1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec primer drop

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 514678buckeye, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 514678buckeye

514678buckeye TS Member

When reloading on my Mec hydralic reloader when the primer should drop down into station #2 maybe 1 out of 10 will not drop all the way down and will prevent the shell carrier from advancing. I've clean the reloader and the primer station but it is still happening. As soon as I take pressure off the advancing arm I can back it up a little and then it will drop all trhe way down. Any suggestions??

2. folothru

folothru Member

slow down your machine you ae probaly try to run it too fast

3. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

Sounds like the shell carrier is rotating pre-maturely. Just an adjustment. heck your owners manual.

4. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

Place a magnet on the primer seating rod and it will help suck those primers into the hole. I use magnets out of a canibilized computer hard drive.

Adjust primer drop tube to be just above the rotating plate.

Possibly adjust the ball chain by one link to change drop timing.

5. shootsatem

shootsatem TS Member

Happened to me...called MEC...

Was told to remove the Spring Pad (its the thingy about the diameter of a quarter just under the powder drop tube) and polish it with a buffer...or just replace it...

The Spring Pad eventually gets concentric circles on top and the result is that the primer turns sideways and jams under the shell carrier...

I replaced the spring pad and problem solved...

Part number is 531-12

6. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Can also be a worn out hydraulic return cylinder. As they get worn out the shock adsorber effect goes away and allows the shell holder to rotate too fast jamming the primer.

jim brown

7. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Buckeye,

Try polishing the top of the spring pad as suggested above. I just use some Scotch-Brite, which does the trick in about a minute's time. Even with the machine adjusted correctly, that spring pad must be smooth to prevent primers from jamming between stations #1 and #2. It's kind of like the Pledge-on-the-primer-tray trick (smooth is good).

Good luck.

Jon Reitz

8. 514678buckeye

514678buckeye TS Member

Jon Reitz has found my problem. I polished the spring pad with my wifes Scotch Brite pad from the sink and today I just loaded 1000 shells and did not have my described problem. Thanks to all but now how can I get out of trouble with my wife when she found her dish pad on my reloading bench.

9. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

You will have to buy a new Scotch Brite pad for her.

Charlie

10. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Next time take a new one from the box under the sink. Those things come in handy for a lot of uses. Your in the clear unless she knows how many she should have left. Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.