1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC primer feed sticky

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Old Cowboy, Sep 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

MEC 9000G upgraded with a new style primer feed tray. After a few thousand rounds the primers don't seem to want to slide down into the feeder as good as they did at first. Do you lube the tray or something? If so what do you use that doesn't get into and dud the primers?

John C. Saubak

2. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

I use car wax.wipe it on let dry wipe it off.works great.
    tracy

3. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I have read on this site about Pledge, spray on car wax, regular car wax, and other various slippery things.

I have used them all, but believe at this time the best application is Hornady One Shot cleaner/dry lube. It does not build up, and is slicker than fancy spray on car detailers I previously used.

I just setup a new Spolar on Wednesday, and before mounting the primer tray hit it with spray on detailer twice, wiped it down each time, and hit it with air to make sure it was super dry. Pretty slick, but was not satisfied. Took the Hornady, sprayed it up including q-tips in the channel, and it was significantly slicker, cleaner and no build up of any sort. There was a trace of primer dust before I cleaned it since the counter had like 140 on it when I got it. Clean as a whistle now.

Safe on plastic too, if you tend to over spray and hit the cover.

4. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Car wax.

Frank

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I just sprinkle a small dab of motor mica on my tray and it lasts for months. Cheap and easy to use. I'm sure a bit of graphite would work just as well...... Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

My 9000E came with the new-style primer feed and it worked well for a short while. Then I experienced the same thing as John and tried Pledge, car wax, graphite and other cleaners and polishes. In fact, I grew so frustrated with it that I bought a NIB old-style primer feed just in case.

I contacted MEC about the concern and they requested the primer feed back for examination and replaced it with a new one. So far, so good!

Ed

7. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I do something that may be considered a no-no but it is safe & it works. Put 2-3 drops of Rem-Oil(or other very free flowing oil)and wipe it in well all over with a finger. Then take a couple of sheets of toliet paper or a Kleenex & wipe dry really well. You will have a micro film of oil for the cup/flange to slide one. Since it is on the outside & bottom of the primer,you don't have to worry about contamination of the priming compound. You only need that micro film to slide on.

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Roger, I got a chuckle out of your post. Mine worked okay with Federal primers but became "sticky" when I changed back to Remingtons! Of course, it was strictly coincidence as the new one feeds Remingtons just fine.

Ed

9. plaw

plaw Active Member

baby powder........................

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Pledge works for me............and it will work for you!

Hauxfan!

11. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I use bowling allie wax from Hom Depot on my 900GH. Work's great.

12. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Pledge is my slickie! Jake

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I've applied Liquid Glass auto polish to my trap about 5 times now, over the last 8 or 9 years! Makes the tray slick as a cats tail and lasts a very long time!

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

at to clean primer tray with to make it slick

mec primer tray lube