1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec powder baffle

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Spanky, Aug 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

The rubber and brass washer is not needed. Are you using the red plastic type? In my opinion the plastic version does work better.

2. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

I do not use the brass washer that comes with the baffle, do you have the mec brass washer in the pic with the 4 tits up and a grommet then your baffle and see if that don't work a lot better and you won't have powder leaks ether.

thanks
    lee

3. JimmyP

JimmyP TS Member

i use the red PC plastic one myselfbut when I asked Mec which one to use they told me that if they thought that it needed one they would supply it with the loader. No kidding. I went ahead and ordered my parts and thought how rude that really was. No explanation, no reason. i do find that it does make my drops a little lighter on some powders but more consistent on all of them. i use no bushing or washer at all with mine. Hope this helps.

Jimmy

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Ozbud,

It's not a red plastic bushing. It's either a Red Plastic BAFFLE or one made out of Pot Metal. The washers they have mentioned fit under the baffle See the pics. If your's is a red plastic baffle, no washer should be required. If yours is the metal one, then either set of washers would work. My recommendation is to toss the baffle and use what Mec supplied. Using a baffle is just adding one more place for powder to bridge. Just keep it simple and use it as it was designed. ESPECIALLY if you are unfamiliar with the baffles, how to set one up, and how they work.

5. rdf59

rdf59 Member

Everyone I know with a MEC has discontinued the baffle. The people at MEC are the most helpful, customer oriented individuals I have dealt with (along with the Caesar Guerini people) and if they tell you "no" to a powder baffle, they know --- and they are helping you. Believe them.

6. vegas blaster

vegas blaster TS Member

plastic baffle for more consistant drops. Jeff K. JM2C!

7. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

If your old mec loader has the measuring bar connectors that look like inverted bottle caps, a baffle can't work--not enough threads--you will have to change the measuring bar-

Phil Berkowitz

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Years ago, when AutoMate was just starting up, I asked Mec about it.

Their reply was along the lines of........That piece of sh*t........

Well they ended up buying the rights to it and now sell it as there own.

I for one use a red baffle and it works great and it cuts way down on powder leakage to where it is a non factor.

Mec is not going to say a product works great unless they are selling it.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Hauxfan!

9. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Hauxfan, my Mec loaders stopped making a mess when I installed the red plastic powder baffles.

Phil Berkowitz

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Baffles can help by keeping a constant pressure on the powder as it enters the bushings. The best ones I have seen are inside the powder hopper. They are an inverted V shape and fit snugly against the plastic powder hopper. They are easily made from aluminum flashing or even cardboard. A 10' by 6" roll of aluminum flashing will make about 3,000 baffles.

Pat Ireland

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Preventing leakage is not the main function of the baffle. Uniformity is.

The main attraction for me is that I do not have to keep refilling the bottle at the half full stage to keep consistency. Before the Baffle the charges would lighten if the bottle was allowed to go below half full.

HM

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Well, I side with MEC on this issue. I learned a long time ago that the engineers that build our automobiles really do know more about them than just about anyone else and that applies to all things mechanical.

MEC has advised against the use of a baffle for as long as I can remember BUT they have never told reloaders why they take that position, just as the automakers have seldom told technicians at their own dealerships why they advise against repairing a vehicle using a more appealing method. I've always felt they should share that knowledge because intelligent people need to know the "whys" before they buy into something. The same thing probably could be said about MEC.

About two years ago, I caved in to all the pro-baffle talk on here and bought the one of apparent choice, the red plastic one. Not long afterward, I took a flat of freshly-loaded shells to a shoot and had one blooper after another; sometimes the wad cleared the barrel and sometimes it didn't. After two boxes of that embarrassing nonsense, I quit and went home to see what happened.

By weighing shells loaded previously to establish what my one-ounce load should weigh, I weighed the remaining shells in that flat and found most of them were from five to 18 grains underweight (the powder charge was 18.8 grains). Upon cutting the light ones open, I found anywhere from a few flakes to a partial charge of powder inside.

I assumed my charge bar was sticking but cycling the loader didn't reveal any problem. I then looked into the empty powder reservoir and noticed that the red baffle wasn't visible. Thinking that was odd, I decided to remove the powder reservoir but when I touched the baffle to unscrew it, the red color was suddenly visible. As it turns out, the baffle had become electrostatically charged and when I grounded it by touching it, I discharged the static electricity and the powder clinging to it dropped into the bushing.

My loader is grounded by being attached to a grounded electrical device, the AutoMate, but plastic is not a good conductor, thus the ground did not affect the baffle. Static built up in it, powder stuck to it and a full charge only dropped when vibration and the weight of the powder above the clog forced the baffle open.

I eighty-sixed the baffle and haven't had a blooper since! When you think about it, MEC does sell "improvement" items for their loaders - the Bottle Support System is one example. So I have to believe that if MEC thought they could make money selling us another such device, they would as long as that product actually improved the loader.

Maybe MEC really does know best when it comes to their products!

Ed

13. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

My experience with the powder baffle setup was the same as Ed's. Life got better once I DX'd the plastic baffles. That said, none of my MECs have ever dropped real good powder drops when it comes to consistency though. This includes using all of the tried & true recommendations concerning pulling the handle the same way ever time, ensuring the bottles are filled, grounding, “static cling”, holding your mouth right, etc.

F/S - Powder baffles for MEC loaders.

Jon Reitz

14. AveragEd

I knew that post was going to draw fire when I hit the "Submit Message" button.

Rick, if the electrostatic charge caused a problem because of the powder or the reservoir or ANYTHING else, it would still exist, wouldn't it? It didn't before the baffle and hasn't since the baffle, hence...

Everyone can have "big problems" with static electricity because everyone has a loader through which powder flows. That "flowing" consists of one material rubbing against another and that can cause static electricity. A ground will render it harmless by preventing it from accumulating but a non-conductor along the ground's path interrupts the effects of the ground.

When Jon sells his baffles, I have one plastic and one metal one in my loader parts box that I would sell, too!

Ed

15. AveragEd

1 - Even using PB powder, which has very fine flakes, I've never had a powder leakage problem using MEC's brass washer and rubber grommet.

2 - Using one of the larger shot reservoirs for powder eliminates that problem.

3 - That's good. I'm still anti-baffle.

Ed

PS 10-4, good buddy.

16. AveragEd

No, I just tighten the bottles "fingertip-tight" and everything works as designed.

Ed

17. shark1

shark1 Member

I use a metal powder baffle, with rubber O ring and brass washer. I also use the tall bottle for powder, (not the standard short bottle). I never let it go below 1/4 mark. I get some very good loads. I check the first 10 , and the every 10. I did read about this style on T'S and must say it works. Michael Sharkey, DC

18. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Just one more..If MEC had thought of it first, It would have been a MEC accessory. There is more then one idea they drew from their mailbag of suggestions that two years later became standard or added accessories with their name on the item.

Big Jack

19. psfive

psfive Member

I use the pot metal version of the powder baffle. I have never had a problem I could blame on the powder baffle. I can also tell you I have never had a static problem that left powder stuck to the inside of the bottle or the baffle. Neither my loader or bench are grounded. I can tell you my powder drops are a lot more consistent with it than without it. I use an old MEC 650. Most of the time I use Clays or Clay Dot powder. I also use the tall bottles on both the powder and shot. I try to keep the powder bottle between 1/4 and 1/2 full or more all the time. My 2 cents. Paul

20. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Big Jack, You got it right.

Hauxfan!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
grommet function in mec reloaders

mec powder baffle

mec powder baffle do they work
mec red powder baffle
mec reloading brass washer and rubber washer which way do they go