1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec powder bushing for Promo powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dphillips8191, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dphillips8191

dphillips8191 Member

Does anyone know were I would find the MEC bushing sizes for PROMO powder? Alliant or mec does not have any info. Thanks for any help.

2. tedingraham

tedingraham Member

The link above will get to Alliant's bushing chart. Use Red Dot, but remember, this is only a guide. A scale is a MUST for all powder drop calculations, especially Promo.

Ted - Beavercreek, Ohio

3. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Use the same data as Red Dot........... Your bushing size will be about one size smaller. And you MUST uas a scale to double check Promo.

GS

4. maka

maka Member

Promo is a very low cost powder. I am on my sixth 8# jug. I agree with the previous remarks. If you are going to use Promo you need a good scale and must check the drops from each jug. Hypotheically speaking one jug might require x bushing and the next might require z bushing.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

THERE IS NO BUSHING CHART FOR PROMO POWDER! PERIOD!!!!!

Promo can vary from lot to lot and jug to jug. You need to select a bushing and weigh the drops and go up or down from there. Start with one or two bushings smaller than the Red Dot bushing and that might get you close. As always USE A SCALE!!!!

6. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

A #30 used to give me 17.5gr in my 650. But I can almost guarantee your results will be different! As others have said "WEIGH YOUR CHARGES!"

7. clydep

clydep Member

Need help.....Have any of you PROMO users encountered problems with this powder in "cold" weather? I switched to it back in the spring and shot it all summer and fall with no problems,until a few weeks ago. I was using 16.8 grs.in an STS case with a Win. primer and a Blue Duster wad, with good results. Then "cold" weather hit NW Pa.(temps in the upper teens to low 20's) and ignition became a problem. Strange sounds and lots of "crap" left in the barrel. I have increased the powder charge to 17.3 then to 18.0 and not solved the problem completely. Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance...Clydep

8. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

clydep: Try a different wad, I use Promo but I use the TGT wad or Claybuster clone sometimes use the Win. SL clone with about 16 gr. for 7\8 or 17 gr. for 1oz also use STSs with Rem.primer. have used this load as low as the 20s with good results. Good Luck-- Ross Puls

9. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Just one of the pitfalls of a back bored barrel, They are sensative to wads and charge weights in cold weather. Keep you ammo warm and the problem will go away.

Jim

10. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

Jim 101-you have to be kidding

11. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I have found that the best "bushing" for Promo powder in a MEC loader is a "Universal" charge bar and a good digital scale. Promo will change weights considerably from lot to lot and requires constant checking with a good scale. Very easy to dial in the correct weight without searching your bushing stash for the right one... Promo powder and a good scale go together like peanut butter and jelly.

I, also, have had some bloopers using Promo in colder weather. The load in question was 17.5gr Promo, 1oz. shot, XL-1 wad, and Fiocchi primers. I shot this load through a Wilkinson back bored Perazzi barrel measuring .742". Using the same load with Cheddite primers cured the problem.... It has seemed to me that the majority of the problems, in colder weather, with Promo has been more prevalent when using Fiocchi primers. I just flat quit using them and now shoot only Cheddites.... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
alliant promo powder bushing chart
mec bushing chart alliant promo

mec bushing chart for promo powder

mec bushing chart promo powder
promo bushing chart
promo mec bushing chart
promo powder

promo powder bushing chart