1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC is better than P/W How???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jollytrapshooter, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

A friend and I just received our new (used) P/W 800B reloader. Up until now, he'd loaded on a MEC 600 Jr. and I loaded on a 650. Well, we decided to put all of our components together and get the P/W. The P/W loads faster than both of our loaders put together.

The reason I am starting this thread is because I've seen people say "don't buy a P/W because their customer service sucks, get a MEC instead". After I've loaded on the P/W, I have this to say to anyone who says that: WHAT!? Comparing quality of each of the loaders. MEC: cheap stamped steel parts that shake and rattle every time you pull the handle, plus the primer feed that NEVER seemed to work, versus the P/W: nice machined parts, the smooth *clunk* every time you pull the handle, not to mention the distinct *click* you hear as you get to the "home" position. The P/W is just so much more reliable and higher quality.

On the whole customer service thing...we had a few problems with the loader at first, but just played with it until we saw what was going wrong and fixed it, no call to customer service. Just have to have the mechanical aptitude thing I guess...

There, now I've made my point. Hope it didn't seem like too much of a rant. Might post a few pictures of the loading room with the new addition if I have a chance to this week. Thanks, Josh.

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Josh. I am no man's schill. but I feel my purchase of a new PW 800Plus form Whiz to be one of my better moves. The product (finished shell) is more uniform, the crimps are more factory-like and the resize on brass STS is outstanding. The changeovers are fantastic and fast, the "5.5", 1-1/16 oz shot bushing is terrific as a compromise adn the primer drops are always perfect. I love the "dump" feature as I like to change from slow burn handicap loads (PB in that case) to Titewad in lite loads for all the family to use.

By comparison, my original Grabber form the late 80s was fine, it turend out a lot of doubles shells mostly as I shot new papers at the time fo rhcp and AAs fo rsingles. But loaded the throw away feds for Ds. Worked fine excetp the primer tray and feed. Most MEC guys know to watch the tray as it can mess up. My second Grabber was a late model and it was always playing tricks on me with primers and it required re-tuning as I turned out hulls. Giving respect whre it is due, likely the new tray system has that problem solved. And altough I am not in the market for another loader, I would consider a MEC again. But I doubt that I'll be replacing my PW anytime soon. I may add the electric drive for next season and perhaps the hopper too, but for now I have a family load cycle that works good for daughter and SIL's shooting needs. I ahve my costs down to about $3.20 a box for their looads. Not bad. Not bad. By load cycle, I mean I get them to make their own shells. I do provide the components.

Jack

3. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Cost per shell?

I have a 9000H which probably puts it in the price range of a PW progressive. I've had rotator cuff problems and consider it better for me than a machine where I have to pull the handle. The finished reload is certainly every bit as good as one from a PW or Spolar and will break as many targets. Customer service from MEC is A#1.

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Jolly',

I agree. The quality of a Mec is a little suspect when compared to the others. On the other hand, Mec's are probably responcible for teaching most loaders how to reload a shell. I suspect that 75% of the shotshell reloaders out there started on a Mec of some sort. Mec's make a good shell and are a good loader for the money.

I've got a couple of 366's now to do my loading on. The solid, ruggedness, and nearly bullet proof design has impressed me. It was a bit of a learning curve, but it didn't take long for me to get them dialed in.

I've still got a single stage Mec, but I've also got a couple of Pacific singles stage presses to work up loads on.

ec90t

5. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I own a MEC 9000G 12 GA., an older 600 jr. in 12 ga. and a newer JR. Mark 5 in 20 ga. I like them. The Spolar and P/W are better crafted machines hands down, no argument. It appears they are if appearance makes them better. I'll be honest I didn't feel like spending the $$$$$$$ on them. I'm glad I didn't because I don't thing the reloads that come off are any better. If something may be a bit quicker and slightly more convienient that doesn't bother me all that much.

I doesn't take a scientist to see the progression in reloaders it's just as the progression in target guns.

LEE, MEC, RCBS, P/W, Spolar, It ain't got nothing to go with customer service. It's about what you want to spend and what you think your getting. The only thing I'll say about MEC's is I never had a problem getting a part or making a repair. I can make my own repairs regardless of what machine I would own. The only customer service I need is a place to get the parts and a phone number. I had guys mess up or have wear on their MEC's (nothing can be damaged that bad in my opinion) and I get them going for them. It's no big deal.

If you can't get through to talk with a company about your concerns or needs, I wouldn't even buy from them. What good is a press if you can't get a spring or bushing for it when you need it or want it. If your going to get into reloading you should have the wear parts and springs as spares, they are fairly cheap. Every time you have an issue what are you suppose to do, box it up and send it to the factory.

6. Herman63

Herman63 Member

I've loaded for years and always on a MEC till recently.

The Mecs are fine but I just bought a PW 800 plus and I see no comparision between the two.

I to got mine from the WHIZ and have not commented as I wanted to use it for a while first, so I could properly judge it.

If you have used a mec mostly it does take a little getting use to but it is worth it.

I struggled with the price and after loading 1000 rounds I am postive I made the right choice.

P.S. The Whiz is the BEST!

Herman63

7. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

I bought a new Spolar a couple months ago for less money than one of our posters wanted for a used one. Want to see the invoice I can post it. Spolar ROCKS! Just my two cents. Bill

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I had an 800B that would not make Federal shells. Called the factory, "Oh yes, no problem. JUst take the sleeves to a machine shop, get them turned down, and buy this final crimp die for 90 bucks."

Traded even up for a brand new 9000 and never looked back. Yes flimsy. Also works just fine. (I really want a Dillon)

HM

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

A few advantages of the MEC:

1. Cost

2. Parts availability

3. Customer Service

4. Priming method (Supports the base wad while priming)

A few disadvantages of the MEC:

1. The need to buy parts for it.

2. Spillage

3. Lack of room on my bench to mount more than four.

The PW Loaders are well made, but they also have their issues. For the cost, it's hard to beat the MEC. For those with deeper pockets, the PW, Spolar, RCBS, or Dillon might do the trick.

10. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

I do agree that the MEC is a good loader for a beginning reloader. I'm actually selling my old 600 to a friend of mine who is just getting started. But, everyone normally updates. We paid the same amount for the P/W that I've seen people trying to sell 9000's for. I just don't see the the advantage of a 9000 over a P/W when you can buy them both used for the same price. The P/W holds more shot and powder, the way it drops shot and powder is WAY more reliable than the spring return on the MEC. The priming problem...doesn't matter when you load 1 piece hulls such as all of Remingtons. And I guess part availability isn't all that important as we could make just about any part we needed on the thing. Thanks, Josh.

11. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I've used an old MEC 650 for over 28 years; the primer feeder works 99.9%; it's quiet and no signs of wear. I've had one shell that was an underload the past 28 years using this reloader. This loader I bought used and only part that I've replaced was the wad guide ($2.00 item). It has met my loading needs and I have been 100% satisfied with it. As with the old saying, "The minds of equally reasonable men, or women, often differs.", so be it with reloaders. When I paid $40.00 for it 25 years ago, it was well worth the money and has saved me alot of money over the years. I wouldn't ask for more. Darrell

12. Dan Boardman

Dan Boardman TS Member

WELL - I keep my 4 P/W's in the basement when I'm not using them - so there....

13. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

The collet sizers, and the cam controlled crimping die are both a matter of opinion. I've never seen cold-hard evidence that they are better on the MEC than they are on the P/W. It crimps the shells just as good as the MEC, and it sizes them just as good if not better than the MEC. It also fully supports the hull as it's going through the stations, so no crushed hulls that I occasionally got on the 650. I like the fact that with two people, you don't have to watch anything as closely as I had to on the 650. The P/W is: insert wad, pull handle, insert hull, push handle. Versus the 650 that was: rotate shell plate, pull loaded shell, insert hull, insert wad, pull the handle, make sure it dropped a primer, release handle and make sure the shot bar returned all the way back, otherwise I had to push it. Granted this isn't the same procedure as the 9000, you just don't have to pull the loaded shell out or rotate the shell plate. Josh

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have owned several reloading press over many years. I have not been unhappy with any of them. I am now on my second PW and it is a fine machine.

Pat Ireland

15. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Who is comparing a single stage MEC to a PW progressive? Both a 650 and 9000 are progressives. Or I guess the 650 is considered "semi-progressive" since you have to turn the shell plate yourself. Just curious. Josh

16. larryjk

larryjk Member

MEC has the best crimp in the business. Even A P/W rep. told me that when I spotted a MEC crimper on his personal P/W 800B. So I took a long look at his setup and guess what? My P/W 800B now has a MEC crimper. Works like a charm.
    Of course, so do the crimpers on two MEC 650s I use for field loads in 12 and 20 gauge.

17. 1oz

1oz Member

I is stamped metal and plastic the other is machined metal and bushings you decide.

18. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

A 600Jr and a 650 are hardly a good comparison to a PW< not even a good comparison to a 9000!!

19. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

Putting the MEC 9000 on top of the electric ATS is your best bang for the buck.

Push button operation. Quiet. Safe. Small foot print. Adjustable. Factory parts and service, if you need it.

If you are willing to make fine tuning adjustments, you can produce shells equal or better than factory, for $3.50 a box.

All nationally available reloaders are excellent. But the electric ATS for the MEC 9000 makes all the difference and pushes it to the top.

20. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

How do you put a Mec crimper on a PW 800+ ??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.