1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

mec powder bushings??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by knutershooter, Aug 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

Anyone expirience a discrpency in what your loading manual says vs actual bushing required in your MEC loader? I use a scale to weigh it out and always need a higher bushing than the book says. Just curious if anyone else has noticed.

2. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

It has always been like that.

3. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

The bushing come pretty close on a single stage mec. That's what they are engineered for. On a progressive, they will drop lighter.

Ajax

4. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: I use a scale

A must have...

5. zaob1

zaob1 Member

What spc says...........never trust a bushing, use a scale.

Rick

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

" I use a scale to weigh it out .."

That's all you need to know. Congrats on being ahead of the game.

Lot to lot powder variations are pretty common. Since you're using a device that measures by volume (bushing), knowing the weight (by scale) is essential. You're doing great. Good luck.

7. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Well, everyone else on here has answered the question as I would have, but to throw in my .02 worth, please use a good scale. MEC bushings on a progressive have always thrown light for me. However, I have found that using a bushing chart I end up keeping on hand bushings a couple of sizes on either side of the listed bushing for the load I want. I guess I do this as bushings are mail order for me, not being able to go down to the "corner store" to pick up what I need. Seems I always need one of the larger ones though. The lighter bushing concept probabaly stems from liability issues. I would hazzard a guess that MEC shot bars always seem to throw shot weights a bit light for the same reason. Has anyone ever had a stock MEC 1 1/8oz bar throw 1 1/8 oz. of 7 1/2's magnum shot?

8. James344

James344 Active Member

Have to agree with everybody else. I actually have an older version MEC 650 with the dials on the sides of the charge bar, but I bought a new measure and charge bar as a replacement if and when the old wears out. I only purchased a #31 and #32 bushing. #31 lists as 18.5 gr, and #32 lists as 19.2 gr. When I put the new one on, #31 only drops 16.2-16.4 gr of Red Dot, which is what I load. The #32 drops 18 gr. Lucky I bought the extra bushing because I was going to order the #31 only. Might actually get another so I can make sure I'm holding the 18 gr range.

As far as the shot, my new 1 oz bar actually drop 1 oz. Surprised the heck out of me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.