1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC JR Shot drop inconsistancy

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by revbook, Sep 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revbook

revbook Member

I am using a MEC Jr with Red Dot powder and when I use a #30 bushing I get pretty consistant 16.4 to 16.6 drops but when I use the #31 bushing I get 16.8 to 18.4 powder drops. I'm trying to get 17.0! What is going on. I don't weigh the first 6 drops after I add powder.

Don

2. revbook

revbook Member

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

According to the chart (see link) you seem to be dropping light most of the time. It could be an obstruction, static, bar not completing the full travel, powder migration, loading technique. Are you moving the bar across with some force? Are you using a powder baffle? Have you tried other powders and other bushings? How accurate is your scale? It's a mystery! Mark

4. revbook

revbook Member

Thanks for attaching the chart Mark. I try to move the bar with the same amount of force, forceful but not slamming it. There is no obstruction. I have not checked for static, how would I eliminate that? I am not familiar with a powder baffle, what is it? I have tried the #30 bushing and find it to be relatively consistant, just not what the chart says it should be. I have some 700X I can try to see if it is more consistant. Scale is dead on, electronic RCBS model I calibrate with check weights.
    Don

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Powder baffle, see link above. I don't have issues with static, but it seems to be more prevalent in other parts of the country, with low humidity. The common cure seems to be to wipe things down with a dryer sheet. You would notice if your powder sticks to the bottle. Good luck. Mark

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Don, I too was reloading with Red Dot until I also found large high to low drops with that powder. The Red Dot is a very large flake powder and it drops inconsistantly because of this. 700X is a much smaller flake powder and will drop with a very good consistansy. So does Hodgdon Clays. Some powders just drop better than others. Also try not to shake loader more on one shell than another. I don't use powder baffles because if my loader needed one Mec would supply one. break em all Jeff

7. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

according to the mec charts your to large with the #30 bushing,there guide shows that a #29 should throw 17.1 grains.Check the chart! Ray

8. cp

cp TS Member

Don't go by that chart. Instead go by the bushing & then a scale. It's the only way. The chart continues to be wrong for the last 15 -20 years. It is a good reference point though.

9. revbook

revbook Member

The chart is a mere guideline. I have found it to be off by two bushing sizes. It seems weird that I get somewhat consistant powder throws with the #30 bushing and wildly different powder throws with the #31 bushing.

Don

10. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

cycling just the bar will give errant readings because the powder doesn't get a chance to settle between charges like normal operation. You are loading for a shot gun not a precision rifle, .5 grains difference in powder drops would be small deviation in fps.

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The chart is really, really nothing but a sort of beginning point. I'd fold it up and toss it in a bucket. The first thing to consider is if the bar is moving all the way to the stop when you stroke the machine - this is an easy adjustment if not. Next is to stroke the machine as much as possible in the same manner each time; a consistent stroke is very important. Next is to stroke the machine and hold for a count of one or two before returning. Last resort, maybe call MEC where you'll get the best advice possible........breakemall

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

How is the loader mounted? A solid mount gives a more consistent powder drop and you should try to operate the loader the same way every time.

I agree that a +/- .2 gr variation is not significant but you are getting a lot more than that; and it does not make sense that one powder bushing is causing greater variation than another one. Something else is going on. Switch back to the #30 busing and see if the variation is reduced.

I doubt it will be. But if it is, borrow a #31 and see if a different bushing cures the problem.

A call to MEC may help.

Don Verna

13. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I'll agree with Don, it doesn't make sense one bushing works regularly but the #31 doesn't. Seems something must be unusual with it. Does it fit properly, or might it be causing some resistance when sliding the bar that might cause you to short-throw etc. It doesn't seem to me the bushing itself could really be responsible for variances of 2 grains from throw to throw. It could be interfering with the movement of the bar, but I can't see anything else a particular bushing could be doing to cause the issue. Do you have any trouble with an older bar shearing shot? All that banging on the bar can pack more powder in.

14. rdf59

rdf59 Member

I get rid of static by cutting a strip of Bounce about 1" wide and 3" long and putting it in the top of my powder bottle and secure it in place with the red stopper (plug). I have been dong this for several years and it has eliminated all hint of static.

I also use the remaining part of the Bounce sheet and stick it in my hat when shooting clays in a buggy, wooded area.

I stopped using Red dot due to inconsistant powder drops. Have gone to 700x mostly and Titewad a little.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec powder bushing inconsistancy