Ed

8. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I am with hm here! I still use a 650 I bought new in 1969! Yes, I upgraded the primer mech, the crimp dies etc and new linkage once! Since using that loader, I owned two 366s, one pw800+, two 9000 gs, etc. I got rid of all of them and still prefer the 650 although it is slightly slower than the others but not much!! I got tired of the 366 shaving shot and dropping heavy loads on the first reload after setting for a while! Main reason I got rid of the 366 and 800+ is that I need adjustable charge bars that only the mecs can use. I got rid of the 9000 because it definitely took more effort to operate the handle than my 650s! Yes, I have 3 of the 650s! Now, if I understand your "stick" statement, you probably mean the charge bar sticking after you drop shot and the bar does not go all the way to the right properly dropping the powder?! If so, it is real simple. Either your grommets are a mess but more likely, you have one or both of the bottles screwed in too tight! Anyway, the upgrades were not a good thing for me! Tom Rhoads

9. nm3

nm3 Member

Yes, you are correct. The charge bar sticks occasionally. I am using a red powder baffle, no bushings. No bushings on lead shot side either. I have played around with the chrome U shaped plate trying to get the charge bar fit just right. I have filed/sanded the corners on the charge bar to eleviate possibility of hanging up. I have also tried loosening the bottles.

10. willing

willing Member

nm3
    Check your PM

Bill

11. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I could certainly afford the cost of upgrading but I can't justify it as I have used my MEC 650 for over 32 years and never experienced a sticking issue. It is dependable and the output of volume keeps up with the number of shells that I desire to shoot. I use a metal baffle; also, I unhook the spring after each use and even replace the spring every 10 years. You may even check the bar to assure the powder bushing is flush with the top of the bar and doesn't drag. Sometimes powder can get under the flare in the bushing. I do not use the brass ring with my loader. Also, I use a little dry graphite on the bar. Move the bar back and forth with the spring disconnected and see if you feel any drag on it. I also do not use soft shot and any shot other than 7 1/2's. I have a couple of these loaders and have been trouble free for over 30 years. Best dollar for dollar value of any loaders; just my opinion. BT100dc

12. nm3

nm3 Member

I appreciate the input. I have a new return spring plus 3 washers. Believe me it slides freely, normally. I'm using magnum 8 shot. I haven't tried any dry lube/graphite.

Do all of the MEC bottles still have a whitish/clear bushing in them? Could that have anything to do with this?

13. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

I have a 650 for sale if anyone is interested. motordoc

14. nm3

nm3 Member

Did a little rechecking of some things, cleaning, lubing. I thought I had the new spring on it, but I didn't. Installed the new spring, checked and setup according to MEC Youtube videos the primer drop, charge bar lock, drop tubes and it seems to be working better. Loaded to boxes of shells and it didn't lock up. Thanks for the help. I'll keep the 650 a little while longer.... :)

15. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

I have a 9000G and just sent an email to a fellow and will be picking up another 9000G in the morning for $225.

I loaded a ton of shells with a 650 but upgrading is a good thing.

FRedmon

16. halfmile

The bushing in the bottle is to exert pressure on the rubber grommet. Examination will reveal that the bare bottle will not hold the grommet down properly.

HM

17. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

I had 650's before I accidentally picked up a used Hydraulic Mec for $400 with a pump...luckiest thing that ever happened to me. I would never have guessed how much difference it would make! I still have my 650's for a backup...but having to resize my hulls as a separate operation was killing me. Waaay to much pulling...twice as much as necessary....and half the speed of the hydraulic operation.

Back to your problem...loosen the bottles a little, and remove and thoroughly clean the charge bar. I even took some 1000 grit sand paper placed on a piece of glass and trued mine up. That should eliminate the hanging issue . The most likely issue is bottles too tight...after I did all the above, tight bottles was the issue, they need to be "loose!"

What ever the issue is...you should get familiar enough with the machine to fix it. The same thing can happen and has happened on my 9000's as well....but the speed of a 9000 hydraulic compared to two operations and hand pulling 650's is not even in the same universe. One complete resized shell every 5 or 6 seconds with a 9000 hyd.....

Happy trails..Stan

18. halfmile

FWIW, a sticking bar would not be a "650" related problem since all the Mecs have the same setup.

I would also upgrade the operating bellcrank to the later version with the roller on it.

HM

19. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Whenever I have bought a new Mec. (3 times in 40+ years of reloading) I take the charge bar out and use a file and make sure there are no burrs on it or the hole it goes in.

You'd be surprised at how this little detail helps out. Make sure it passes through unencumbered by any hang ups.

Hauxfan!

20. 100straight

100straight Member

Any machine will do odd things if you don't perform adjustments and periodic maintenance.

Mark

Search tags for this page

charge bar hang up on a 9000g mec reloader

charge bar sticks on mec 650
old mec 650 hydrolic reloader