1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec loader help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Dec 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I just went over to my shop to load some 410 shells on my grabber and for some reason it's wanting to bulge out the bottom of the brass and I noticed the resizer station is not coming up level with the base. I tried to adjust the lift to be even with the base and it made the bulging worse. It appears that the hull is not dropping all the way down in the resizer which would cause it to bulge the brass. I guess I can take it down and give it a good cleaning but would appreciate any suggestions as resizing the hulls is very important when I shoot them in my tube set. Jackie B.

PS. I know I can wait till Monday and call Mec but I thought someone might have run into this before and could shed some light on it.

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Any spent primers under the drop tube? Any #9s lodged between the fingers on the re-sizer? I'd guess #9? Hap

3. Shooting Jack

Hap, I removed the drop tube and found nothing. I then took a very sharp pointed angle prick and cleaned between and around the fingers. Still had the same problem. Jackie B.

4. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Loosen the wad starter so it can pivot on the vertical rod it rides on. Loosen the 1/2" nut at the top side of the bottom of the rod. Turn the rod until the base of the sizer elevator is even with the base of the machine. Tighten the top (lock) nut at the bottom, re-check the elevator height and re-adjust if needed. Re-locate the wad starter to fall directly centered on a hull in that station. You should be good to go. If the hull cannot fall all the way into the collett, the collett catches and crushes the rim which is where you get that bulge.

5. Shooting Jack

Hi Wireguy, That is exactly what I was thinking but when I did exactly as you suggest the bulging got worse, which would indicate a problem with the resizer I think. I'm going to dismantle it and give it a good cleaning and put antiseize on the collet and see what happens. Jackie B.

6. Hap MecTweaks

Jack, when I compress a small piece of shot in my 9000H, it flattens so much it resembles a powder flake when it lands on my glass topped loading table! After using the pick, I use compressed air to blow out the collet. One other thing, wipe all the oil off the drop tube also. Dougs info is spot on too. Good luck guy! Hap

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Make sure the outside of the elevator tube is clean and dry. If there is any oil or contaminent on it it will fail to drop freely and you will get the same effect. Check the inside of the collet that it slips through, the base where it slips through, and underneath the base to make sure nothing is hanging up the elevator tube.

8. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

You beat me to it Hap. Give the pup a hug for me.

9. Hap MecTweaks

Will do Doug!! Likewise to your's too! Hap

10. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

Possible cracked collet finger not springing back completely. D Winter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to dismantle a mec loader