1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC RELOADER CLEANING

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gdbabin, Jul 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

The MEC manual states that a clean machine is a happy machine. I have run some 10,000 rounds through my 650 that I bought newly reconditioned from a gent here on TS.com and sense that it's not quite as smooth as it was when I got it.

The manual does not provide cleaning instructions. How far should I disassemble the beast to get her all cleaned-up? How often do the MEC reloading gurus out there take theirs down for a good cleaning and lubrication?

Thanks,

Guy Babin

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Guy..... I run a Mec 9000H and a Mec Grabber, that I've have for over 20 plus years. I take them off the bench about once every couple years and really clean them out with some carburator cleaner, removing any and all plastic parts first. I then blow them dry with my air compressor, spray them liberally with Breakfree CLP, let sit for about 1 hour or so, then blow the excess off. I reassemble the plastic parts that are not worn, and replace those that are. I grease the sizing collett with Permatex anti sieze, grease the roller for the crimp station, the roller for the adjustable slide bar, and a shot of oil where they need it. I put the new primer trays back on, spray a soft cloth with Scotts Liquid Gold and wipe the inside of the tray. I also run a cue tip throught the channel the primers slide through that has some Liquid Gold on it as well, polishing it for smoother primer drops After that, I only grease the sizing collett about once every 1000 rounds, and a drop of oil here and there, and call it good. Has worked flawlessly for all these years and cranks out a terrific reload with every press on the foot pedal..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I clean mine every couple of years or so, or when something major breaks and requires some disassembly. I lube the collet and everything else quite regularly. If it starts to look real grimy, it gets a cleaning. I only remove what I need to, depending on the press. The 650 does not have a collet, so that's one less thing to take down. I clean inside the crimp and finishing dies, since there will be some build up on occasion. I also replace whatever parts look worn at that time. My oldest 650 has a "tube" primer feed and has not needed a "complete" teardown yet. It will eventually get a rebuild, since it now looks it's age.

4. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

dewley, you been in my shop?

Ajax

5. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I feel so guilty....

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

dewley- Just looks like a normal reloading area. But, the cloth under the press might make it more difficult to sweep the stuff on the floor. I think I see Red Dot and Green Dot. Excellent powders.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

clean mec sizemaster

clean your mec reloader

cleaning mec sizemaster reloader forum

should the dies on a mec reloader be cleaned

where to grease my mec sizemaster