1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

mec loader problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by clayman51, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clayman51

clayman51 Member

I am having problems with my mep hydraulic 9000 loader. Problem, shell will not drop all of the time into the collect. I have cleaned the inside of the collet,problem still remains. I replaced the collet per the manual,problem still is there. I can load 10 or 15 shells fine and then one will not drop or drop half way and then the collet crushes the shell. Has anyone run into this problem before and what did you do to fix it.

I can call mec in the morning but if I can find a solution to the problem here it would be great. Nothing in the archives on this problem either.

Thanks in advance

Dennis

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Dennis... Make sure there is no obstruction just below the primer drop tube where the primer drops out the bottom. It there is any obstruction there, it will not allow the complete downstroke of the machine and will only let the new hull to drop down only part way into the collett. This will cause the very problem you described. A full spent primer tray will cause this as well. I drilled a hole under my primer drop tube so the spent primers drop into a drawer on my bench. Watch the loader very carefully on the downstroke and make sure there is nothing that prohibits the press from going all the way down.......Just my experience......Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I had a time like that back several years and I want to say that I found a crushed lead pellet between fingers of the collet to cause it. But you seem to have covered that possibility. Oh, how'bout the used primer drop tube not dropping freely - it is on that tube that the shell rides to the lower position for sizing. Check out the drop tube and anything that might be restricting that below the loader.....Bob Dodd

4. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

I have crushed a number of shells on a 900G and all the advice above is good. I buy and recondition a number of Mecs and have run in to this many times. The raiser tube is inside the collet and like stated above, anything that won't let it fall to the bottom will help you crush your brass. The wad guide is connected to the rod and has a Y shaped guide that helps line everything up. If this Y gets off just a little bit, riser tube won't drop to bottom and you have a crushed hull. Funny thing is if the wad guide get bumped or knocked out of alignment, your riser tube won't drop correctly most of the time. Now, if if feel resistance and notice the shells will only drop halfway in the collet, I just wiggle or put the wad guide back in alignment, and the Y yoke allows the riser tube to drop all the way the the bottom and shell works fine. Let me know what MEC thinks but it has worked for me like a charm. IMHO Your Mec may vary! Omaha

I have a unit about ready to rebuild, so I went and took some pictures. The top pic show the yoke and the riser tube on the bottom of the collet. The blurry last picture shows the yokes and how it attaches to the wad guide rod. Hopefully your isn't this rusted but that is why I bought it cheap! Good luck.
    [​IMG]

5. Harley Lekvold

Harley Lekvold TS Supporters TS Supporters

Make sure your wad guide rod is dropping as far as it is supposed to, or this will cause your problem.

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Also, if your collet is set up too tight, this might cause problems as well. Run your adjustment nut down about a turn. Find a hull that will not chamber in your tightest chamber. Run the adjustment nut up one click at a time until that hull chambers. Often the collet is too tight.

Cheap hulls sometimes give this trouble too. I know, as that is about all I load. LOL

7. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

omaha has your answer rick

8. clayman51

clayman51 Member

Guys,

Thanks for all of the suggestions and replies.

I check everything suggested in the cleaning part of the machine. Everything looked good. Out of curiosity I changed hulls From Estate hulls to Federal top gun hulls to see if this was the problem. I loaded about 200 and had two crushed hulls. Before the switch I had as many as 12 out of 200 that would crush. Still not satisfied I called Mec to see if there was something else I was missing. Resolution: I had the ram tube that sets the wad in place adjusted too deep and this was interfering with the drop tube since they are connected. I was told by the mac service tech. that on a one ounce load that the ram should be set at the sixth mark from the top. I was closer to the fifth mark. After adjusting, I loaded some more shells and this seamed to take care of the problem. He also mentioned that the steel base is hard on the resizing collet and the wear on the collet is much quicker that with the softer base shells, the deformed collet may restrict the hull from dropping as it should.

Hope this helps someone else later on.

Thanks again for all the replies

Clayman51 AKA Dennis Menning

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I shuda' known that too, Dennis. I set my wad seating tube only deep enough to barely cause the measuring scale register just a hint of moving; maybe 5 to 10 lbs of pressure max. There's no need for more wad pressure which just crushes the plastic wad only to have it spring right back into the original shape most times. Glad you got it solved.....Bob Dodd

10. clayman51

clayman51 Member

Bob,

It kind of fooled me too Bob, Just did not think it would make that much difference. I too am glad it worked out. Trying to load 1200 shells to go to the Grand was no picnic with this going on. Just something else to put in the memory bank if it ever comes up here again.

Thanks again for all the help

Dennis

11. clayman51

clayman51 Member

Up, since I have seen several Mec Collet problems come up here.

Dennis

12. clayman51

clayman51 Member

top please

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to disassemble a mec loader

mec loader problems