1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec powder bushing drop

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gordy h, Sep 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gordy h

gordy h Member

I have a 9000 some times it drops 15.2 the next time 16.8 tried other bushings , anti static sheets, etc. does anyone else have the same problem? what to do? I check every 6Th shell with both a digital and balance scale. HELP
    thanks Butch H

2. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Is your bar traveling all the way to the left at the bottom of the stroke?

3. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Check what blizzard said above...same thing happened to me...charge bar was not travelling full stroke. Adjust it to get full travel, then add a back-up lock nut to the adjustment. Best Regards, Ed

4. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

One other idea...another time I found a spider web in the drop tube...no kidding. Worth a check to ensure no obstruction. Ed

5. BLACKDOG

BLACKDOG TS Member

I have also found the bottle TOO tight binds up the charge bar at times

6. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Hold the handle down for a 2-second count (time it takes to reach for a wad) then release it. Some powders just won't totally fill the bushing if you just pull down then release the handle.

Andy

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Two questions:

1. How many rounds was that?

2. Do you armwrestle?

8. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

The speed you operate the handle can also affect the powder drop. I learned the hard way trying to load as many shells as I could in the shortest amount of time. The shells can vary by quite a bit. I now try to use a good rythm to allow a complete powder/shot drop. Jackie B.

9. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

get an AUTOMATE , all your problems will be gone, and i know it's a lot of money , but's it's worth it.

10. Bob Merkov

Bob Merkov Member

Butch,

Try grounding your machine, it helps.

Bob M.

11. brantman

brantman TS Member

Bob how did you ground your mec ?

12. gordy h

gordy h Member

It is the 9000GN I'll be trying all of the things posted and let you know what happens THANKS ALL OF YOU ! BUTCH H

13. 682LINY

682LINY Member

If you go to a baffle,,,get the metel one not the plastic,,,,it will save headaches latter,,,I know ,,had to cut a lot of lite power drop shells open and reload,,,,no more problem after changing to metel baffle

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Using a well used (dirty) shot bottle will cure your static problems. Putting several washers under the spring anchor on the shot bar will help the spring return all the way if a piece of shot jams the bar.

Make sure the shot bar indexes all the way to the left WHEN SHELLS ARE IN THE MACHINE. A positive stop at the top AND bottom of the stroke helps consistency. Allow the handle to remain at the bottom of the stroke until the shot falls into the hull. This will give the powder bushing time to consisently fill. I typically get +/- .2 grain variation with powder charges. I use Rex 1 and Solo 1000 in 12, Unique and WSF in 20 and 28, and 296 in the wienie gun.

I always use the red plastic PC baffle. You do not need a washer with them. Tall bottles and the support for them make for loading a flat quickly on the model with the new primer feed.

Over the years, I have broken several handles. I now keep a spare for my five 9000's. Two 12's, one set up for paper, one for plastic, and 20, 28 and 410.

Getting the hull and wad in the press quickly and making a deliberate, unhurried stroke is the key to quick, consistent loads with your 9000. ;^)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.