1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC Paper Crimp Starter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smthro06, Sep 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smthro06

smthro06 Member

I just received a crimp starter for a MEC reloader that is to be used for paper shells. I am having problems with using the part properly. The part is aluminum and the mounting hole is larger than the attaching pin on the press. I removed the mounting bolt and place the part on the bolt above the attaching pin used for the standard 6 or 8 point plastic starter. This didn't really help the start crimp much. I did get a rounded taper in the top of the hull but it was not deep enough to create a proper finish crimp. I ended up going back to the standard 6 point for now but I would like to try to replicate the proper crimp with this part. I'd love to know if anyone has used this part and how I should properly put it to use.

Thanks,

Scott Felix

2. ironhead

ironhead Member

you want to get a smooth spindex star crimp starter.Its a black plastic like the 6 and 8 point crimp starters.

3. 1903

1903 Member

You don't need a crimp starter. This is what my hulls look like without using a crimp starter. Just the crimping and finish die on my Mec9000. I bought the tapered crimp starter and never installed it on the machine

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

finished crimp starter

mec paper crimp starter
super crown crimp starter