1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC, PW, or ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Setterman, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I am considering either rebuilding my MEC 9000H, buying a new MEC to replace it (it was rebuilt about 7 years ago), or possibly try a PW, Spolar, or ?

I have 9000G's for my subgauge loading, but I would consider a different loader if there was a legit reason to switch to PW, Spolar, etc, however it has to be electric or hydraulic.

Why is a PW, Spolar, or other better than a MEC? I want real info, and not a peeing match. Try to keep it civil please. Thanks!

Rosey

2. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

setterman, I never reloaded very much on anything but MEC's so I am not much help for your question. I am wondering, what happens to a MEC that makes one get it rebuilt? I bought both of mine used and I know that at least 50,000 shells have been reloaded on my old one since I bought it. All I do is keep it cleaned and lubed. I replaced a crimp starter and a few wad guides as well as a return spring, but that is really about it. Maybe I'm missing something.

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Everybody who answers you will tell you that theirs is the best loader and you ought to buy one.

If you're happy with what you use, why change? Loading shells on a different brand loader will not make you a better shot.

MK

4. Setterman

They replace to collet, all the crimping heads, and any other bent, worn, or damaged parts. Thet welded a washer under my primer station because it had worn a deep recess from use. They will replace the main spring if they feel it is needed and then they reset the timing. I've done all of my own parts replacement since it was rebuilt, but I don't profess to be a MEC expert.

And no, I don't expect a different loader to give me better scores (eyes rolling...duh)

5. Nuts

Nuts TS Member

Rosey, I posed virtually the same question a couple of weeks ago. I to use MEC's 9000 for subgauge with automate. That works well, but is a little slow for the volume of 12g rounds I want to produce going forward.

It down to a Dillon or Spolar for me...most likely Dillon due to cost.

One thing is PW is suppose to be coming out with something new soon--so I'm waiting to be what that might be. I've pried around trying to find out that might be, but no one is giving up anything.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

From what you have said, I would suggest you stay with Mec. You know their press inside an out, and seem comfortable using them. HMB

7. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I have loaded on nearly all of them and my pick is the PW, but Spolar is really good too. If money was no object I would buy a Spolar.
    Don

8. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I agree with rennerize. Mec is a good loader but Spolar is the best. I plan to buy a Spolar when I have the extra money.

9. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Unless you "just have to" get a new loader, I would wait to see what P/W has up their sleeve? It is suppose to be pretty trick, but as said above, no one is letting many details out about it. I pried both Whiz and Bruce at the factory, and my total knowledge of the new unit is not much. What I do know is the electric drive will work, and it has a shell feeder....wow, so does the 800+. It will not drop shot or powder if the hull is absent, so that is a good feature when you miss a primer.

I currently use a Spolar hydraulic, and love it. Curious to see the new P/W unit brings to the party.

10. Simphoto

Simphoto TS Member

I use Dillon for my pistol and rifle rounds, 9mm, 40 s&w, 45 acp, 38 spec, 357 mag, 44mag .223 and 30-06.

LOVE IT.

I used to use a MEC 900 for my 12 ga. Just sold it. Been using a PW 900 for 10 years for the 12 and now for 20's BEST reloader I ever used. Never tried a Spolar, afraid of how much I will like it.

PW's are tits, at leats my 900's are simply because the WORK! VERY accurate powder drops, even though I do check often, and the full length case resizing dies with the taper crimps are a HUGE plus.

Once you get the rhythm they crank out the shells fast. Only problem I ever have is that they run out of shot, powder and primers too fast. SAME problem with the dillon's.

the SL900 Dillon, i hear is all that with chips. throw a PW auto electric power unit on it and watch out Francis! hope you have a good supply of shot powder and primers with either the PW or Dillon, and i would imagine the Spolar. God help me when I see one of those things in person.

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I have owned a lot of loading tools. I have never owned a tool that had to be rebuilt after seven years. I now have PWs four of them 12,20,28,and 410 I ave needed to put parts on a couple of them but rebuild them No.

If all you are getting is seven years out of a reloading tool why buy the same tool again???? Not me it would be something else. I am not saying buy PW I am saying if all you are only getting seven years from your Mec you should shop around for a tool with a little more longevity.

Bob Lawless

12. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Didreckson, I think if you miss just a primer it will still drop the powder and shot. But if a hull is missing it will not.
    Don

13. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I used a Mec 650 for years and it worked fine and I still think its a good machine. I had a chance to buy a 800+ with hydro and its a great machine. They both loaded good shells but the P/W's crimp is superior and I like the way it works.

For me its like buying a car......something a little different each time isn't all bad either. I'd go with what intrigues you and have fun at it.

14. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

The Spolar is a PROVEN LOADER. The new PW thats coming out is not. Till the new PW has proven its self zmy money is on the Spolar at this time.

15. Setterman

I may have to clarify a few things. My son and I shoot 30,000 reloaded rounds a year. He shoots registered sporting and I shoot registered trap and some registered sporting. We also help run a local club that shoots trap, skeet, and 5 stand on Wednesday nights. So we are shooters. I kept track one year and shot 23,000 myself, but I've cut back since.

Ivanhoe, that machine maybe has 200,000 to 250,000 rounds thru it since the last rebuild, and I've probably put $85 in it at the most since. Not bad.

One thing with the MEC, the standard 1 1/8 oz bars drop 490gr of shot +/- w/8's, and 466 w/ 7 1/2's, so I drimmel out a bar just for 7 1/2's.

What does PW and Spolar do in that case? I don't use an adjustable bar, cause they're not consistant. Too much weighing involved with every change.

Lets continue the + and - of other loaders.

16. Joen

Joen Member

I bought a Spolar 1year ago my first reloader, first time I very reloaded, after talking with my freinds that have MEC loaders the hyd spolar is very fast
    1. I can reload and box 600 shell in about 70 min without pushing it
    2. Holds a full bag of shot 25 lbs
    3. 300 primers
    4. to change shot size or volume you just change a bushing 30 sec that come with
    5. to change powder just change the bushing 30 secs

I just loaded my 30,000th reload out of it tomight the only problems I have had are self produced one's the loader has be very good

would spend the money and do it again the holding a full bag of shot it the nicest thing
    Joe N

17. andybull

andybull Active Member

I don't care if I ever reload, I just sit there and enjoy looking at my Spolar. I always wanted one and now I have it.

18. Setterman

Thanks Joen. I pulled up the Spolar website and watched a video of the hydraulic unit. What a monster!

19. Setterman

What are the comparable costs? MEC, PW, Spolar, RCBS.

20. Simphoto

Simphoto TS Member

All the prices are on the websites, but you can figure $800-$900 for a PW, $600-$800 for a MEC with the power units, I think, and about $1,200+ for the Spolar.

It really boils down to what you can afford and vs. what you plan to do with it. I STRONGLY believe in the theory of not wasting you money and go the BEST you can afford, THE FIRST TIME!

If I didn't have my first PW given to me (for payment of a debt) then I would have looked VERY seriously at the Sploar. They are just freakin awesome.

I LOVE my two PW's. and I firmly believe that the Spolar and the PW 900's I have are for the most part comparable and deliver equally excellent service. I have dealt with the folks at PW on several occasions over the latest acquisition (the 20 Ga. 900 purchased from some WD-40 loving BOOB on Ebay) and have found their help to be first rate and friendly. I can only image what the customer service from Spolar is like. I read here and other places that it is awesome too. The again I have never even touch a Sploar much less seen one in person, YET!

I just keep telling my self that, over and over again....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.