1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec Reloader Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Uncle Screech, Oct 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

I've been reloading for about a year now with a Mec Sizemaster. It has been a good choice for me and I fully intend to keep it active. But now that I've found a couple recipes that I like I think I want to be able to "step up the pace". I was looking at the Mec progressive reloaders, specifically the 650 and 9000GN, and for the life of me can't see why I would spend an extra $200 dollars on the 9000 just to have a finished shell ejected automatically.

So here are my questions, that CAN'T be the only real difference between the 650 and the 9000, is it?

And anyone who has a 650, do you wish you HAD spent the extra money? Or if you have a 9000 do you wish you had saved a couple hundred?

Thank you for reading this and for all the other times you all have helped me out.

Greg

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

MEC has three progressive reloaders and you touched either end.

- the 650 does not have re-sizing, nor auto-advance

- the 8567 'Grabber' has the same collet re-sizing with which you are already familiar, and no auto-advance

- the 9000 has everything, plus auto-advance plus kicks the shell out

Not having re-sizing may/may not be a pain for you (depending on your volume, you could always deprime/resize on your sizemaster), but if you like re-sizing and don't mind indexing by hand, don't want to spend what a 9000 costs, the Grabber is the no-apology choice.

Bob

3. BIG B

BIG B Member

I have a sizemaster, a 650, and two 9000g's. I love them all, but I love the 9000's best!!!

4. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

Thank you Bob. I went back and re-read the descriptions at the Mec site. I do see the differences now, plus I feel like a junior twit for not reading it more carefully to begin with.

Mr. It's time for glasses

5. SRT8

SRT8 TS Member

If you are looking for speed, then purchase the 9000H. You will not regret it!

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Greg, If you buy your shells new and shoot them in only one gun, and its not a automatic??? Then the 650 without the resizer will work fine for you. Now if you shoot several guns and some auto's as well, then you might look at the grabber or 9000gn. I like to box my shells as I load, and find that the grabber works better for me. Also gives me a couple of seconds to look at the loads in the machine,make sure primer fell and so on before I pull the handle. Now I will tell you a progressive machine is a whole different animal than the single stage machine. While it is faster, you can make a mess like you have not seen yet!! Also light powder drops are more common, not to mention if you get a bad run of shells you have alot more bad shells to shoot (or take apart) if you mess something up. Just wanted to give you a heads up BEFORE you buy anything. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

U.S.: <i>... I went back and re-read the descriptions at the Mec site. I do see the differences now, plus I feel like a junior twit for not reading it more carefully to begin with. </i>

Not saying if you need glasses or don't, but ... could you tell I've done this summarizing before? MEC's descriptions are perfectly clear when you know what you're looking for already.

I do not care for MEC's collet resizing scheme, but most people love it, especially if they are hull whores and have lots of steel-head hulls.

The only reason for buying a 9000 that I can see is to load a couple of flats in an evening. If you're ok with not that much efficiency, you can keep a few bucks in your jeans.

Bob

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Contrary to popular belief, the Mec 650 DOES INDEED resize, but it does so as a separate operation with a sizing adaptor that is attached to the deprime station. You size the hulls and then remove the adaptor and then load the resized hulls as a progressive loader. You could also use a separate sizer, since Mec sells the collet sizer tool separately. The sizing operation on the 650 is crude, but it works well enough. It's just a "ring" type die and not a "collet". If cost is the issue, the 650 is a great loader and will produce a quality shell. It has the "taper" finishing die that most single stage machines lack. If the money wasn't the "real" problem, I'd say "buy the 9000GN" and you won't be sorry. It's fast enough, produces a quality shell, and is simple enough to operate and maintain. I have a number of Mecs and my collection includes a few 650s, one of which was my first progressive. They still work reliably and I keep them set up for some "special" loads that I don't load too often. I have a few of the universal mounting plates and can swap out the presses quickly.

9. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

If you are going to reload the cheap shells then the collet type is the only way. Next If you are going to put out money then go with the best and get a 9000. and a universal charge bar. You will not look back and say " I wished I had "

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

ricks1's advice is right on the money.

Sure it cost a bit more to buy the 9000 series, but in the end, you'll never have to wonder if you should have.

Hauxfan!

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Rjick, I did the same thing. I got some kind of bursitis or something in my shoulder, and it went away when I took off the auto advance. I do like the shell kick-out, a hole in my bench top drops the loads into a bin box.

HM

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Mec also made what is called the Case Conditioner, it resizes and deprimes fired hulls, and can be adjusted to do all four gauges. HMB

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Most of us scrounge for shells and not having a convenient re-sizer could be a real problem for hulls having been shot in other guns. I've bought 500 hulls at a time and know from experience they should be resized. Then, I like the speed of the progressive loaders BUT I do not prefer having any additional items that do work, like turning the turret for me. Thus, I'm a great fan of the Grabber for the average application. To me the "auto-advance" feature is just another system that can fail or complicate the operation. Were I interested in having the auto advance then I'd look at the hydraulic operated 9000H. Me? I have a 9000H that has been pretty trouble free and a Grabber from the 70s that would still be my choice were I to start over. My $ 0.2.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

14. willing

willing Member

My wife will sell my MEC9000GN/Automate AFTER I'm gone! I sold the 600 and Grabber.

Bill

15. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Going on 22 plus years with a 9000H hydraulic. Well over 250,000 rounds loaded through it, from duck loads to 1oz trap loads. Not one problem that is worth talking about. Still useing the original resizer collett in it. Two shot bar return springs broken, 4 primer tray springs broken, (problem solved with the new primer tray), and one bar actuator roller worn out. Total cost for these repair parts? Less than $20.00. I sent it back to MEC last year to have them go completely through it and rebuild it. It was starting to get a little loose in a few places, so thought I would just have it done. Total cost to rebuild it? $135.00. Not bad for an older MEC hydraulic. If it ever does wear out, beyond repair, it will be replaced with a new 9000H.... Just my experience.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

16. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

over the past few years I have bought rehabed and sold many MEC loaders.
    I sold all but 3. My very first loader 30.00 650, I put 25.00 worth of parts and I was hooked. Since then I have bought and sold about 45 loaders 600-9000g

My current set up 9000g for 1oz 1145fps rounds-my all around load. I use this for 16s, practice,fun shoots, new shooters
    9000g #2 is set up for 1200fps 1 1/8 for ATA shoots

the 650 is for trial loads. handicap, light loads, new powder/wad/primer combo's

All in all the 650 is by far my favorite loader, the only thing that gives me trouble is 100count primer tray.

Both 9000 where perchased used, and also a mess.
    bonus was they both came with the new primer trays, extra parts bottles,bushings. Im into both for 300.00 bucks

PS I batch resize my shells with the reconditioner. looks like a single station press. ring resizer and deprimer.

I have had to many issues with the collet sizer. Most are damaged when I recieve them. Unless I am reselling I do not replace them. I adjust the collet for a very loose grip.
    speed for speed well the 9000 when functioning 100% will beat the 650.

17. Harley Lekvold

Harley Lekvold TS Supporters TS Supporters

Subject: Mec Reloader Question
    Email:
    Date: Thu, Oct 08, 2009 - 01:50 PM ET
    Website Address:

Going on 22 plus years with a 9000H hydraulic. Well over 250,000 rounds loaded through it, from duck loads to 1oz trap loads. Not one problem that is worth talking about. Still useing the original resizer collett in it. Two shot bar return springs broken, 4 primer tray springs broken, (problem solved with the new primer tray), and one bar actuator roller worn out. Total cost for these repair parts? Less than $20.00. I sent it back to MEC last year to have them go completely through it and rebuild it. It was starting to get a little loose in a few places, so thought I would just have it done. Total cost to rebuild it? $135.00. Not bad for an older MEC hydraulic. If it ever does wear out, beyond repair, it will be replaced with a new 9000H.... Just my experience.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

MEC first Mec 9000 series loaders were shipped in May 1990.

18. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

I have been using a MEC 9000H for over 20 years. I have had very few & they were extremely minor problems. In Fact, the only one I can think of, is the spring to return the bar.
    Mec service dept. has been triple A in performance.
    Joe Jordan

19. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

Perhaps, I should explain the triple A performance,since I only listed one problem. I have had other problems in the operation of the machine,that MEC has solved with me holding my telephone & standing in front of the machine. When they say," Do this."; I do this. When they say," Do that."; I do that. In other words, they solve my problems over Bell's invention.
    Joe Jordan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to load slugs on a mec 650 press

how to set primer depth on mec 650n

how to set up a mec sizemaster

loading new shootsells with mec

mec progressive reloader can you manually index

mec sizemaster reloader

older mec progressive reloader

puting mec sizemaster together