1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC Large Capacity Primer Feed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shootsome, Oct 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shootsome

shootsome Member

Using the MEC large capacity primer feed I get a primer jammed at the opening to the drop tube when using Cheddite primers. It happens every couple of hundred primers and only with Cheddites. I've called MEC and they say they have heard of the problem but can't make it happen with their equipment in their shop. Anyone else having this problem?

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Did you check the primer(s) for a burr or saw something that looked different?

Also, those trays are dust magnets...

3. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

I have had this same problem with both Federal and Winchester 209 primers. Unfortnately is happens much more frequently than every hundred shells. I also have a problem with the primers not landing flush in the delivery hole (dont know the exact name of the slot that delivers the primer to the next station).

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I have 2 Mec's, both equipped with the larger primer tray. I spray a little Scotts Liquid Gold furniture polish on a soft cloth and wipe out the tray every now and then. The primers slide with absolutely no problems in either tray. As for having the primer drop flush into the primer hole, that is probably due to the primer drop tube not being adjusted right. My primer drop tube comes down and ALMOST touches the index plate at the bottom of the stroke. I can just barely fit a match book cover between them. The primer drops perfectly every time..... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Good advice from Trap2. It works.

I will go a little farther and suggest using a Q-tip to get the polish all the way to where the primers drop. It makes a difference in how those primers slide.

Hauxfan!

6. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

It is junk and a poorly designed piece of plastic. I threw mine in the trash and is the 2nd MEC product that has turned out to be a disappointment.I replaced it w/ a used older 100 primer tray i bought off ebay.

I bought a new 410 Mec Grabber and could never get it to load correctly- I called customer service and they asked if i bought the aftermarket plate kit to keep the hulls from shaking as the the hull moves through the stations! Are you kidding me over $500 for a reloader and i need a kit to fix their poorly designed junk!

MEC was once a great company w/ great products but their stuff now is junk!

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Come on, Blackfoot, tell us how you REALLY feel about MEC products....... lol.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

8. kw565

kw565 Member

Mine was doing the same thing, then I found I was tilting the tray too far and
    deforming the rubber tip on the end of the tube.
    Just raise the tray until it touches.

9. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

I have to agree with blackfoot, the new tray and feed system is poorly designed. My father in law has the old 100 primer tray and he doesent have any problem.

10. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

Potato Head ,i installed the large cap feed and had it running in about 5 mins or less

11. capvan

capvan Active Member

I switched my Mec 9000 from the old style primer feed (with the chain) to the new one. After a little tweaking, It performs flawlessly, all the time. I wax the tray and develop a smooth, slow pull of the handle. I can load for hours and have NO problems. I wish when you folks throw stuff away, you would throw it my way!

It's not the equipment that is the problem, it's the carbon unit interface :)

Bruce

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

It's not the equipment that is the problem, it's the carbon unit interface :) LOL

13. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I use Cheddites new primer tray and Auto Mate II, primer not falling correctly is a timing adjustment. I would guess dropping too soon. I too had the problem of primer hang and found I was lifting too hard after filling and created a burr in the drop hole. I removed the burr and now don't lift so hard. I think it is a great addition. Oh yea over 20,000 with very few problems,all minor. I have a couple of the old ones if you want to buy them. Jake

14. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I use CCI primers and they work fine. How ever I do have a problem every once in a while and it has not happened for a while a primer will flip over and jam things up. Thats rare but it has happened.

15. psfive

psfive Member

i have a MEC 650. I replaced the chain drive primer feed tray with the large plastic one. I could not make it drop a primer in the right spot to save my soul. Called MEC talked to them about it. Thet sent me a new mount for it. I put it on and not a problem since not one. Thousands and thousands of rounds later still no problem. I do wax the tray with automotive wax about every 5000 primers. I also use a q-tip to get the wax all the way to where the primer is pushed to the hole it falls into. The old one always needed coaching to work. This new one is the best money I ever spent to make loading closer to trouble free. Paul

16. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

I've put 10 of thousands of cheddite primers through my large capicity tray without a hitch. Best purchase I've ever made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
mec large capacity primer feeder

mec large primer feed problems

mec primer feed problems

mec primer tray
troubleshooting mec primer feed
used mec large primer tray for sale
when did mec larger primer feed