1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec powder bushing and info 4 clay dot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by superump, Sep 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superump

superump TS Member

Well it's that time again, I have shot up all the shells I loaded last winter. I can't find a mec bushing chart for clays dot from alliant. The alliant web site has a bushing chart but my computer wont open it. Mec does not mention clay dot in their chart. I want an 1145 fps load, I use remington nitro shells, cheddite primers and 1 1/8 oz load of shot. It looks like 17.3 to 17.5 gr. Anybody else use this load or any other suggestions? What bushing would that be? Our clubs final shoot is this Thursday and I would like to load some of these and try them. Thanks in advance.Dale

2. autogun

autogun Member

On my 9000H, a 31 throws 17.0 gr and a 32 throws 17.5 grains of clay dot.
    Your mileage may vary.

3. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

Mec bushing #32 17.4 gr. out of Alliant reloaders guide. This what I have been using for years.

4. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Use the one that drops the desired weight in your scale. Weighing charges is the only way to find out what they weight with your method of operating the press. That said, since ClayDot is supposed to be the same density as Clays, and MEC bushing #31 drops 17.3 Clays by their chart, I'd start with that one. That amount, of course, is how much a MEC technician dropped by average in a single stage press. Your mileage may vary. Weight your charges.

5. kene

kene TS Member

no experience with clay dot but with clays I found that in my grabber the drop is about 0.8 gr lighter than the MEC chart says. as Bob K says weigh your charges [average about 10 AFTER dropping 3 or 4 "warm up" charges to settle the loader]. MEC says in their chart that the charges are for single stage presses and that progressive loaders will be different -- so weigh -- doesn't take long and will likely be instructive.

6. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

Dale...

Bob K gives good advice. Choose your bushing with your scale and not with a chart. Keep in mind that how consistent the drop weights depends on how consistently you operate the press

Mike

7. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Here is a picture of the MEC Chart out of the Alliant Powder Reloaders Guide for 2011. I just today loaded some 1oz loads using Claydot and the #32 bushing.
    jbmi_2008_03037.jpg

8. DanLee

DanLee Member

Most charts for MEC bushings are based on single-stage presses. I've noticed that Lyman's 5th edition chart is closer to what you'll get with a progressive.

Dan

9. superump

superump TS Member

Thank you for some GREAT answers! I also would like to try a skeet load with this powder with same components except a 1 oz. load at same speed. Thanks again!

10. cp

cp TS Member

superump, You still did not tell us if you are going to use your scale. Do you have one?

11. superump

superump TS Member

Yes I have the RCBS charge master 1500 and dispenser. I ALWAYS use my powder scale and always check every 8th to 10th load to make sure its always where I want it and consistant. Just starting with this new clay dot powder there isnt a lot of info out there for a starting point or reference. I hope I like this powder because it's a LOT cheaper in our area and as everyone knows any little bit helps in this day and age when you shoot as much as I do. Looking for a good 1 oz 12ga skeet load for this powder. I also use clays and 700X. Would like to go all clay dot if I can find the loads I like. Thanks, Dale

12. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

You didn't say what wad you use, but if you use a Figure 8 wad (or clone), a #31 bushing is what is in my 9000 right now for that 1145 fps load with Clay Dot. It drops 17.3 grains.

13. v-strom 650

v-strom 650 Member

16gr claydot, Fed 209A primer, Gun club hull, XL1 wad; clean, soft shooting, economical load that should be around the speed you need. J. Terre

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

clay dot bushing chart

clay dot powder bushing chart

mec alliant powder bushing chart for clay dot

mec bushing chart for clay dot powder

mec bushing chart using clay dot
mec powder bushing and clay dot
mec powder bushings for clay dot
powder bushing for clay dot powder