1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

mec primer problem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by striper, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

I have the mec 9000 manual. I purchased it in a package deal. It is like new but has the old primer feeder. The problem is the primers will not consistently seat in the primer hole. When the base rotates it will not drop and gets caught and will stop the rotation and I have to manually push the lever in the back to release the pressure to reset it in the hole by rotating it back so it will drop. What do I adjust to get it not to do this? Help appreciated.

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I'd make sure the primer seating system is in place correctly first, pin, spring and housing. If that part is ok, make sure the plate isn't cycling too fast to give the primer time to drop. That may solve your problem. Hap

3. striper

striper Member

How can you slow down the speed of the rotation? That I believe would solve the problem?

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Look on pages 22 and 30-31 of your guide. You'll find the fix/solution to your problem there. Hap

5. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

if I pull the lever on mine too slow it will not drop the primer correctly, I have to use a fairly fast and consistant stroke and the primers will drop correctly.

tony

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Take the few minutes and make sure your old style primer tray is set right. Although I have all new styles on my presses, I still set up many old style feeders.

If your feeder is set right, it will drop a primer just as the press bottoms out. ONE link looser on the chain will not consistently drop the primer.

Your chain should snug up, but should just BARELY engage the spring. I used old style feeders for many years, and never broke a chain.

Make sure the feeder drops the primer in the shellplate hole without cocking it.

The feeder and attachments must be TIGHT.

It sounds as though your chain may be a little tight. If not, look for a burr where the plate and the drop tube are welded. A rat tail file will take care of that issue, if there is one.

7. argus tuft

argus tuft Member

These machines are made to drop USA made primers, you will have problems with some of the imported primers which have slightly larger rims and catch in the primer washer as the table rotates.

Best results will always be with USA made primers

Argus

8. crk

crk Member

Like someone said earlier = look at the set-up to make sure that the alignment of the tube where the primer drops down aligns with the little hole that takes the primer to the second station. If it does not drop in there properly, it wont drop the primer into the prime station on #2 and you get the powder drop through the unprimed shell if you don't catch it. (been there before)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.