1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC refurb question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by leftex, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leftex

leftex Active Member

I'm refurbishing a 600 Jr. Does anybody know what the finish is on the turret frame? Is it some kind of bluing or maybe black oxide?
    Thanks,
    Wayne

2. leftex

leftex Active Member

3. leftex

leftex Active Member

Anybody?

4. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

I will take a stab at it and say black oxide, which is in fact a form of bluing. Now then it seems to me that you might be able to get a black finish by using cold bluing over and over. Might be worth a shot to Email Mec and ask them. I remember years ago I had a rough looking machinist's height gauge redone on the company's dime. I worked for Valenite Metals at the time and they had in house black oxide processes to put a finish on milling cutter bodies and components. Might look around for a gunsmith that does hot bluing and ask them about a black finish. Some of newer type bake on gun finishing systems might just work also. Check out Brownell's or Midway USA. good luck Bill. PS let us know what you find out.

5. leftex

leftex Active Member

Bill,

I'm looking to do this on the cheap. I can get black oxide for free. That is most likely what I will try first.

Thanks,
    Wayne

6. leftex

leftex Active Member

FWIW I ended up using cold blue. Looks pretty good, not great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.