1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC QUESTION

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WYBOO WOOD, Jul 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WYBOO WOOD

WYBOO WOOD Member

I am new to reloading. I have a MEC 600 jr. I am attempting to throw 21 gr of

Green Dot for some 1 1/8 oz loads and am using MEC's # 34 bushing. Using an

RCBS scale, I have not been able to throw more than 19.8 gr. Have tried with

the powder bottle nearly full. And am using a powder baffle. Is this a

humidity issue?. Or is this the usual variation that occurs?. Any ideas ??

Thanks

Dave Hunt.

2. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

On a jr, you have to remember that each powder charge is shaken down with 5 handle strokes. This makes a difference. Work the handle 5 times before you throw a powder charge in your scale pan. You might find it closer than you think. This drove me crazy when I first started reloading on a MEC jr. Good Luck

3. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

Also keep in mind that different lots of powder may weight differently in the same bushing.Try stroking the handle as stated above to settle the powder then weigh it and change bushing as necessary to get the right weight.Also,the load books usually allow for a +/- of 5%,which could yield a drop of between 20-22 grains.It won't be 21 grains exactly every time.

4. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

If you are using a #34 bushing because of Alliant's bushing chart... then what you are seeing is very common. The bushing charts are just starting references. I also suspect that Alliant did that on purpose to cover themselves with people that reload with out a scale.

Try Leo's suggestion first, before going up one bushing. Make sure you check your powder drops every now and then especially with your first 25 shells to confirm what your bushing is dropping.

With a 600 Jr you may find that you can get better consistency with the powder drops if you deprime all the hulls you plan to reload, then prime them all as separate operations with no powder in the bottle. Then do the powder drop, wad, shot drop, pre-crimp and crimp for each shell. This way you eliminate 2 up and down strokes before dropping powder.

Jason

5. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Never.....Never trust a bushing, a bushing chart......or anything else that is guess work......USE A SCALE!!!!!!

GS

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Dave take off that powder baffle and move the handle 5 times up and down, if your drops are still light go up one more bushing. Each bushing size is around 6/10 of a grain. Just so you know. Simple. Break-em all. Jeff

7. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

get the universal charge bar is best money you will spend

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Trust your scale and not the bushing chart. Usually a non-progressive loader like the 600jr will drop a little heavier than a progressive, given the use of the same size bushing and same powder. If memory serves me, I think I was using a #35 bushing for about 21 grains of Green Dot the last time I used one of my 600jrs. The # 35 throws a little over 20 in my progressive. Changing to a different lot of powder can cause a deviation from the bushing charts as well. Use a scale and be sure to operate the handle 5 or 6 times before dropping a powder charge to weigh. Weigh at least 5 and get an average. Check it again during the loading process. I don't use or recommend the powder baffles. It's just one more thing to screw up. I've had powder bridge in them on occasion. Stopped using them years ago and never looked back. I saw very little difference in variations with or without.

9. WYBOO WOOD

WYBOO WOOD Member

Many thanks to all who responded. You have provided some excellent information. Will try some of the suggestions. Dave Hunt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.