1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC QUESTION

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WYBOO WOOD, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WYBOO WOOD

WYBOO WOOD Member

I purchased a new MEC Grabber press lately. Does anyone have any guidance as to how to adjust the reprime tube? I have tried many adjustments and have had limited success. I get the charge bar to move to the right whem re-priming and adding powder,but then the bar won't re-latch to the left after the wad is added and shot is dropped. I wonder if the clamp is slipping.
    All the crimping stations are working well.
    I am using a Universal Charge Bar, but don't believe it is the cause of any problems. Using Win. AA HS shells Thanks Dave

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

There are 4 adjustments that can be made to the priming station. What problem are you having with the primer tube? HMB

3. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Sir, you mention primer tube and then you talk about charge bar. A sticky charge bar is a pain. I wipe the charge bar and the channel it slides in very clean and dust it lightly with motor mica or baby powder. it is also common for people to twist the powder and shot bottles too tight. Back them out a little. As far as the primer feed, is it hanging up at the top or the bottom? I deburred the top hole with a rat tail file on mine and I do not snap the lid all the way down. That little extra room to rattle around as well as the rounded edges on the top of the tube make it feed fine on both of my Grabbers. Good Luck

4. WYBOO WOOD

WYBOO WOOD Member

LEO: It seems that the depth the primer tube decends into the prmer holder is the problem. Deprime a shell and then moove it to the re-prime station. Depress the handle and the shell is reprimed and powder dropped. Ths charge bar unlatches and moves to the right as it should. Adding a wad and depressing the handle charges the hull with shot. The charge bar moves to the left but will not be latched there by what MEC calls the Bar Lock. The Bar Lock will not be repositioned so that it catches the charge bar and holds it in the left position prepared for the next cycle. I have tried up and down with the reprime tube with no success. The reprime tube decends to a different depth if there is no primer in the holder compared to actually repriming a hull. I wonder if the clamp on the reprime tube won't securely hold the tube. I understand MEC has a "hot line" and if I can find it I plan to call and inquire. Thanks Dave

5. smokeater6844

smokeater6844 Member

Dave

My Grabber only latches the charge bar to the left when there is no hull in the #2 reprime/powder drop station. It is actuated by a small rod running up the left end of the charge bar locking tang. Under normal loading conditions the charge bar does not lock to the left but stays right when replacing loaded shell with empty hull and setting a wad. As long as the primer is being seated all the way without anything binding you should be in business.

Brian "Robbies Dad"

6. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

My new adjustable bar for my Grabber needed a little filing before it would quit hanging. Works great now...Bill

7. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

I gave up on my Universal Charge bar. The thing would always bind on my 9000 even after filing, sanding and fiddling with it. The best lub I have found for the charge bar is candle wax. Just rub the candle on it. Do not drip the wax on the bar.

8. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

dpwmload the mech manual. Generally it is the powder drop tube that is not extended far enuff that causes the charge bar not to latch when there is no shell. I cant remember the exace setting but it is further than I originally would have thought it was. Seens that the tube had to bee down enuff to compress the spring above the powder drop tube about a quater inch before the charge bar would start catching. Hope this helps.

Bob

9. Model32Shooter

Model32Shooter Member

Wyboo,
    Is the screw in the front of the charge bar travelling the full length of the

slot in the powder/shot measure assy. when the bar is going to the left?

(towards lock) Just kissing the left side of the slot with the screw is good.

The bar needs to travel far enough left for the Bar Lock to be able to have a little clearance (between bar and Bar Lock) so it can pop up under the small spring pressure of the Bar Lock and catch (lock) the bar.

The distance that the charge bar moves is controlled by the rod and nut running vertically on the right hand side of the machine.

As you are using the Universal Charge Bar, you may need to make a "travel adjustment" for this bar with the rod/nut.

Just trying to help!

Bob

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The bar lock is only supposed to work when you empty out the press.

If it locked with a shell in it and you move the rotor you will have a dud load with no powder.

Like smokeater said.

The chage tube seating the primer should compress about 3/16 to 1/4 inch. Less may make a primer not seat fully, and the round will hang when rotating and make a mess. More will make for hard operation. All you want to do is seat the primer fully. If the bar lock does not work when the #2 station is empty you may have too much compression, and the press thinks you have a round in.

The little tab the rod rides in may in some cases have to be bent a bit.

HM

11. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Read between the lines guys! I have a suspicion that Wyboo is new to reloading, at least on a Mec!? It sounds like he thinks the charge bar is supposed to lock to the left when he makes a downstroke of the handle?! Unless something is different on a grabber vs my 650 and 9000, it better not lock to the left in the downstroke unless station 2 is empty and he plans to shutdown?! Tom Rhoads

12. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Tom is correct. The bar lock does not even have to be on the machine for it to operate correctly. Its purpose is only to lock the back to the left, should you choose to do so. I have one 9000G that doesn't even have a bar lock on it.

Jon Reitz

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Here's the contact info for MEC. Their website can be accessed at the url above. They will be happy to help you out if you give them a call or contact them at the following phone number or email addresses.

Customer Service: 1-800-797-4MEC (4632)

Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. CST

Email:

Sales: sales@mecreloaders.com

Technical Support: support@mecreloaders.com

Web Page Problems: webmaster@mayvl.com.

14. WYBOO WOOD

WYBOO WOOD Member

Gentlemen: You are correct, I am a new reloader. Have about a year on a 650 jr. and got quite comfortable with it. Bought the Grabber, and found that it is quite a different item.

Certaintly want to thank all of you for your responss. I have a clearer picture of the operation of the press now, although some questions remain. I'll deal with MEC's tech support for any future help. E-mail me if you have any additional thoughta. Thanks again. Dave Hunt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec grabber primer hanging up in tube

primer depth setting me grabber