1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec problem with Fiochhi & Cheddite primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tburrey, Oct 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tburrey

tburrey Member

For about 3 yrs. now I have been using these primers with no problems. Over that period of time I've always had some difficulty (about half the time) with my Mec sort of hanging up and the bottom of the stroke. If I pushed harder it would deprime and resize the hull OK. I have a grabber and an older 650. Today, I finally figured out the primers were the reason the Mec was sort of hanging up sometimes. I have a old resizer unit(stand alone unit) and I just got the primers started out (did not resize the whole brass) and used a pair of vice grips to pull the primer all the way out then used these cases without primers on both of my Mec's and no hangup at all. I'm going to buy a box of remington or winchester primers and see if I have any problem with them.I used to use those factory primers without a catch. I reload STS and gun clubs most of the time. Just thought this was interesting. By the way if I used my old single deprimer and deprimed and resized the hull same thing no hang up on the loaders. Tom

2. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

Let us know how that works out.

Regards, Pete

3. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

Tom.....I had a similar problem when I tested Cheddite and Fiocchi primers. The problem is the shape of the foreign battery cup. The American primers are slightly tapered and once the deprime pin gets them about 3/4 of the way out, they just drop out of the way. The European primers are full diameter all the way and if the deprime pin doesn't push it completely out, it hangs up the turret. I lowered the deprime punch as low as I could and it makes life a LOT easier. If you lower it so it JUST clears the resized hull it works better.

Jere

4. tburrey

tburrey Member

Jere, thanks for your comments. I guess I didn't make myself clear, my primers drop out of the case OK the problem is when I get to the initial contact with punching out the primer the handle stops and I must apply more pressure to start the primer out of the case. This is the hang up I'm referring too. It doesn't do it all the time but sometimes when it does you would think your bending the brass as it sort of snaps then pushes the primer on out of the case. This happens on both my loaders and also my single stage resizer. Both machines work great when the primer is already punched out with my single unit. Tom

5. Borderland

Borderland Member

It has been shown a couple of times on this site that Cheddite primers are dimensionally identical to Winchesters but the Fiocchi 616 primer is considerably larger in diameter. I have loaded thousands of Cheddites on my Mec with no problems but I would never try to put a Fiocchi 616 in a Gun Club case...

Ken

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I put Fiocchi primers in Gun Clubs all the time.

The older Fiocchi 615 were indeed larger, if you loaded a shell that had one of those in previously the primer would fall out.

burrey, your problem sounds like the primer is not quite seated all the way.

If you have a hangup pull the shell out and see how the primer is seated. The edge of the primer catches when you try to rotate it.

Lower your powder droop tube, you want at least 1/8" of spring compression, maybe a little more to seat the primer fully.

HM

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Never had a problem, unless something is not adjusted correctly, or there is something wrong with the press. A bent or breaking operating handle can start showing symptoms with priming/deprimimg. When is the last time you lubricated your tools?

8. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I'm also reloading the Fiocchi 616, Cheddites and Winchesters on the same Mec Reloaders. There is a slight variation in primer o.d. and tapers. I can notice that the Fiocchi's seat a bit stiffer but havn't encountered major machine issues.

If I were in your shoes I'd clear my press of shot and powder and try de-prime and prime cycles on the hulls only to see if mechanically every thing is ok. When you find your problem (simple fix I'm sure) the primed hulls can be put back into the machine at the prime station.

But, you are correct. The Remington hulls do reload these primers a bit stiffer than the old style AA's. The AA's will accept these primers easier. I can't elaporate how they reload in the newer style AA's because I have other Issues with them and have no desire to touch them at this time.

If you want diameter sizes I'll mic some for you. Or maybe I can find a published sheet with this info on them. When I start experimenting with some of these primers, this is why I'm glad that I've never gotten rid of my old 600 juniors. Make life easier to see what you are up against.

9. biggunone

biggunone Member

I just started loading fio 616 in my gun clubs no problem,and i could put my rem primers back in after i use the fio 616.I was told the rem would fall out because the 616 are larger and they are but it still works so far,i use a p/w 800 plus loader great machine,breakem all tom.

10. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I have a 650 and have the same problem occasionally. I found that this is cause by the hull not centered in the seat. Next time this happens try adjusting the location of the hull, ie, center it.

11. tburrey

tburrey Member

Heh guys appreciate all the help. I loaded 300 winchester primers last nite in new once fired shells with not the first hang up. I'll continue to work on some of the suggestions you guys have given me and try the Fiochhe's again and see if the problem is solved. Tom

12. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

ke4yyd has the same answer I have. Since I no longer have a lathe to make the sizer guide bodies I just make the part above the pin bigger with masking tape. Only lasts about ten years and then you need new tape.

Works for me.

Charlie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.