1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC Pump Pressure Adjustment

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bob Merkov, Sep 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Merkov

Bob Merkov Member

Can anyone tell me which way to turn the adjustment screw to increase the pressure? My 9000 is not going all the way up by about 1/4" and I have to force it up with my hand. Everything (linkage) is lubricated and moving freely with very little wear where the bolts go through. The collette and operating bar are moving freely and are lubricated. I'm at the very top, as far as adjustment goes, on the cylinder. MEC told me to adjust this upward, and it seemed to work for about 25-30 rounds, but since has returned to not going to the top again.

I operated the cylinder several times while not attached to the machine and it does not return full stroke. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks in advance!

2. Erik W

Erik W Member

Bob - does it go up at normal speed or does it struggle to get to level where you have to assist. I have 20ga 9000h that comes down fine , but struggles to go back up. I have checked & lubed linkage & collet per instuctions from MEC. They did not mention possible cylinder adjustment. Pump is fine as it operates my 12ga 9000h with no issues. I think I might just pack it up and send to MEC during bird season.

3. Robb

Robb Member

Are you low on oil? I assume you are but had to ask.

4. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

The cylinder has an internal spring to return the press back up. It only uses hydraulic pressure on the down stroke. Make sure you let the foot pedal fully return to avoid a small amount of hydraulic pressure to prevent the cylinder from making a normal up-stroke.

Jim

5. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Bob,

Disconnect the hyd line at the cly and take the bolt out at the top of the linkage that pulls the press down, make sure the shut off valve on the cly is open if it has one. Put some rags on the end of the line outlet and push the cly rod down and see if it returns to the top with ease do it several times to check. If it does return most likely it's not the cly, now push down on the top of the press and see if it returns to the top with ease ck several times if it is sticking ck actuator rod for binding {lube}. I hope this helps.

thanks
    lee

6. Bob Merkov

Bob Merkov Member

Thanks for the help, everyone! Oil level is good and I have on pressure on the foot pedal. I haven't tried pushing down on the cylinder as of yet, but will do it later on today. Thanks again!

7. johnpe

johnpe Member

I, too, have had the same problem with my 20 gauge pre-9000 hydralic MEC. However, the problem always happens when I'm trying to load hulls with steel heads such as Remington field loads. The hulls made of real brass, such as AA or STS, cause absolutely no problems. I assume its because the steel is just too hard for the collet to squeeze back to the correct diameter with the pressure the pump can put on the cylinder. I usually get it done, but have to SLIGHTLY back off on the pedal so the hulls drop down a LITTLE then back on the pedal to finish resizing. BIG CAUTION HERE. Let the hulls drop too far and you have the possibility of double charging with powder since the charge bar is returning to its original position as the hulls move down. Keep your eye on the location of the charge bar screw in its slot when you make this move. Don't let it move over about a quarter of an inch.

Johnpe

8. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

If you adjusted it to put hundreds of more PSI, it not solve your problem. The cylinder pulls the MEC linkage on the downstroke. The spring in the cylinder and on the colume bring's the ram back up to the top. Somewhere you have a friction point and is probably due to lack of lubrication.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
mec 9000 hydraulic checking oil level
mec collet adjustment
mec hydraulic pump adjustments

psi on mec 9000h