1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec Loader dropping light

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by m fowler13, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m fowler13

m fowler13 Member

I just replaced my old charge bar with a new one.I am using a 9000g reloader with a 502 1 1/8th charge bar.I am using Lawrence magnum 7 1/2 shot. My problem is it is dropping light on the shot side around 478 to 480 grains.My old charge bar did this also, so I ground it out to make it it drop correctly.I was thinking if I purchased a 1 3/16th bar this might solve the problem.Old bar was not pretty as I really don't have the tools to go grinding away. Tell me what ya'll think. m fowler13

2. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

I would use the 1 1/8 bar, and need to be , use a rattail file. File from the bottom side of the bar until you get the weight you are trying to achieve.

David McMillen

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

MEC is known to drop light, shot and powder. I think it's a liability issue. Some people reload without a scale. Just covering their bases. Mark

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Now you're beginning to understand why they sell Universal Charge Bars. Some people hate 'em, but they have their place. At least you're weighing what your charge bar is throwing, that's half the battle. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

5. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I love the universal charge bar. There is no filing or honing out the bushings. I can get it down to the .1 of a grain.

6. m fowler13

m fowler13 Member

Thanks guys I will check into the universal charge bar.Going to grind this new one out at work. I'm going to see if a toolmaker will do it for me should be able to get a more consistant measure of a dropping point.He can put the bar on a machine and measure how much to take off. No oblong holes like the last one. m fowler13

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Maybe your machinist friend will let you borrow a tapered reamer and a T-handle to get the job done. That way you can do it at home and remove a little metal at a time until the drop is just right. HMB

8. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

They have adjustable ones too.

www.harborfreight.com/11-piece-adjustable-hand-reamer-set-38577.html

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Mec charge bars are drilled out for chilled shot, 2-3% antimony. Magnum shot with 6% antimony weights less than chilled shot. If you are using sizes 7-1/2 to 9's, you are still getting the same amount of pellets, it just weights less.

An adjustable charge bar will give you about 6-7 more pellets of 7-1/2, 9-10 of 8's. It doesn't sound like much per shell, but a 100 bird event means you have 600-700 more pellets. I've used an adjustable bar for years.

Wayne

10. shoobedoo

shoobedoo Member

I had not considered the chilled versus magnum shot angle, but it's an excellent point. In general I prefer to put as many pellets downrange as posssibe, but I can't imagine 6 fewer pellets per load is going to cost you many targets, not when you consider that more than a few people shoot 1 oz. loads routinely, at least from the 16 yd. line, and they seem to break targets just fine with some 50 less pellets per load than with 1 1/8 oz.

11. dhip

dhip Active Member

Mine drops light also.I just figure I'm saving lead.I use 1 oz. loads.

Doug H.

12. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Wayneo hit it on the head. The bar was spec'd for chilled shot, and magnum shot is slightly less dense. Reaming the bar helps get the weight where you want, but don't think it is going to be perfect forever. Next lot of Lawrence shot may have slightly different density, or the next bag may be West Coast instead of Lawrence. In .410, the weight droped from a stock bar is substantially less than the 1/2 oz it is supposed to be, usually around 112 gr vice 118 gr. Skeeters usually ream the bar to around 224 grains to ensure they do not exceed the 229 gr NSSA maximum limit. The few pellets in .410 DOES make a difference!

13. Doughboy

Doughboy Member

Mec figures the shot drop for size 8 shot. Using 7.5's will yield a lighter drop. I measured my loads as well and have indeed enlarged the shot opening. Now I get perfect 1 oz shot drops for all shot sizes.

14. m fowler13

m fowler13 Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. My guy and I are going to hone out the bar after work tomorrow. I will let ya'll know how this turns out. Hope to use it tomorrow night got a shoot Saturday.

15. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I loaded on a MEC650 1 1/8 charge bar (progressive charge bar) for about 5 years before I discovered it only threw slightly more that 1 1/16 oz. of Lawrence Magnum 7.5 shot. This was about 20 years ago. I corrected the bar with the use of a chainsaw blade round file. It took some time as I took a little off, loaded the bottle and weighed the drop charge. After about the 4th attempt, I hit the 1 1/8 oz. drop. This was the older bar without the insert. Once you get the bar the way you want it then you're set for life. BT100dc

16. m fowler13

m fowler13 Member

Well we cut out the bar and as you can guess I told the man to much. Got another bar and going to fix the problem today. Stay tuned when I'm on the job things happen ,but not always right. m fowler13

17. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

You're never going to hit the right amt unless you take incremental small amounts out, and test by dropping actual charges each time. This is why you need the press in front of you when you modify the bar. There is no easy way out (unless you buy an adjustable bar). Buy a tapered reamer and do it at home with the reloader in front of you. For what you spent for a 2nd bar, you could have owned a set of tapered reamers, or been half way toward owning an adjustable bar.

18. m fowler13

m fowler13 Member

Got it done skeet man. Did like you said honed a while then measured then honed a while then measured. Drops are in the 491-to 494 range. like most of you said there is no quick fix. So we are back on track and ready to load . Hope to meet some of you guys on the range this year and thanks for your input.
    m fowler13

19. Wildcat Lewis

Wildcat Lewis Member

M

When you change shot brands be ready to start all over grinding another bar. Best fix in my opinion is the one time $39.00 to purchase an adjustable bar.

WL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
enlarging shot drop charge bar
how to get a mec charge bar to drop a little less shot

me charge bar not dropping correct shot

mec 502 118 shot bar drops how much lead
mec charge bar actual shot drop
mec charge bar not dropping the right amount of shot
mec loader dropping light
mec shot charge light